DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Base Plate (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/58558-base-plate.html)

Dean Lomax January 18th, 2006 01:39 AM

Base Plate

Hi All

Just a query in relation to baseplates. Does anybody have a fix to make sure that the back section of the camera is stable as well as the front.

I use either the miller slide in plate or a proper JVC snap lock plate and the camera does not seem to have a place at the back to lock the camera onto the plate.

Thanks in advance
regards
Dean

Jiri Bakala January 18th, 2006 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Lomax
Hi All

Just a query in relation to baseplates. Does anybody have a fix to make sure that the back section of the camera is stable as well as the front.

I use either the miller slide in plate or a proper JVC snap lock plate and the camera does not seem to have a place at the back to lock the camera onto the plate.

Thanks in advance
regards
Dean

No, there isn't a place at the back of the camera. I am considering the plate anyway because I am finding the camera too back heavy if it's attached only to the tripod plate. Perhaps it may not be the issue with the stock batteries but with the IDX or AB it is. Otherwise my Sachtler tripod plate works fine and keeps the camera solid without any 'wiggle'.

John Mitchell January 18th, 2006 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Lomax
Hi All

Thanks in advance
regards
Dean

Not exactly - what I did with the miller slide in plate was to drill two additional countersunk holes to line up with the extra holes in the chassis of the camera. I then had to source some countersunk M4 screws to secure the baseplate to the camera. I got the idea from Craig Donaldson.

It made a huge difference to the stability of the camera, but you have to be very precise with the positioning of the holes (I made up a template before drilling) one of the screw holes is actually in the slot of the miller plate and it's off centre so unless you have a rigid template guide for both the drill and the countersinking it will not position correctly.

I would suggest getting it done at a machine shop if you don't feel confident.

Otherwise there's the KA551U which I assumed attached to the rear of the camera as well - if that's the one you've got then I guess not. Tim has one so he should be able to advise

Laszlo Horvath January 18th, 2006 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jiri Bakala
I am considering the plate anyway because I am finding the camera too back heavy if it's attached only to the tripod plate. Perhaps it may not be the issue with the stock batteries but with the IDX or AB it is. Otherwise my Sachtler tripod plate works fine and keeps the camera solid without any 'wiggle'.

Jiri, you just right. With the IDX battery adaptor the camera way too back heavy, I need put my PAG light on the cam, and still a bit back heavy.
Well..... I tried to save some money, but now I need to buy the tripod plate adapter. I have the Sony VCT-14 adapter from my DSR-300a, but I need the little triangle piece to attached to my camcorder. I can't find nowhere in North America, they can't even order for me, so I need to buy this little sucker from JVC Hungary next monnth, when I go visit my family. Only about $160-170

Laszlo

Tim Dashwood January 18th, 2006 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Mitchell
there's the KA551U which I assumed attached to the rear of the camera as well - if that's the one you've got then I guess not. Tim has one so he should be able to advise

Unfortunately, it doesn't attach to the rear like a full size ENG camera. However, when it is locked into the V-lock it is surprisingly sturdy.

Dean Lomax January 20th, 2006 01:43 AM

thanks

Hi All

Thanks for the pointers much appreciated.

Currently stuck in Boome, in the far north of Western Australia, covering the cyclone/hurricane which is off the coast near here. Unfortunately or fortunately depending on how you look at it, I don't have my 101 with me.

regards
Dean