DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Print to tape (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/58734-print-tape.html)

Jemore Santos January 20th, 2006 08:48 AM

Print to tape

Does anyone know how to set the HD100 to VTR mode while able to record, I want to print to tape on FCP but FCP can't recognise the HD100 I tried looking up the manual by using words like "print to tape" or edit or export but nothing came up, I want to make a master copy so I can use it in the future.

Laszlo Horvath January 20th, 2006 08:51 AM

Under the LCD screen have a VTR button. You need activate the VTR section with this button.

That's it.

Jemore Santos January 20th, 2006 09:04 AM

So if I want to print to tape via FCP I just go to VTR mode and click record?

Jemore Santos January 20th, 2006 09:08 AM

I don't think it will be that easy, thanks anyways

Laszlo Horvath January 20th, 2006 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jemore Santos
So if I want to print to tape via FCP I just go to VTR mode and click record?

I don't know much about FCP, I use Edius 3.61. In my case,I need to convert my edited project to .m2t file with Procoder Express (included in Edius, but avalaible as a standalone product too.[Procoder 2]) , and later I need to use MPEG TS Writer (included in Edius) to record back to the HD100 through firewire. And of course at this time I need switch the camera to VTR mode, under the LCD screen

I don't know tho this help to you.

Laszlo

Tim Dashwood January 20th, 2006 04:50 PM

Jemore,

You can easily output a HDV 720P30 timeline to the HD100 from FCP5 using "Print to Tape" in the File menu. Yes, the camera needs to be in VTR mode, and it would be best to choose the "HDV 720P30" easy setup to make sure the outputs are configured properly.
Ideally you have shot and edited in HDV 720P30, as that is officially the only JVC format Apple supports right now.

This doesn't necessarily mean that the source footage must be 720P30.
You can nest a 720P24 sequence inside a 720P30 timeline and it will still work. It is not the ideal way to output 24P because FCP creates some pulldown frames in the 30P sequence which do not conform to a standard 2:3 pulldown.

I've been experimenting with LumiereHD and 720P24 output without much luck. However, I did try creating a 60P sequence, and then nesting a 24P sequence inside and then encode back into a 720P60 m2t and attempt output to tape with both LumiereHD and DVHSCap. It wasn't a very smooth output (and I think the fault is in the way I encoded the file with Compressor), but the sound went down to tape OK even though the picture was jumpy.

A side note:
I did manage to invoke and record with a "never-before-seen" HD mode of HDV-HD60P. And I thought JVC told us a "720P60 recording without repeat flags mode" wouldn't be possible until the HD7000 came out???? This leads me to believe that since the CCD does clock at 60Hz and 48Hz that recording those frame rates to HDV tape wouldn't be out of the question with a firmware update.
Here's a photo of the HDV-HD60P mode in action.
http://homepage.mac.com/timdashwood/...c/HDVHD60P.jpg

Diogo Athouguia January 20th, 2006 07:55 PM

Quote:

I don't think it will be that easy, thanks anyways

I don't know about FCP, but in premiere you can activate the camera on the computer, it needs to be in VTR mode. The HD101 also starts recording in VTR mode by just pressing the rec button. I didn't know that the HD100U has DV-in capability.

Jemore Santos January 20th, 2006 09:30 PM

Tim and the rest of the guys

I managed to pull it off, it was really really easy, easier than the HC1 but I fell asleep so I couldnt keep you updated. VTR and press record after clicking "print to tape" on FCP easy as pie.

Tim, have you tried HDVxDV with the same thing you're trying to do with Lumiere?

Tim Dashwood January 20th, 2006 10:23 PM

Quote:

Tim, have you tried HDVxDV with the same thing you're trying to do with Lumiere?

HDVxDV doesn't output transport streams back to tape. It only ingests footage.

I'm glad it all worked out for you.

Steve Mullen January 20th, 2006 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
I did manage to invoke and record with a "never-before-seen" HD mode of HDV-HD60P. And I thought JVC told us a "720P60 recording without repeat flags mode" wouldn't be possible until the HD7000 came out???? This leads me to believe that since the CCD does clock at 60Hz and 48Hz that recording those frame rates to HDV tape wouldn't be out of the question with a firmware update.

The camera is able -- as you showed -- to record 720p60. And, it can capture 60p. The issue of 60p is the MPEG-2 encoder. It can only encode 30p.

Once a 60p encoder is ready, the "100" can become the "200."

NAB 2006?

Jemore Santos January 20th, 2006 11:30 PM

Awesome HD60p but Steve isn't that the same encoding sequence as live60p? is it not real 60p? Tim FCP can't recognize that yeah?

Tony Goodman January 31st, 2006 09:47 AM

Hdv-hd60p?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
A side note:

Tim

How did you get THAT! I think I saw it once on my camera when I first got it but have never been able to bring it up again and I thought it must have been wishful thinking. If this camera can record HD60p why have JVC also told me it is not possible. Protecting the new HD700? Am I being dumb here or have you really discovered something?
Has this been discussed elsewhere? If so where?

Tony

Tim Dashwood January 31st, 2006 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Goodman
How did you get THAT! I think I saw it once on my camera when I first got it but have never been able to bring it up again and I thought it must have been wishful thinking. If this camera can record HD60p why have JVC also told me it is not possible. Protecting the new HD700? Am I being dumb here or have you really discovered something?
Has this been discussed elsewhere? If so where?

Tony

I created a 720P60 sequence, dropped my 720P24 sequence into it, FCP added pulldown frames, I then exported the 720P60 sequence and used compressor to encode it to m2v at 19.2Mbps (I think - it was a long time ago) and then attempted to use either Lumiere HD or DVHSCap to output the stream back to tape. At that point the camera recognized 720P60 and switched into HDV-HD60P mode.
I know it is weird, but the mpeg encoder in the camera would not be involved because the stream is already encoded.
Unfortunately it didn't work as well as I hoped. It kept dropping frames. I will research this a little more when I have some spare time.

Tony Goodman February 2nd, 2006 05:26 AM

HD100-Good for live events?

Thanks Tim,

That wasn,t quite as simple as I had hoped, perhaps I need a kindergarten forum!

While I have your attention could I ask if you think the HD100 is suited to live event work? Corporate, weddings etc. This is my main source of business but as yet have not been confident enough to begin using the camera for real.

I cannot seem to get a setting that would get the look I want, you know warm, tonal shades but with that HD look. I cannot afford something like the Mini35 but I feel I should be able to get something from this camera without that.

I also cannot seem to get a setting which gives a really smooth slomo. If I check my footage frame by frame I have multiple images which look awful slowed down. I used your tip about turning off the shutter to get the default speed and that made it a bit better, but still not good.

When I first got the camera I thought all this was OK, but I think I was blinded by the HD image.

As I have worked with the camera a bit I am getting an uneasy feeling that it is not suited to my line of work. Especially as I have had major problems with dropout ( the unit has been back to JVC twice to sort it out!) It now seemes OK but I still get the odd bit and just 'know' it will arrive right in the middle of the 'money shot'. I use Sony PD150s at the moment and have never had such problems.

Would I be better just using the camera in DV mode for live work and use HD for documentaries ( I am working on a private project in my home city of Liverpool to celebrate the award of European Capital of Culture for 2008) and I am getting some great HD shots with that project.

Any advice or info would be really appreciated and, please, do not be afraid to 'dumb down' your answer....the dumber the better!!!

Sorry if this is changing the subject of the thread but I am pretty new to forums and am not sure of the protocol yet

Cheers

Tony

Jon Schellenger February 3rd, 2006 10:04 AM

Tim Dashwood,

I am new to the DV Info Net, and I must say that this is the best site on the web for learning about HDV.

I have a production company in South Florida and we have been shooting all the Florida Marlins spots, along with several others. We have been using the XL2 up to now because of everything being compact and keeping them within their budget. Now we have just finished shooting a spot for Lion Country Safari using the HD 100. I am on a mac os X system- using firewire- and using the HD50 deck. I followed your guide-lines on how to capture the footage (shot in 24p and using HDVxDV) and had some issues that I eventually worked through. So far, from what I can see, the camera does exactly what I was hoping for- shoot in a format that looks and feels like film.

Now I am at the end of post production- I have the time line set at 720p30. I need to print this 30 sec spot to Beta SP. I do not have a blackmagic card, so my plan was to shoot it out of the computer via firewire, into the HD50 deck (or my other standard DV deck) then out of one of those decks to the beta machine via s-video.

Question 1- is that possible?
Question 2- Shoot I have a blackmagic card fedex'd to me and go that route? Even if this is going to be on a standard def format.
Question 3- Do you know who offers consulting for hire on the HD100/final cut pro 5 system? I don't mind forums, but we are usually on very tight deadlines. If there is a way I can contact you, please let me know.

Thanks for you time,

Jon Schellenger