Have HD100 for the weekend at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old January 26th, 2006, 05:40 PM   #1
MPS Digital Studios

Have HD100 for the weekend

I am using an HD100 for the weekend, so if anyone has any thoughts on settings, etc., let me know. I've only used the camera two other times, but very briefly, so any tips on specific looks, let me know! I'm always willing to try something new!

heath
Old January 26th, 2006, 06:36 PM   #2
Trustee

I’m not sure what you mean by “used it very briefly”, if only tested it over a dealer or actually shot with it. But the most important thing I can tell you is, if you turn the camera on and see the split screen, do not panic. Just let the camera warm up, white balance correctly before your shots and correctly set the exposure and you should have no problems. That’s if you are shooting in a low light environment. If you are shooting day externals you should have no problem whatsoever if you just avoid overexposure, as with is any video camera. Keep your aperture between F2.8 and f5.6 for best results. If needed use the built in ND filters or a matte box with stronger ND filters. Do not shoot with the iris closed to far.
Those are actually procedures you should take when using any video camera.
About looks, Tim Dashwood is the expert and creator around here. He has taken the time to work on developing many different looks, including settings for low light and looks to match famous movie looks like Amelie etc. He was nice to share his “recipes” with the community. You should be able to find them in the forums if you do a search.
Have a good time with the camera.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2006, 07:06 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath McKnight
I am using an HD100 for the weekend, so if anyone has any thoughts on settings, etc., let me know. I've only used the camera two other times, but very briefly, so any tips on specific looks, let me know! I'm always willing to try something new!

heath
Try here for settings
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2006, 08:48 PM   #4
Major Player

Wide Latitude Setting

Tim did a terrific job by puting this together. I am using his parameters for Wide Latitude with awesome results. It gives you a great footage to do whatever you want in post, just because you really have acquired a great footage with a great latitude that the posibilities in post are incredible. I use the Cineform AspectHD color corrector/balancing and MagicBullet with very good results. Good luck and happy playing with the toy over the weekend!

Luis
Luis Otero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2006, 03:07 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Be sure to turn sharpness to min or off. This will get rid of the noisy image and you'll be left with a stunning filmic image. I use Tim's Cinewide setting with sharpness set to off. I'm in love with this setting combo. Give it a try!

Thanks,
Eric James

http://www.expertmagic.com/
Eric James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2006, 09:12 AM   #6
MPS Digital Studios

I've gotta say, there is a lot for image control in the camera menu, bested only by the XL H1. Three or four levels of black stretch is interesting.

heath
Old January 28th, 2006, 10:22 AM   #7
Major Player

Check this out

Heath,

If you want to have a good perspective on this and other competing cameras go to http://www.dv.com/features/features_...leId=177103305 for what I think is a great review of professiopnal testing on the main HDV cameras. The HD100, overall, is the winner. Maybe the Canon may have a "better resolution", but it is in 1080i. If the footage is converted to progressive, it may not be as good as the HD100 since it will loose resolution...

Luis
Old January 30th, 2006, 02:09 PM   #8
Major Player

Update?

Any update on your tests? Please, keep us posted!

Thanks,

Luis
Old January 30th, 2006, 02:14 PM   #9
Major Player

Update?

Any update on your tests? Please, keep us posted!

Thanks,

Luis
Luis Otero is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems