Protection for welding shot? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old January 28th, 2006, 01:12 PM   #1
Trustee

Protection for welding shot?

Hi.

I need to shoot a scene where somebody welds a piece of steel using a MIG welder. Of course I'll be zooming in from safe distance but do I need to protect the camaera sensor with a filter?

TIA.

--
Paolo
Paolo Ciccone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2006, 02:01 PM   #2
Trustee

May sound crazy, but how about setting up the camera to look through a welding mask. It's the ideal filter and the shot could be interesting.
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2006, 02:48 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen L. Noe
May sound crazy, but how about setting up the camera to look through a welding mask. It's the ideal filter and the shot could be interesting.
It's a possibility but I wanted to try also without such a dark filter, just in case the rest of the scene gets lost. Ideally I'd like to see part of the nozzle and surrounding elements.

Thanks for the suggestion.

--
Paolo
Old January 28th, 2006, 03:25 PM   #4
Major Player

No need for any filters, just set your ND to get the right exposure and stay at a safe distance so that sparks don't hit you (and the camera). The main thing is that YOU don't look at the welding with your bare eyes. Looking through the viewfinder or LCD is safe. It's done all the time, I have done it myself a number of times.
Old January 28th, 2006, 04:27 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Bakala
No need for any filters, just set your ND to get the right exposure and stay at a safe distance so that sparks don't hit you (and the camera). The main thing is that YOU don't look at the welding with your bare eyes. Looking through the viewfinder or LCD is safe. It's done all the time, I have done it myself a number of times.
Thank you Jiri.
I actually have experience as a welder and we will be shoting this with the necessary masks.

--
Paolo
Old January 29th, 2006, 03:37 PM   #6
Major Player

I've done welding shots before, and got good results with an ND filter (on top of the camcorder's ND filter) with a polarizer filter.
Frederic Segard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2006, 03:39 PM   #7
Major Player

HD100 and PPro2.0

....... deleted
Frederic Segard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 10:18 AM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederic Segard
I've done welding shots before, and got good results with an ND filter (on top of the camcorder's ND filter) with a polarizer filter.
Thanks!

--
Paolo
Paolo Ciccone is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems