JVC Quality at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old January 31st, 2006, 05:51 AM   #1
New Boot

JVC Quality

Just wondered how many other people received their HD100 broken/defective in some way? I am new to pro JVC and was surprised to find that the lens had quite a lot of dirt inside.

Was yours defective, and if so what did you do about it. It seems that I have seen people discuss exchanging their cameras because of SSE. I don't live in Hollywood, NY etc. so driving down to exchange it wasn't possible. I am nervous though because I was told to send it to their repair facility and was told they hadn't worked on one yet so mine is going to be a learning experience. It has 0 drum and 0 unit hours, when I sent it in.

How do you get in touch with someone in JVC Sales, any contacts? Of course I hope to be pleasently surprised when mine is returned. That is I hope it's mine. I will post my follow up here when I get it back. I was planning to do a whole web site devoted to my whole JVC experience but I will have little to talk about other than this but maybe that is usefull to so that people can see how good/bad their support is which remains to be seen.
John Schlesinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 06:13 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi,
Thought you might be interested in my JVC sales story. Want to buy an HD100 within next 3-4 weeks. Emailed UK sales twice with a couple of queries. No reply. Send follow up email, with a complaint about lack of response. This generates an apology, and a request for further information so that they can reply to my email. I send further information, since then... no reply at all. Seeing as one of my enquiries concerned getting a list of authorised dealers (Not asking too much, is it?) it has dented my confidence in JVC. Added to that the fact that the battery promotion in the USA is not available to UK customers, I am beginning to wonder if the HD100 is the camera for me or not...
Paul Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 09:04 AM   #3
Major Player

Paul, I would give JVC a call with the number on their website. Their emails are a little slow, but they answer the phone and there aren't too many levels of automated options to sit through.

Proactive have a good price on the HD100 and 101. I am getting another quote through this afternoon, so I'll see what that is like. I am also looking at the Pro-X battery kit, half the price of the IDX!
Mike Marriage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 09:56 AM   #4
JVC America

JVC Support

Hi John,

Here's a few points that might help:

1. First, be aware that JVC Professional offers a 30 day initial failure on all of our products. If you've had the camera less than 30 days, and there is a real problem with it, then it can be replaced. Here is a link for the details on this policy: http://pro.jvc.com/prof/support/pepolicy.jsp.

Also, technical support is available at 1-800-582-5825, 9AM to 5PM EST.

2. If you will give me your location, then I can put you in touch with the district sales manager for your area. Having the local district sales manager involved is by far the best way to get help resolving any issues.

3. Also give me the name and location of the dealer you bought from. If bought from a distant dealer, then there may be a different district sales manager to contact.

As district sales managers, we all try to be very accessable to our customers.

Regards,

Carl Hicks
JVC Professional Products
District Sales Manager for Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, and Arkansas
Carl Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 05:54 PM   #5
Regular Crew

There is the possibility that you received a refurished hd100. There were a lot from the initial line returned, and if you tracked serial numbers in your area-you would have likely found the returned cameras in many dealers rental departments. Some however found their way back onto the street.
Take advantage of the 30 day return policy and high tail the camera back to the dealer for an exchange.

You might want to see if the drum hours accumulated on the camera add up to the actual hours you have been shooting with the camera. This could indicate if the camera had a previous owner.
Albert Henson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 08:06 PM   #6
New Boot

Waiting to be returned from repair

No I never logged more than an hour myself and there were none on it when I got it.

I am waiting to get the camera back from repair. It was purchased from beach camera in new jersey partly as a christmas gift and the 30 days had come and gone. Then I went on vacation for 2 weeks and started testing it upon my return. I should have waited till January.

Of course I assumed they tested it before it was shipped, so I never thought I needed to test it. When I get it back I will run it through everything. But you can't check everything.I usually avoid buying things around christmas for this reason but oh well, I am hoping JVC will get everything right. I should be getting it back soon. I'll post my results here in the forum. I am amazed how many reads this is getting. Check back to see how it works out.
Old February 1st, 2006, 12:41 AM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

Are you interested only in lodging a complaint, or are you actually interested in getting some results to get your situation resolved? Did you read the reply from Carl Hicks above? Are you planning to follow through with his response?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2006, 01:09 PM   #8
Major Player

Carl, I emailed you, we are in a bad way here with ours. I look forward to working with you and finding a solution.
RED ONE #977

Last edited by Daniel Patton; February 1st, 2006 at 02:14 PM.
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2006, 04:49 PM   #9
New Boot

Waiiting for the camera to be returned.

Chris - As stated previously, I believe it is being resolved by their customer support presently. Yes, I read Carls reply and if you read my response you would know that I am pursuing a solution with JVC Support.

I won't bother Carl unless I have a continuing problem. I appreciate his offer for help if it is needed. Nice to see JVC reps here - adds a personal touch.
Old February 1st, 2006, 10:44 PM   #10
JVC America

Contact info

Daniel,

I'm e-mailing you off-line the contact info for the District Sales Manager that handles the dealer you bought from. Since you did not buy from a local dealer, the it is a different person than the one that covers your local area.

Regards, Carl
Carl Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2006, 05:39 AM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Marriage
I am also looking at the Pro-X battery kit, half the price of the IDX!

I haven't heard of this Pro-X battery option for the HD100. Got a link? How long does it last and can you power other stuff from it?
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2006, 06:00 AM   #12
Major Player

I am checking out the Pro-X kit next week. It is about half the price of IDX kit and goes up to 90WH. You can buy from TNP in the UK.

I can't find the Pro-X page anymore from google though...
Mike Marriage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2006, 06:37 AM   #13
Trustee

Thanks. I will check it out.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2006, 11:43 PM   #14
New Boot

The Nightmare Continues

The issue is not yet resolved. I will have a complete report if it is ever resolved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schlesinger
Just wondered how many other people received their HD100 broken/defective in some way? I am new to pro JVC and was surprised to find that the lens had quite a lot of dirt inside.

Was yours defective, and if so what did you do about it. It seems that I have seen people discuss exchanging their cameras because of SSE. I don't live in Hollywood, NY etc. so driving down to exchange it wasn't possible. I am nervous though because I was told to send it to their repair facility and was told they hadn't worked on one yet so mine is going to be a learning experience. It has 0 drum and 0 unit hours, when I sent it in.

How do you get in touch with someone in JVC Sales, any contacts? Of course I hope to be pleasently surprised when mine is returned. That is I hope it's mine. I will post my follow up here when I get it back. I was planning to do a whole web site devoted to my whole JVC experience but I will have little to talk about other than this but maybe that is usefull to so that people can see how good/bad their support is which remains to be seen.
Old February 16th, 2006, 11:54 PM   #15
Inner Circle

For what it's worth, I purchased a used HD10U last year. The camcorder works fine, but the previous owner had misplaced the disk with the capture utility software. I tried emailing JVC support twice about how to go about obtaining a copy, but got absolutely no response.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems