PC capture methods at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 4th, 2006, 12:12 AM   #1
Regular Crew

PC capture methods

We're in the process of budgeting for a HD studio shoot with the JVC proHD camera, and would like some feedback on what Windows users are using for ingestion. Sorry Mac-people, but feel free to read anyways :)

The cheap options are:
1) Adobe Premiere 2.0 with AspectHD and ingest live via firewire.
2) Canopus Edius NX with HDexpansion, ingest via firewire or component. (but I'm an Adobe fan...)

I would love to get a Decklink with a component/SDI converter, and use Prem2.0 to get an uncompressed capture, but I can't afford the fibre channel raid setup for the storage demands. Can someone clarify the minimum harddrive setup required for a 720/24p uncompressed capture?

Aja's Xena line looks interesting, but I need Premiere AND After Effects, and it seems their models are divided between the two packages. Hopefully in time they might work this out.

So let me know what your strategies are or what success you've had. Thanks
Jason Hamby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2006, 12:41 AM   #2
Trustee

Jason,

What NLE are you currently cutting on?
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2006, 02:14 AM   #3
Regular Crew

We have always used Adobe Premiere to edit, and we're trying to upgrade from a Matrox X100 setup.
Jason Hamby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2006, 03:41 AM   #4
Trustee

Maybe if you already used to Premiere you could look at Cineform's method. There is one or two really nice things about Cineform. 10 bit and they have some nice way of pulling down footage to get variable frame rates out of the component. I do not edit on Premiere for HDV but if I did I'd check out Cineform.

If you wanted to jump ship and go with another NLE, I can recommend and help with Liquid.

Good luck..
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2006, 09:12 AM   #5
Regular Crew

If you like editing with Premiere then use the Cineform Codec. The Cineform Aspect and Prospect (8bit vs 10bit) codecs are both great and will server you well. The Wafian hard disk recorder uses the Cineform codec to capture and the footage I've seen from it is great.
Tim Holtermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2006, 11:04 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I like the Wafian too, but it's over our budget.

Which card do you use to ingest the component signal with Cineform?

Does Premiere create an AspectHD/ProspectHD project? So if I input .mov's to the timeline, it has to render the whole clip before I can playback?

I also need to be prepared to capture footage from miniDV, DVCam, and DigiBeta and work with SD as well as HDV/HD. We can rent the necessary deck, but won't SDI or component yeild a better capture channel than firewire?

I'm really excited about all this new technology, so I'm just trying to stay as future proof as possible.
Jason Hamby is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems