Slo-Mo FINAL ANSWER? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 7th, 2006, 10:21 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Slo-Mo FINAL ANSWER?

Once and for all can someone say/explain if/how/why/why not there is a slow-mo 48 fps mode/60 frame per second mode IN FULL RES. I've heard that doing slow mo only will work when one shoots at DV resolution and not HDV, is this true? Is there anyway with the HD100 to acheive full res true slow-motion? Please someone settle this debate once and for all!
Bruce Meyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 10:51 AM   #2
Major Player

Bruce, stop yelling, it hurts my ears.

The answer to your question is all over this board Bruce.
No, no way to do 60p (for slow motion) to tape unless you use SD... OR you capture live out of component to a system / card, and that route will cost you additional $$$$$.

I'm sorry guys... I know, it's like answering the "why kid" who never hears the answer because he is too busy thinking about another "Why".
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 12:09 PM   #3
Wrangler

The funny part is, I've never heard any confusion on the matter on this board. Somebody asks the question, and one of the same 4 people answer it. Over and over :-)

Usually it's Tim. He has unending patience for that stuff it seems!

Last edited by Nate Weaver; February 7th, 2006 at 03:18 PM.
Nate Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 12:21 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Weaver
The funny part is, I've never heard any confusion on the matter on this board. Somebody asks the question, and one of the same 4 people answer it. Over and over :-)

Yeah, so is the lens any good and can I shoot a movie with SSE?
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 01:05 PM   #5
Regular Crew

The lens is fine for the price of the camera. What do you want? A 30K lens on a 5K camera? Also, enough of the SSE, there has been way too much made of this. I don't see any SSE under extreme conditions. Then again, I'm using a later production run and I let it warm up for a few minutes.
Tim Holtermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 01:36 PM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Giberti
Yeah, so is the lens any good and can I shoot a movie with SSE?
Heh.

Tim, Jim was making a bad joke. We'll not be starting a lens discussion here.

Pretty please ? :-)
Old February 7th, 2006, 02:50 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Weaver
Heh.

Tim, Jim was making a bad joke. We'll not be starting a lens discussion here.

Pretty please ? :-)

Well I didn't think it was that bad of a joke <g>. Tim obviously hasn't followed any of my thoughts on the lens or SSE etc. He's just got to get up to speed on the players.
Old February 7th, 2006, 02:54 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Ah, yes. It's all making sense now. I just needed to read some past threads. :)
Tim Holtermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 02:57 PM   #9
Major Player

Maybe because we are sick of people talking about SSE and how it can demage your footage. That was a good joke :)
Diogo Athouguia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 03:09 PM   #10
New Boot

So what about the lens? I also heard something about SSE?
Rich Everitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 03:10 PM   #11
New Boot

......... ;)
Rich Everitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 03:19 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogo Athouguia
Maybe because we are sick of people talking about SSE and how it can demage your footage. That was a good joke :)

For the record I've been wanting to do a decent "Jim's first impressions of the HD100" thread. Once I got through the Winter Games project I though I was free for three months to work on this pilot and new screenplaybut they keep pulling me back.
Actually I really can't complain because the last minute Olympic stuff forced the decision on the JVC and paid for the decision.
So I'm going to sit down and do a first impressions piece that comes from the perspective of a production company typically shooting primarily 16mm, XL2/Mini 35 combos.
I really want a bit more set experience to be balanced and we're doing a series of nicely lit intereior moves this week for a promo that should give me that.
But I'll give you a little teaser - I really love this camera.
I'm really interested in my new DPs impressions...he just finished shooting MTVs new High School Stories on the DVX and primarily works with his Aaton.
He was pushing me to go Varicam, but I just think that this was too good a deal and things are moving too quickly to go that route right now.
Old February 7th, 2006, 03:42 PM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Meyers
Once and for all can someone say/explain if/how/why/why not there is a slow-mo 48 fps mode/60 frame per second mode IN FULL RES. I've heard that doing slow mo only will work when one shoots at DV resolution and not HDV, is this true? Is there anyway with the HD100 to acheive full res true slow-motion? Please someone settle this debate once and for all!
The 480p60 mode is not DV(AVI) it is HDV (MPEG2) and will scale to 1280x720 very nicely. So, for me, the answer is yes (so far). The results of scaling 480p60 to 1280x720 have been very good. Try for yourself.
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 03:48 PM   #14
Major Player

????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen L. Noe
The 480p60 mode is not DV(AVI) it is HDV (MPEG2) and will scale to 1280x720 very nicely. So, for me, the answer is yes (so far). The results of scaling 480p60 to 1280x720 have been very good. Try for yourself.

Holy maroley, now I'm confused?
Greg Corke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 03:50 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen L. Noe
There goes my weekend.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems