DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   HD100 Firewire Issue (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/60307-hd100-firewire-issue.html)

Tim Holtermann February 9th, 2006 08:37 PM

HD100 Firewire Issue

Ok, with the camera less than a week old I'm having some issues with it when trying to capture to the PC. To help narrow down the solution to this problem forget about what I'm using to capture as the camera seems to connect/disconnect from Windows when ever "Play" is engaged.

In other words, if I just connect the camera to the PC with firewire (yes it is beeing seen by Windows as the correct device) and hit play on the camera I get that Connect/Disconnect sound Windows makes when you connect or disconnect an external device. The camera also displays "Mode Changing..." in the LCD screen of the camera. This seems like an issue to me. I've tried this on two different computers both running Windows XP Pro SP2. One with a Firewire 400 port and one with a Firewire 800 port.

Rewind and Fast Forward work from inside of the capture programs (Premiere 2.0) but play and capture fails. Again, this is probably due to the camera jumping on and off line when Play is engaged. (even manualy via the camera buttons).

Anyone expereience something like this? Anyone have any suggestions? At this point it makes me question my HD100 purchase because if it's a defective camera then Quality Control is just not there for JVC.

Stephen L. Noe February 9th, 2006 09:51 PM

You have more that one framerate on your tape. Mode changing causes the camera to reboot and by then you've lost your connection to the capture program.

Tim Holtermann February 10th, 2006 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen L. Noe
You have more that one framerate on your tape. Mode changing causes the camera to reboot and by then you've lost your connection to the capture program.

I hardly doubt that is the problem. I've changed tapes and recorded just bars and tone from the camera after rebooting the camera to factory defaults. There is no way that there is more than a single frame rate on that tape.

I've read that some people had to use a head cleaner on the tape before using it????

A camera with 1 hour of drum time should not be having these issues, especially on a tape where I'm 100% sure I haven't changed recording modes. Looks like a lemon to me.

Marc Colemont February 10th, 2006 12:46 PM

Like I just said in another post I also was distrurbed by it. I even lost footage on my first job with it. But it seems like it is more common not only JVC. I spook to a purchase guy in a video rental company. And he said they do a standard procedure. When it comes out of the box, first thing they do is running the cleaning tape to make sure dust or other stuff that coud be on the videohead from production is removed before start taping ...

Tim Holtermann February 10th, 2006 12:51 PM

I've just talked to a few people from JVC. They didn't say anything about having to clean the heads. They mentioned that the Firewire board in there is very sensitive and it could be defective. The camera goes offline/online as if I unplugged the cable when I hit play on the deck. Just not right.