What Deck to compliment the HD100? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 16th, 2006, 09:00 AM   #31
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Henson
I use a sony hc1 to playback and for fcp to capture footage I gather with the hd100. It works fine for both the 720p and 1080i. I've also used the HVR-M10U VTR first hand to capture 720p hdv footage gathered from the hd100 as a solution.The jvc deck is fine if you want to lay back in hdv or standard dv. I recommend that you try both a jvc and sony deck out and see for yourself. But as I said before-if you want bang for your buck adn cross compatability. sony is cornering this aspect of the hdv market. I will reiterate once again though, that sony cannot playback or layback or capture, 24p footage.
I ma verry sure that you are talking about the compatibility between Sd footage from JVC HD100 and sony HC1, and not between HD footage. It's impossible.
Constantin Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2006, 12:29 PM   #32
Inner Circle

I just returned the HVR-M10U to the dealer and exchanged it for a JVC BR-HD50. My dealer was actually happy to get the deck back as the Sony rep just called him this morning to announce that the M10 is being discontinued and no new model is being announced.

The JVC deck is more substantial unit anyway (and I don't mean the size) despite the lack of the LCD screen.

Last edited by William Hohauser; February 17th, 2006 at 05:52 PM.
William Hohauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2006, 12:34 PM   #33
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Hohauser
My dealer waas actually happy to get the deck back as the Sony rep just called him this morning to announce that the M10 is being discontinued and no new unit is being announced.
You mean "Today no model is being announced." :-) I have a feeling we'll be hearing things very soon about a new deck. Seems to have been a lot of "quiet talk" lately...

KW
Kevin Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2006, 02:21 PM   #34
Inner Circle

The timing is strange. Sony puts a rebate on the deck and then discontinues it soon after. If it was a ploy to empty the inventory it makes sense except everyone who buys the deck now is unlikely to purchase the new model. Anyway they need to put out an HDV deck with a more substantial loading mechanism. The mechanism was out of a $300 camcorder.
Old February 17th, 2006, 02:49 PM   #35
Major Player

Which deck?

There was a protype HDV deck at IBC that had a full size cassette. I think that it might have had SDI ports on it as well, though not sure on that one. I couldn't get my hands on the deck to double check the ports. It did use a full size cassette though.

Wonder if they might come out with a camera that shoots a full size cassette (like the DSR250 did in DVCAM).

Don't mean to take this discussion offtopic.

Dan Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2006, 09:19 AM   #36
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Weaver
There's only one deck for 24P capture, and that's the JVC BR50.

For output, it's more complicated. The JVC HDV deck will do DV, DVCAM or HDV. The trick is that HDV really isn't a broadcast format. Even Lightning Dubbs here in Los Angeles can't take a JVC HDV 24p tape and make a DVCPRO HD or HDCAM.

I personally have built a system where I can rent an HD deck and output that way. The other method, which is only good for certain markets is the offline @home, online elsewhere scenario. A cottage industry has sprung up in Los Angeles for people offlining FCP projects at home, then take your firewire drive in and output on somebody else's rig.

Nate... are you sure that Lighting dubs can't do the uprez to HDCAM... the only reason I'm asking is that we're doing some second unit with the camera... and the editor told me on Friday that they were taking to Lighting... so I'll have to find this out for sure...
Gary McClurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2006, 12:11 PM   #37
Wrangler

Back when I asked about it, they only had the Sony HDV deck in the edit bay setup, not the duplication chains. And I specifically asked at the time if they had the JVC deck...which they did not.

I imagine by now some things have changed with that, but I wouldn't just assume they have the JVC deck. All the people I've seen bumping HDV up to DVCPRO HD or HDCAM have been having to rent decks and do it themselves.
Old February 19th, 2006, 06:33 PM   #38
Major Player

I'll have to call them tomorrow and find out... working on a feature but I only have to get the film in the can... not doing anything with post... except trying to make the workflow better for the editor...

But the way I was thinking was that the editor was going to fire-wire out of the camera and into a deck...

But like I said I only heard that Lighting could do it...

Nate... I might send you an email...

Thanks Gary
Gary McClurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 05:08 AM   #39
Major Player

Hvr-m10u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Henson View Post
I use a sony hc1 to playback and for fcp to capture footage I gather with the hd100. It works fine for both the 720p and 1080i. I've also used the HVR-M10U VTR first hand to capture 720p hdv footage gathered from the hd100 as a solution.The jvc deck is fine if you want to lay back in hdv or standard dv. I recommend that you try both a jvc and sony deck out and see for yourself. But as I said before-if you want bang for your buck adn cross compatability. sony is cornering this aspect of the hdv market. I will reiterate once again though, that sony cannot playback or layback or capture, 24p footage.
Hello i have a M10U deck got with my FX1.
No longer have the FX1 got a hd110u, i just tried to play 720p 30,
A messg. came up change tape format. if you could explain how this work it would be great.
Save me having to buy the JVC hd50 deck
thank you
Joe
Joseph A. Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2008, 08:56 PM   #40
New Boot

FCP Playback of HD Timeline to BR50 Deck

Hi Barry,

Do you have a solution for Final Cut Studio 2 when playing back HD (720p - 30fps) out to firewire to the BR50 Deck, then display in HD monitor from the deck? I've updated the deck with software/firmware 109. I'm able to capture HD and print to video - from and through the deck but the setup in FCS2 is grayed-out in the HD 720p 30fps playback setup menu.

I'm editing on a Power Mac G5, dual 2.7 processors, 8 GB ram, (this is a non-intel chip sys).

Thanks, Sam Miller
Sam Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2008, 12:30 PM   #41
Major Player

Why not just get the Focus DR HD 100/ No tape need unless you want use it

JOE
Joseph A. Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 02:37 AM   #42
Regular Crew

What about the jvc hd1 or hd10 as a deck?

I have a hd100 that has a fried firewire port, and I've been on the lookout for a cheap solution...
Steven Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2008, 02:16 AM   #43
Trustee

Simple Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Moreno View Post
What about the jvc hd1 or hd10 as a deck?

I have a hd100 that has a fried firewire port, and I've been on the lookout for a cheap solution...
I had a simple question: how much time does it take to transfer one tape (62min) on the BR-HD50 to an NLE?
Thanks.
Old July 19th, 2008, 06:36 AM   #44
Major Player

62 minutes.

Capture is real time from tape. This is not a file transfer.

Daniel Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2008, 11:06 PM   #45
Regular Crew

If you need a deck.

I hope it's ok to post this here. Let me know if not.
I have just put up my whole JVC kit for sale in the classifieds section here. I'm a bit torn as this deck has served me well. but I've moved on and find it just isn't need in my rack. details: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=126461

Bryan Shelley
Bryan Shelley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems