What Deck to compliment the HD100? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 11th, 2006, 07:26 PM   #1
New Boot

What Deck to compliment the HD100?

I am about to take the plunge of buying the HD100 and would like to buy a deck so that I can capture from it and output back onto tape for broadcast.

Can I get suggestions as to which one I should buy?

I will be using a Mac G5 & FCP to edit and will probably buy a Kona or Blackmagic.

I look forward to your help with this - many thanks
Ray
Ray Allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2006, 07:39 PM   #2
Wrangler

There's only one deck for 24P capture, and that's the JVC BR50.

For output, it's more complicated. The JVC HDV deck will do DV, DVCAM or HDV. The trick is that HDV really isn't a broadcast format. Even Lightning Dubbs here in Los Angeles can't take a JVC HDV 24p tape and make a DVCPRO HD or HDCAM.

I personally have built a system where I can rent an HD deck and output that way. The other method, which is only good for certain markets is the offline @home, online elsewhere scenario. A cottage industry has sprung up in Los Angeles for people offlining FCP projects at home, then take your firewire drive in and output on somebody else's rig.
Old February 11th, 2006, 07:50 PM   #3
Major Player

CU-VH1 "Spooler"

Remember that little deck (CU-VH1)? I own and use it successfully for all my projects. That is an inexpensive "spooler" that can be used to complement the HD100. You cannot see in it's LCD the 24P image, but you can use it to capture and write back 24P, 30P or 60i. That way you do not put extra hours of use on your camera drums...

Luis
Luis Otero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2006, 08:00 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Allan
I am about to take the plunge of buying the HD100 and would like to buy a deck so that I can capture from it and output back onto tape for broadcast.

Can I get suggestions as to which one I should buy?

I will be using a Mac G5 & FCP to edit and will probably buy a Kona or Blackmagic.

I look forward to your help with this - many thanks
Ray
For broadcast SD.. DVcam? BetaSP? DVCPro50?
For broadcast HD.. HDcam?
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2006, 01:04 AM   #5
Regular Crew

you can use any sony hdv camera or it's deck to playback the JVC's 720p footage. The only mode they won't play back is 24p unfortunately. But if your looking for Bang for your buck, the sony deck plays back both 1080i and 720p. The jvc only plays back 720p and mini dv. THe sony will also playback and record dvcam, and hdv in ntsc and pal.

Good luck with your purchase.
Albert Henson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2006, 02:50 AM   #6
Barry Wan Kenobi

Sony decks won't allow you to digitize footage that was shot on HDV tapes. You can only view the footage on a monitor, Sony decks won't transport JVC HDV footage across the firewire.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2006, 06:43 AM   #7
New Boot

Thanks guys for your responses. Stephen, initially I would be looking to output to DVCAM for broadcast work but then upgrade to HD when the networks offer this here in the UK.

So, just to clarify, if I buy the BR50 can I:

• capture footage from the HD100 onto FCP?
• capture footage recorded from the Sony FX1?
• output the completed project on DVCAM?
• upgrade to export HD for broadcast?

One last thing…If I purchase the BR50 what would the benefit of buying the Kona LH?

many thanks
Ray
Ray Allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2006, 11:36 AM   #8
Regular Crew

you won't be able to export to dvcam via the jvc deck, and yes you can in fact import all your footage(both 720p and 1080i, with the exception of 24p) throught the sony decks. I do it everyday. Basically all plug and play.
Old February 12th, 2006, 11:59 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Green
Sony decks won't allow you to digitize footage that was shot on HDV tapes. You can only view the footage on a monitor, Sony decks won't transport JVC HDV footage across the firewire.
Really, what's the point of that? The Sony product material doesn't state that at all! If it does it's really hidden. The blurb stating 720p30 playback is as follows: "HDV 720/30p playback (no 720p recording)" this does not say analog only. Website: http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Broadcastan...p=142&id=78440

Do you know this from experience? I was wondering why the Sony deck I just got Friday would only play the JVC tapes on the analog outputs. Argh. I might just return it.
Old February 12th, 2006, 12:02 PM   #10
Wrangler

Quote:
So, just to clarify, if I buy the BR50 can I:

• capture footage from the HD100 onto FCP?
Yes, all JVC formats.
Quote:
• capture footage recorded from the Sony FX1?
No
Quote:
• output the completed project on DVCAM?
Not Sony's DVCAM, but DV, including miniDV and large format DV.
Quote:
• upgrade to export HD for broadcast?
You will be able to export HDV 720P back to the deck, but it is up to each individual broadcaster if they will accept HDV.

Quote:
One last thing…If I purchase the BR50 what would the benefit of buying the Kona LH?
Uncompressed 720P60 or 720P50 capture via YRB analog outs on deck. Unfortunately the deck does not have YRB inputs, only Y/C (S-Video) and composite.
Old February 12th, 2006, 03:37 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I use a sony hc1 to playback and for fcp to capture footage I gather with the hd100. It works fine for both the 720p and 1080i. I've also used the HVR-M10U VTR first hand to capture 720p hdv footage gathered from the hd100 as a solution.The jvc deck is fine if you want to lay back in hdv or standard dv. I recommend that you try both a jvc and sony deck out and see for yourself. But as I said before-if you want bang for your buck adn cross compatability. sony is cornering this aspect of the hdv market. I will reiterate once again though, that sony cannot playback or layback or capture, 24p footage.
Old February 12th, 2006, 03:48 PM   #12
Major Player

I keep hearing talk of a deck that is going to support both 720p and 1080i AND Canon's frame mode...basically everything. Several people have dropped hints here and I talked to a sales person recently who said something is coming soon...before NAB.

Anyone have any more info? I need a deck. I'd like to stop using the H1 as a deck!

Kevin
Kevin Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2006, 10:02 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Henson
I use a sony hc1 to playback and for fcp to capture footage I gather with the hd100. It works fine for both the 720p and 1080i. I've also used the HVR-M10U VTR first hand to capture 720p hdv footage gathered from the hd100 as a solution.The jvc deck is fine if you want to lay back in hdv or standard dv. I recommend that you try both a jvc and sony deck out and see for yourself. But as I said before-if you want bang for your buck adn cross compatability. sony is cornering this aspect of the hdv market. I will reiterate once again though, that sony cannot playback or layback or capture, 24p footage.
Wait, you capture 720p30 on the HC1 into finalcut?

Whoa, for the price of a BR-HD50U, i can get 2 Sony cmos cams that I can abuse as capture decks?

This sounds too good to be true. Will it capture 480p60 and the 576p50 too?
Edwin Huang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2006, 10:51 PM   #14
Regular Crew

you bet. it works like a charm. and I also use the cam as a secondary camera when I shoot with the z1.
Old February 13th, 2006, 05:29 PM   #15
New Boot

Okay, is there a deck I can use that can input from the HD100 that would allow me to output to DVC Pro (25 & 50)?

I am quoting this off a tech spec sheet from an itv production dept.

And what format would you suggest I shoot, capture and edit to get the best results for broadcast?

Last question - If I install the Kona LH will this allow me to capture, and 'layback' from the HD100, and in what fromats?

many thanks
Ray
Ray Allan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems