DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Hack to convert HD100E to HD101E? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/60747-hack-convert-hd100e-hd101e.html)

Mike Paterson February 15th, 2006 04:51 AM

Hack to convert HD100E to HD101E?

Does anyone know if it's possible to convert an HD100E to an HD101E with firewire in and out? I presume it's just a firmware issue. It seems crazy to pay £500 extra just for a firewire in feature.

Tom Hardwick February 15th, 2006 05:13 AM

The craziness all comes down to Customs and Excise, Mike, not the cost of the Firewire port. There were many hacks available in the past but the manufacturers were all threatened with large EU fines if they continued to leave the door so wide open.

Camcorders made in the last couple of years have been far more difficult to hack, but it's always worth an ask.

tom.

Mathieu Ghekiere February 15th, 2006 05:54 AM

I know it's a bit off topic of the original question, but did the HD-100 in America also came in 2 versions?
I suppose not, and if I'm right, why the hell not?
(my rant now is only if it DIDN't came in 2 versions in the USA)
Why, in Europe, next to paying much bigger prices, do we ALSO have to pay 500 euros more for a simple DV in/out?
Isn't it normal for such a pro camcorder to have a simple dv in/out, even $800 cams have this...?

Tom Hardwick February 15th, 2006 06:11 AM

It's an import duty thing Mathieu. Video recorders (which means camcorders used in the VCR mode as well) made outside the EU pay a hefty duty, whereas cameras themselves are exempt.

Barry Green February 15th, 2006 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mathieu Ghekiere
I know it's a bit off topic of the original question, but did the HD-100 in America also came in 2 versions?

No, in America there's just the one (HD100U).

Marc Colemont February 18th, 2006 10:17 AM

Does anybody knows if it is possible to upgrade to the 101E.
I have now the HD-100E, but I heard recently if you want to use the firestore, that you need the VCR function to be able to check footage.
Which is a bummer.

Constantin Marin February 22nd, 2006 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc Colemont
Does anybody knows if it is possible to upgrade to the 101E.
I have now the HD-100E, but I heard recently if you want to use the firestore, that you need the VCR function to be able to check footage.
Which is a bummer.

Think about the others camera models from the last years. There was no solution to make an upgrade to 101 models because now it can't be done software - you need also a hardware component and it's not recommended of course by any manufacturer.

You can put an HDD recorder like DR-HD10040GB to your 100e camera, but you will not be able to see in the viewfinder or LCD the footage from HDD; also you must make the command record form the buttons of the hdd recorder and not from the camera recording buttons. This is the main difference and also disadvantage.