Hack to convert HD100E to HD101E? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 15th, 2006, 04:51 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Hack to convert HD100E to HD101E?

Does anyone know if it's possible to convert an HD100E to an HD101E with firewire in and out? I presume it's just a firmware issue. It seems crazy to pay £500 extra just for a firewire in feature.
Mike Paterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 05:13 AM   #2
Inner Circle

The craziness all comes down to Customs and Excise, Mike, not the cost of the Firewire port. There were many hacks available in the past but the manufacturers were all threatened with large EU fines if they continued to leave the door so wide open.

Camcorders made in the last couple of years have been far more difficult to hack, but it's always worth an ask.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 05:54 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I know it's a bit off topic of the original question, but did the HD-100 in America also came in 2 versions?
I suppose not, and if I'm right, why the hell not?
(my rant now is only if it DIDN't came in 2 versions in the USA)
Why, in Europe, next to paying much bigger prices, do we ALSO have to pay 500 euros more for a simple DV in/out?
Isn't it normal for such a pro camcorder to have a simple dv in/out, even $800 cams have this...?
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 06:11 AM   #4
Inner Circle

It's an import duty thing Mathieu. Video recorders (which means camcorders used in the VCR mode as well) made outside the EU pay a hefty duty, whereas cameras themselves are exempt.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 02:12 PM   #5
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathieu Ghekiere
I know it's a bit off topic of the original question, but did the HD-100 in America also came in 2 versions?
No, in America there's just the one (HD100U).
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2006, 10:17 AM   #6
Major Player

Does anybody knows if it is possible to upgrade to the 101E.
I have now the HD-100E, but I heard recently if you want to use the firestore, that you need the VCR function to be able to check footage.
Which is a bummer.
Marc Colemont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 05:55 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Colemont
Does anybody knows if it is possible to upgrade to the 101E.
I have now the HD-100E, but I heard recently if you want to use the firestore, that you need the VCR function to be able to check footage.
Which is a bummer.
Think about the others camera models from the last years. There was no solution to make an upgrade to 101 models because now it can't be done software - you need also a hardware component and it's not recommended of course by any manufacturer.

You can put an HDD recorder like DR-HD10040GB to your 100e camera, but you will not be able to see in the viewfinder or LCD the footage from HDD; also you must make the command record form the buttons of the hdd recorder and not from the camera recording buttons. This is the main difference and also disadvantage.
Constantin Marin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems