HD100U For Weddings? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 16th, 2006, 11:56 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Goodman
As long as you pan at the SAME speed as the sublject you will be OK.
If you pan the camera slow enough it's ok and if the pan is fast enough the background blurrs and that also looks good. It's just that awkward speed you have to avoid.

I'm a big fan of the HDV25p mode and I think a good shot of the bouquet toss would be quite close in from side on and follow it through the air. It would take practice but i reckon it would slo mo quite nicely and if it doesn't work you have camera two on the wide shot to cut to. (god bless camera two!)

Andy.
Old February 16th, 2006, 12:11 PM   #17
Regular Crew

I would think shooting in SD 50p would be a perfect solution, it looks beautiful and it gives you 576 pixels tall resolution (and it looks great). If you are going to dvd, that will scale beautifully and you can use something like twixtor to conform all the footage to 24 p or 30p or 60i or whatever you want and then use it to also do your slow motion (you can slow 50p down to about 35% of the original speed and still look good...depending on your shutter speed).

I'm not personally planning on shooting any weddings, but I'm making a short film and everything but a few shots are 24p@720, with slow motion shot at the sd50p mode. The 50p scales pretty nicely and makes beautiful slow-mo, check it out.
Joe Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2006, 12:14 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Andy

Do you see any problems or advantages in using the HDV-HD30p mode here in the UK?

I think the extra 5 frames might make a small difference to the overall 'ease of use' giving a little more latitude for slight errors in panning etc.

I haven'y noticed any 'flicker' problems on the UK TV system

I hear what you say about camera two, saved me more than once!

Tony
Tony Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2006, 12:21 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Russ
I would think shooting in SD 50p would be a perfect solution, it looks beautiful and it gives you 576 pixels tall resolution (and it looks great). If you are going to dvd, that will scale beautifully and you can use something like twixtor to conform all the footage to 24 p or 30p or 60i or whatever you want and then use it to also do your slow motion (you can slow 50p down to about 35% of the original speed and still look good...depending on your shutter speed).

I'm not personally planning on shooting any weddings, but I'm making a short film and everything but a few shots are 24p@720, with slow motion shot at the sd50p mode. The 50p scales pretty nicely and makes beautiful slow-mo, check it out.
Joe

Yes, I have posted something about using SD50p for slo-mo. I think it is a good work around but if it could all be done in HDV then so much the better?
I have put HDV and SD50p together and even conforming the SD clip to 1280/720 rez it still looks like an SD clip to me.

I use ProCoder with my Edius Pro 3.61. Is there a better way of 'up rezzing' that will actually make the picture look more like an HDV clip?

Tony
Tony Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2006, 01:51 PM   #20
Major Player

Tony,

The only reason I can see to use HDV 30p over 25p in the UK right now is that FCP supports it. I'm in a transitional period at the moment changing from PC to mac...my PC packed in so I've got a G5 quad on the way. Since i've never used a mac before I reckon i'm in for some fun and games with the new system.And I have alot of tests and trial and error ahead because i've never edited HDV yet.

I'm gonna be using FCP production sweet which has 4.5 HD, motion 2 and dvd studio pro 3. I know you can edit HDV in 4.5 if you capture through HDVxDV but like you i really just want FCP to support it natively (who knows when that will happen...maybe NAB). Until then i'm shooting in DV 50i mode to go with my cam two xl1s footage which i will be selling and upgrading to the HD101 for its VTR qualities as soon as FCP supports HDV 25p.

Andy.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems