HD100U For Weddings? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 15th, 2006, 02:37 PM   #1
Inner Circle

HD100U For Weddings?

Is anyone using the HD100U for wedding videography?
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 02:44 PM   #2
Major Player

I've not used it yet but when the weddings start comeing in I fully intend to use it. Why?are you worried about how it will perform?

Andy.
Old February 15th, 2006, 02:47 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Wright
Is anyone using the HD100U for wedding videography?

Yes, since October. I just ordered my second one.

Laszlo
Laszlo Horvath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 03:05 PM   #4
Regular Crew

From my experience I would not recommend using the hd100 for wedding videography. There will likely be low-light shooting, and the SSE will become an issue. Try explaining that to an angry bride or mother, that the footage has a line down the middle and one side is two stops darker than the other. Believe me it's not professional and it's not pretty.

I have personally had to offer either tremendous discounts or full refunds because of the cameras defect of the SSE issue.
Wish I could be more positive in this report, but the wedding footage I gathered with the cam bit me in the arse twice.

Test the camera thoroughly first to ensure that the SSE is no longer an issue. If the dealer can't do this for you. Then perhaps consider another cam.
Albert Henson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 03:10 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I'm looking at doing weddings exclusively in HD (shooting and delivering in HD), and hoping to begin by this summer (aggressive goal). I'm leaning heavily towards going the FX1/Z1 route, primarily because the FX1/Z1s offer optical image stabilization systems (very nice for run and gun), and secondarily, the FX1/Z1s offer auto-focus ability (also nice for run and gun). Thirdly, the FX1/Z1s are a little more affordable.

If not for the optical image stabilization and auto-focus abilities of the FX1/Z1, I would probably be leaning more towards the HD100U, because I believe 720p is far more ideally suited for the fast majority of consumer HDTVs (LCD and Plasma monitorss/tvs just aren't well suited for displaying interlaced source), as well as having more control of the camera (as I understand things, the HD100U offers a considerably greater degree of control in image acquisition).
Old February 15th, 2006, 03:10 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I've used the camera in very low lighting on blank walls to try and find this SSE issue and it didn't show.

I think the correct reply would be - don't use your HD100 for weddings but that does not mean that the newer HD100's won't perform fine.
Tim Holtermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 03:27 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Wright
If not for the optical image stabilization and auto-focus abilities of the FX1/Z1, I would probably be leaning more towards the HD100U,).
Since the hd100 is shoulder mounted I found it to be a very stable camera, And i personaly liked the fact that there was no auto focus option. My only complaint about it is the battery life ,the stock battery is useless and the only real option is the IDX or AB options which are expensive (unless your lucky enough to be American for the free IDX kit)

Andy.
Old February 15th, 2006, 05:24 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Henson
From my experience I would not recommend using the hd100 for wedding videography. There will likely be low-light shooting, and the SSE will become an issue. Try explaining that to an angry bride or mother, that the footage has a line down the middle and one side is two stops darker than the other. Believe me it's not professional and it's not pretty.

I have personally had to offer either tremendous discounts or full refunds because of the cameras defect of the SSE issue.
Wish I could be more positive in this report, but the wedding footage I gathered with the cam bit me in the arse twice.

Test the camera thoroughly first to ensure that the SSE is no longer an issue. If the dealer can't do this for you. Then perhaps consider another cam.

Again, I use this cams for weddings since October with great results.
You just need to know what you're doing. Because the 720/30p recording, this is a very different camcorder.
BTW: I never had any SSE problems

Laszlo
Laszlo Horvath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 06:46 PM   #9
Major Player

I used it on 2 weddings and it's great. Personaly I don't like autofocus and OSD, I prefer shooting with a well balanced shoulder cam. I had a PD150 to shoot weddings and for some clients I had to use a DSR390 because of it's professional look. The problem with the DSR390 is its weight, but I prefered it to the PD150. The HD100 is much better than the others, it has the pro look, it's light and really stable. The PD150 is more light sensible but the image is not so good, besides that it is not so confortable for shooting as the HD100. This camera is fantastic for any situation, and the SSE is not a problem at all on late units.
Diogo Athouguia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2006, 12:23 AM   #10
Trustee

While some may say 30p or 24p isn't enough for a reception with dancing I say bull poodoo. While yes it may be a little jittery at least it isn't as highly compressed as 1080i. With that same type of fast motion 1080i can really start to fall apart. Shoot with care and don't whip around too much. Perhaps limiting HDV 1 to 24p and 30p is a good thing in a way. It is actually forcing people to shoot with more care than they did in the past. If we did have 60p people would still be whipping those cameras around like they were on a roller coaster and then curse on the mpeg2 compression artifacts.

One solution to not having to worry about SSE is to actually use a light and do not use the gain that much. I don't care how good a camera is in low light you still loose quality by not using a light. I have even used lights on 2/3" cameras. Yes they beat the pants off 1/3" cameras but the overall image still looks much better if you use a light.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2006, 01:13 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Perhaps it sounds a little crazy, but the thought of using a HD100 as primary for the ceremony and a Z1 as primary for the reception, then delivering the final product in 720/60p, has occurred to me. Any comments on the idea?

Has anyone tried mixing together source material from both cameras?
Old February 16th, 2006, 05:21 AM   #12
Major Player

I have shot weddings on this and I personally think the intention of this camera is not for weddings, to get the best out of this camera you should switch the lens to full auto, get yourself an AB mount with camera, it will give you longer battery life and will help you balance the camera because it is lense heavy. Turn off Motion smoothing and just practice before you use this. If your planning to shoot with this, and your client has no intention on having Hidef footage, use SD60p or Minidv mode because slow motion is not good when you only have 30frames to deal with.
Old February 16th, 2006, 05:26 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Graham
Since the hd100 is shoulder mounted I found it to be a very stable camera, And i personaly liked the fact that there was no auto focus option. My only complaint about it is the battery life ,the stock battery is useless and the only real option is the IDX or AB options which are expensive (unless your lucky enough to be American for the free IDX kit)

Andy.
Andy

Give DSM http://www.dsmpower.tv/ a try (Dave)

He is producing a battery which will power the HD100 fo three hours for £150! It will even charge on the JVC charger, but he reccommends not using it (too long) He is producing a fast charger for about £200.

So even if you bought FOUR batteries (12 hours) and TWO chargers it would still be around the same price as the AB or IDX which I believe will only power for three hours. The batttery has been passed by JVC and you will be able to buy from authorised dealers, so a 'no brainer' really?

BTW I have no connection with DSM, just think this is potentially a great product and I believe these forums are all about passing on advice and info?

You are right about the JVC batteries, USELESS!

Cheers

Tony
Tony Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2006, 05:51 AM   #14
Major Player

Cheers for that Tony, I preffer not to use large mounted batteries like the IDX and that DSM battery looks promising I'll be keeping my eye on that one.

Andy.
Old February 16th, 2006, 06:09 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Henson

Albert

Instead of giving refunds, get it fixed! I had one of the first cameras in the UK and I did have an SSE issue. I sent it back to JVC and it came back sorted.

I cannot believe this is STILL being put forward s a problem with this camera.

I do have concerns about using this camera as a wedding cam, in fact I started my own thread on the subject a couple of weeks ago, but SSE is NOT one of them. I am more concerned with the potential 'judder' issues that come with progressive filming in general and the low frame rate of the JVC in particular.

The big difference (IMO) between shooting a doco or scripted film and a live event is that with films YOU are in complete control (or should be!)

With an event such as a wedding you are there to react to what happens on the day. Yes, there ar the formal photo sessions and the ceremony and speeches should not pose a problem.

But what about after the ceremony with guests in high spirits in the garden or wherever, what about HAVING to pan more quickly than progressive allows just to get what just happened in front of you? If the B&G move too quickly, or more likely one of the bridesmaids or page boys (you know the little candid shots that can make a video) You cannot go to them and say "Sorry, luvvy, you could you just do that one more time"!

I know that people will say that this is just another learning curve which comes with 'progressive' territory and I actually agree. As long as you pan at the SAME speed as the sublject you will be OK. But I mention it as something to be considered when making your decision to use or not.

Another problem I see with low frame rate progressive is slo motion. It gets overdone in some videos I've seen but it has its place.

How would you shoot the bouquet toss, what angle to use? What about the confetti throw. I have done some testing in the garden and the ONLY way I can get smooth slo-mo for these situations is to use HDV-SD50p/60p. And then you have the resolution problem to contend with. Again something I have discussed on another thread.

What about sudden movement behind the subject?

Does anyone have any thoughts on the best settings/format for these situations?

Cheers

Tony
Tony Goodman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems