"True Colour" Scene File - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 20th, 2006, 04:48 AM   #16
Major Player

Hi Paolo,

I have a question for you, since you used HDVrack to calibrate the DSC chart. When I output the build-in SMPTE Colorbars of the HD-100 into HDVrack, the colors are not in the 'spot' on the vectorscope. They have a considerable offset.
As far as I can follow with the HDVrack is that the original software has been made for DV which is using another colorspace then the HDV ITU-709.
I asked this question to the Serious Magic guys if they use the 709 color space or not when using HDV, but their forum if offline already for several weeks. So I have no feedback back yet from them.
My question now is: When you calibrated the DSC chart on HDVrack, is it now right or not considering the build-in color bar is not showing up right.
My 'real' Philips Vectorscope is in the repairshop, so I cannot verify.
Marc Colemont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2006, 10:14 AM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Colemont
Hi Paolo,
I have a question for you, since you used HDVrack to calibrate the DSC chart. When I output the build-in SMPTE Colorbars of the HD-100 into HDVrack, the colors are not in the 'spot' on the vectorscope. They have a considerable offset.
As far as I can follow with the HDVrack is that the original software has been made for DV which is using another colorspace then the HDV ITU-709.
Marc do you have the HDV pack?

--
Paolo
Paolo Ciccone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2006, 10:26 AM   #18
New Boot

True Colour Scene File

This is my first post to the forum and I must say that I am very impressed with how you guys are prepared to share your valuable knowledge and experience with us lesser mortals.
Thanks to Paulo for your scene file. I used your scene file settings to set up my HD100 at the weekend and shot some test footage to see the results. The colour reproduction is very accurate to the props I used in the scenes which were shot in my small studio using my stills lighting rig which are flash units with controled modeling lamps. I also shot some exterior shots and bearing in mind that it was a damp, overcast day the footage was very clean and had no colour casts that I usually experience under these shooting conditions. I must say I liked the resulted image quality; I have been playing around with the Cine Gamma scene settings and found that in some conditions whites and blacks seem to suffer from strange colour casts. Like Paulo I want to see as accurate a colour rendition as I could get so what colours I see with my eyes is reproduced on tape and carryout any adjustments to look in post.
Unfortunately I don't have enough knowledge to post any of my test footage here for you to see; as soon as I get it together I will certainly share my results with you; especially as I was also testing out my new Fujinon wide angle lens which I know from various posts that the community is eager here about. From my point of view this new lens improves the picture qulaity beyond any of my expectations; the images are a lot crisper and sharper than on the stock lens. There is also a lot more control for DOF. I believe it's well worth the investment I made and has confirmed my belief in this camera as a serious bit of kit for the independant film maker, especially when you consider it's price.

Please forgive me for my descriptions as I am not a video techy; I do not work professionally in the video industry, I work in the film industry making armour and props and it has always been my ambition to get behind the camera to produce my own independant features. This was the main reason I chose the HD100 after trying out a demo unit. I was struck by it's picture quality and it's filmic look to the footage. We have already shot our first short and are halfway through editing so I am getting to know the camera's strengths and weaknesses. I must say I love the camera and have been glued to the posts on this forum so I can get the best out of this wonderful camera. I am not, in any way a video tech, but I am eager to learn. Unfortuanately, I use FCP5 in my workflow so have not been able to capture my footage nativly, as yet. I am using a Kona card and converting to another codec.

This is a great forum and now I have actually dipped my toe in the water, I am sure that I will be a regular contributor.
David Cubbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2006, 11:03 AM   #19
Major Player

Paolo, yes I have the HDV pack. You want me to do some tests?
I don't have any DSC chart though...
Marc Colemont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2006, 01:23 PM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Colemont
Paolo, yes I have the HDV pack. You want me to do some tests?
I don't have any DSC chart though...
No Marc, I was just asking to be sure that you have the HD Monitor option avalable. It's my understading that the HD pack implements the right colorspace for HD monitoring. I didn't test the camera bars with DVRack but I'll do it soon.

--
Paolo
Old February 20th, 2006, 04:23 PM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Cubbage
Thanks to Paulo for your scene file. I used your scene file settings to set up my HD100 at the weekend and shot some test footage to see the results. The colour reproduction is very accurate to the props I used in the scenes which were shot in my small studio using my stills lighting rig which are flash units with controled modeling lamps.
You're very welcome. Glad to hear that it works for you too.

--
Paolo
Old February 20th, 2006, 05:17 PM   #22
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen L. Noe
If you get a moment can you load my scene file and take a look at if for me on your chart?
Hey Steve.

I copied your file directy to my SD card, configured the camera to the same values of my test by using my configuration as a reference. I then loaded your file, set WB and recorded 7 seconds of chart and took the same snapshots I took with my previous test.
Your files are here:

7-second .m2t clip
Snapshot used for histogram
Histogram
WFM and VScope

Hope this helps.

--
Paolo
Old February 20th, 2006, 05:32 PM   #23
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo Ciccone
Hey Steve.

I copied your file directy to my SD card, configured the camera to the same values of my test by using my configuration as a reference. I then loaded your file, set WB and recorded 7 seconds of chart and took the same snapshots I took with my previous test.
Your files are here:

7-second .m2t clip
Snapshot used for histogram
Histogram
WFM and VScope

Hope this helps.

--
Paolo
Thank you for doing that. Your chart reveals what I was trying to accomplish. Pulling the reds down. I think the red's are hot in all my RGBY separations. Now with this scene file the skin tone is better (to me).

Lattitude zoomed to 88mm
Skin tone on a fair person.

Thanks for doing that...
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2006, 07:10 PM   #24
Regular Crew

24p?

Lattitude zoomed to 88mm

For those two files: was that shot in 24p mode?
Efrain Gomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2006, 08:12 PM   #25
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen L. Noe
Thanks for doing that...
You're very welcome Stephen.

--
Paolo
Old February 20th, 2006, 10:57 PM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo Ciccone

BTW, Tim, big mistake on my side about the color shift on the Cinelike and your CineWide config. I did't realize that switching to another config changes the white balance. I balanced at the beginning of the test and never changed it, assuming that the camera kept the 3200K value. My apologies, I'm gonna retake those samples after setting WB at every switch. I'll update the article asap.

Take care.

--
Paolo
http://www.paolociccone.com
Paolo:

Have you updated yet the article including Tim's recommendations/suggestions?

Thanks,

Luis
Luis Otero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2006, 11:29 PM   #27
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efrain Gomez
Lattitude zoomed to 88mm

For those two files: was that shot in 24p mode?
30p mode...
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2006, 11:30 PM   #28
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Otero
Paolo:
Have you updated yet the article including Tim's recommendations/suggestions?
Hi Luis.

Yes, I reshot all the samples after setting the WB for each file. The new version has been posted Saturday so the current snapshots, clips and histogram charts are the correct one.

One thing that I didn't mention is that I did some additional tests for the sharpening control. Im quite convinced that the disabling the sharpening blurs the images a bit while keeping the sharpening at minimum seems to be the right setting in order to get a nice sharp image that is still soft enough to not look like video.
I also checked the effect of incremental sharpening with a WFM and you can clearly see the addition of video noise.

--
Paolo
http://www.paolociccone.com
Old February 21st, 2006, 12:39 AM   #29
Major Player

Thanks!

Paolo,

Thanks a lot for this great effort from your part, specially because you have been willing to share all the information with this cybercommunity.

In terms of white balance: you use the settings and then WB, or WB and then load the settings? I remember that that was an issue brought by Tim with his efforts. If I do not recall incorrectly, I think we needed to load the setting, then do the WB. I assume is the same you have found...

In regards to the sharpening, what is the setting you particularly recommend?

Again, thanks!

Luis
Luis Otero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 03:42 AM   #30
Major Player

Paolo,

FYI, The DVRack software guys confirmed there is a color space problem in the HDV mode for the HD-100. It uses 609 currently. It will be fixed in the next patch.
Marc Colemont is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems