"True Colour" Scene File - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 28th, 2006, 09:06 PM   #46
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Otero
Paolo,

I have been playing utilizing your parameters, and using Tim's Black Stretch and Knee parameters. Let me tell you that such combination has given me by far the best out of the HD100.

Just my 2 cents...

Luis
Hey Luis,

thank you for letting me know. Glad it worked for you. Tomorrow I'm gonna try the different combinations on real life scenes.

Take care.

--
Paolo
Paolo Ciccone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 10:22 PM   #47
Trustee

Stephen, that looks so sharp! Thanks!

--
Paolo
Old March 2nd, 2006, 09:24 PM   #48
Regular Crew

What did you guys decide were the best settings for the black stretch and knee parameters?
DJ Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 09:52 PM   #49
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Lewis
What did you guys decide were the best settings for the black stretch and knee parameters?
Well, Tim has posted his preferences of knee at 80% and black stretch at 3. I have mapped the User 1 and User 2 buttons to Stretch1 and Stretch3 for easy access. I'm running some tests in extreme lighting in order to find out what works best but I haven't decided yet.
I'll post some examples with clips from the camera and corresponding settings as soon as I can.

--
Paolo
Old March 2nd, 2006, 10:00 PM   #50
Regular Crew

I dont think there is a best setting for them DJ. It all depends on the situation I think. If you are shooting a scene with a big difference between the light and darks, then you would want to use Tim's wide range settings to get the most detail out of the darkest darks and the lightest lights, but I think you will have minor detail loss in your mids. If you have very evenly lit scene and you use the wide range settings you will be losing detail on either the white or black end because there is no bright whites and dark blacks. So you would be squeezing everything into the mid range and then stretching them back out again in post. Does that sound right? Thats my understanding, but I'm a beginner. This is my first camera.
Ian E. Pearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 10:06 PM   #51
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo Ciccone
Well, Tim has posted his preferences of knee at 80% and black stretch at 3. I have mapped the User 1 and User 2 buttons to Stretch1 and Stretch3 for easy access. I'm running some tests in extreme lighting in order to find out what works best but I haven't decided yet.
I'll post some examples with clips from the camera and corresponding settings as soon as I can.

--
Paolo
===============================================
Paolo,

I am looking forward to get from you the reporting on your testing (your parameters and Tim's Knee and BS (I mean BS = Black Stretch) settings.

Cheers,

Luis
Luis Otero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 10:43 PM   #52
Trustee

Paolo,

If you get a chance, can you load my DARK INT scene file and take a look at it with your DSC chart. It's working very well in dark scenarios.

Refer to this post

Thanks, Stephen
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 04:16 AM   #53
Inner Circle

Paolo

I'm curious to know if you've had a chance to check your set up numbers with a number of different cameras. You do get variations in these settings between individual cameras, so I was wondering if you'd managed to or were thinking of trying the same DSC chart set up with a couple of other cameras.

I realize the DSC chart is expensive, so not everyone is going to be in position to line up their own camera using one, but it could be worth while knowing the variations that do exist and come up with a good mean setting.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 09:43 AM   #54
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale
Paolo

I'm curious to know if you've had a chance to check your set up numbers with a number of different cameras. You do get variations in these settings between individual cameras, so I was wondering if you'd managed to or were thinking of trying the same DSC chart set up with a couple of other cameras.

I realize the DSC chart is expensive, so not everyone is going to be in position to line up their own camera using one, but it could be worth while knowing the variations that do exist and come up with a good mean setting.
Brian.
I don't have access to other HD100, the one I tested is my own. I do realize that there are variations and tollerances and some cameras might react differently to my settings. Of course this is true about any scene file that we install.
I live in Santa Cruz and I'm defintely available if you are in the area and want to stop by with your HD100 to test it with the chart. Just shoot me an email and we'll arrange for the test.

I believe that an accurate chart is vital for any professional production and, with my article, I wanted to promote the use of it. I see many times that people print charts downloading files from the Net and using their color/laser printer. The truth is that all consumer printers can introduce color bias and shifts even when you pay attention. The DSC charts are expensive. It took me several months before I could force myself to pay the ~$300 for it but I think it's well worth it.

Just my $0.02

--
Paolo
Old March 3rd, 2006, 09:44 AM   #55
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen L. Noe
Paolo,

If you get a chance, can you load my DARK INT scene file and take a look at it with your DSC chart. It's working very well in dark scenarios.
Hi Stephen. I will try it asap.

--
Paolo
Old March 3rd, 2006, 11:23 AM   #56
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo Ciccone
I believe that an accurate chart is vital for any professional production and, with my article, I wanted to promote the use of it. I see many times that people print charts downloading files from the Net and using their color/laser printer. The truth is that all consumer printers can introduce color bias and shifts even when you pay attention. The DSC charts are expensive. It took me several months before I could force myself to pay the ~$300 for it but I think it's well worth it.

Just my $0.02

--
Paolo

Thanks, I agree about the DSC or other high quality chart being needed to correctly line up the camera. I've used the DSC with the F900 and the Varicam and it's great.

At the moment I'm just looking at the HD 100 as a possible camera for a number of low budget feature films, so I'm extremely interested in all the issues that have been coming up regarding the camera.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems