JVC to HDCAM at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 17th, 2006, 06:40 PM   #1
Major Player

JVC to HDCAM

Has anyone taken the footage out over firewire into a HDCAM deck...

Shooting a feature and we're using CineAlta's except for some shots inside a fighter jet...

Thanks
Gary McClurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2006, 09:49 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McClurg
Has anyone taken the footage out over firewire into a HDCAM deck...

Shooting a feature and we're using CineAlta's except for some shots inside a fighter jet...

Thanks
Has anyone tryed to record in a sony deck the 1080i signal from JVC HD100 output (downcorverted signal)? It's working? how it looks?

Thanks
Constantin Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2006, 11:01 AM   #3
Regular Crew

That's a good idea. What happens if you try to record the composite out signal
from the back of the camera? Has anyone tried this?

Ed
ed@highlydef.com
Ed Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 02:29 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hill
That's a good idea. What happens if you try to record the composite out signal
from the back of the camera? Has anyone tried this?

Ed
I think that video composite output can be use when you want to shoot in HDV format and you want to see the footage on a video assist monitor.

Normally you must use as a video assist monitor one that is HDTV compatible, but if you don't have one of these expensive monitors, you can use an simple SD.
Constantin Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 03:09 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Recording the composite out signal from an HD100U would assuredly result in dramatically inferior quality, in comparison to an HDV recording from the HD100U using tape. Just the simple loss of spatial resolution of that magnitude would overwhelm any possible benefit from increased temporal resolution.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 03:23 AM   #6
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hill
That's a good idea. What happens if you try to record the composite out signal from the back of the camera?
Since the composite signal is ONLY SD -- I'm not sure why you mention this connection when the question was about recording to HDCAM.

To record to HDCAM the VTR would need analog component inputs -- which they don't, or an i.LINK port which they don't. They do have an SDI-HD input port so you need to convert analog component to SDI-HD.

Miranda has a i.Link to SDI-HD converter. I've not used one of these. That should offer maximum quality IF it upconverts to 1080i.
Old February 21st, 2006, 09:25 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I believe Ed meant to say component, not composite.

Kona and other companies makes a portable HD analog component -> HD SDI adapter, you could use that in conjunction with a portable HDCAM deck (HDW-250). There have been posts here before of people doing that with very good results. You wouldn't want to use the firewire output because I think it has already gone through the HDV compression, where the component output is 4:2:2 "uncompressed" 720/60p component video.

If you are talking about outputting your finished product to HDCAM (but editing in HDV or Cineform), then you have several options. For example, Vegas 6 has built in HD-SDI support, and in conjunction with the $699 DeckLink HD card from BlackMagic you can output your finished project to any deck with an HD-SDI input (HDCAM, DVCPROHD, etc).

Ben Buie
HighlyDef Productions
Ben Buie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 12:50 AM   #8
Major Player

More information....

The editor is using an Avid an older one... we're shooting with the Sony 900... but we did some footage with the JVC for some shots inside a fighter plane...

I need to get those tapes to HDCAM... then the editor will down convert them to Digibeta to bring into the AVID...

We got a qoute of $400 per tape to do this... at this price we should have just shot with the 900...

I'm waiting to hear from a guy tonight if we can fire wire into a new Avid and then out put to HDCAM...

Any ideas are welcome... it seems that knowone has the deck yet... if we had the deck it could be done...

Thanks Gary
Old February 23rd, 2006, 01:19 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Gary - What kind of timeframe do you need to get this done in?
Old February 23rd, 2006, 01:52 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Gary - If I'm understanding what you are trying to do, from what you wrote, it sounds like you need to convert HDV format files to DigiBeta format files (in the end result). The format is the important thing, not necissarily the media, like on a tape or on a disk for example, or the transmisson medium, like over firewire or USB for example. I just tried to write you an email, but can't, the way you have your profile preferences set. If you are under a tight deadline, you could email me.
Old March 14th, 2006, 02:09 PM   #11
Major Player

Been busy to check back...

Talking with Laser Pacific if I bring in a camera or deck they can run it through a Teredyne box (wrong name) and then it does the uprez and pull down to 23psf... like the CineAlta...

Just trying to get Laser to give me an appointment is a pain... Fotokem has the deck coming today... they said they should be up and running by Friday...

CCI in Burbank says they can do it but still waiting to see if they have the deck yet...

A JVC rep says he can get me the deck on Friday... but trying to get everything done before then...

Robert... I can still email you if you like... but the editor would like everything to be on HDCAM... so the digi downconverts was so that he can put them into the Avid to do an offline... then we'll do an online from the HDCAM masters...

Also have to uprez some DVX... but this can be done at the same time I do the JVC...

Thanks everyone...
Old March 14th, 2006, 05:00 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Sorry. Meant to say component.

Ed
ed@highlydef.com
Ed Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2006, 08:52 PM   #13
Hollywood Studio Rentals

We have done this several times...

Several were witness to this being done when they attended HDV camp for the HD100 at our shop. Nate Weaver was there.

If you need this service we are THE authority on HDV. That is why house like Laser, ADS, Lightning, etc. call us.

Sean Dinwoodie
Engineer & DP
http://www.LAProHD.org
Sean Dinwoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2006, 10:20 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dinwoodie
Several were witness to this being done when they attended HDV camp for the HD100 at our shop. Nate Wearver was there.

If you need this service we are THE authority on HDV. That is why house like Laser, ADS, Lightning, etc. call us.
I'll give you a call tomorrow...

Thanks Gary
Old March 23rd, 2006, 06:05 PM   #15
Major Player

Found out how to do this... you can go through FCP... etc... but... what we finally did was go from the JVC Deck into a Tear-a-nex (bad spelling) box and it does the pull down and up rez's the footage to 1080p 23.?? pfs to match the Cine Alta all in real time...

Actually its being done now so I'll let everyone know the results...
Gary McClurg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems