Philips LCD? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 17th, 2006, 08:21 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Philips LCD?

Hi Gang,

I posted this in the HDV Editing and I'm not getting any "love."

I don't want to cross post, but I'm not sure where to put this.

I have a small Philips LCD HDTV monitor, and cannot get it to display my component out from my JVC GY-100. It looks like a scrambled mess.

I can see the image if I only input the Y, but of course it is in Black and White.

When I add the other two cables, it breaks up.

I am shooting 24P, and the images display perfectly on my 42" plasma.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tom

www.tomchaney.com
Tom Chaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2006, 08:31 PM   #2
Wrangler

Hi Tom. It's against our policy to allow cross-posting, so your other thread has been removed. This sounds like something specific to your LCD, which is probably why nobody has responded. Have you tested this screen with any other sources, such as component video from a DVD player?
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2006, 11:40 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Chaney
I have a small Philips LCD HDTV monitor, and cannot get it to display my component out from my JVC GY-100.
What is the model number of the Philips monitor?
Earl Thurston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2006, 06:20 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Model Number 17PF8946/37

Hi Guys,

The model number is 17PF8946/37.

Yes, I have tried other sources into the component and it works.

Any ideas? The monitor has a VGA input, would it work if I picked up a component to VGA cable?

Thanks,

Tom

P.S. Boyd, I'm sorry about the cross post, being new here, I'm not always sure where to post.

Last edited by Tom Chaney; February 18th, 2006 at 07:34 AM.
Old February 18th, 2006, 06:24 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
The model number is 17PF8946/37.
I looked through the manual to see if I could find any obscure settings but no such luck.

Quote:
The monitor has a VGA input, would it work if I picked up a component to VGA cable?
Someone on the 'Net commented that the VGA input is shared with the component input. Do you have a PC hooked up to VGA at the same time as the HD100? If so, try disconnecting the PC first.

Normally, the VGA to component cable you mentioned only works on video projectors that auto-switch between VGA and YPbPr on the same 15-pin connector. There is a slight chance this monitor has the same auto-switching circuitry, in which case it may work, but I wouldn't invest a large sum of money trying it. (i.e. Make sure you can return the cable if it doesn't help.)

Finally, one other thing I would try is -- make sure you hook up the monitor and HD100 while both are powered off. If you hook up the HD100 while they are on, the HD100's own auto-switching circuitry on the analog outputs may be causing the problem. (Those outputs switch automatically between composite and component based on which channels are connected.)
Earl Thurston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2006, 05:32 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Earl,

Thanks for trying to help me. I tried everything and still cannot get it to work.

After a little more research -

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/d...32_68.21.35.58

it appears that the only HD input is the VGA cable. I found a cheap cable on line and will try it. I will let you know how it works.

Thanks,

Tom

www.tomchaney.com
Old February 20th, 2006, 11:21 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
After a little more research...it appears that the only HD input is the VGA cable. I found a cheap cable on line and will try it. I will let you know how it works.
Wow...weird that they would do it this way, considering they have dedicated component connectors on the panel. But it sounds like they've used the same switching circutry as an LCD projector, so this should work then. Too bad they didn't mention this in the manual -- I wonder how many people returned these monitors because of this oversight.
Earl Thurston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems