No 480 24p? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 17th, 2006, 10:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

No 480 24p?

I was reading the recording formats of the camera as I am about to purchase one, and according to the specs it does 480i 60 (23.98), but no 480 progressive like the the DVX ? http://pro.jvc.com/pro/attributes/HD...-hd100_faq.pdf
I hope that's not true as I still need to shoot in SD and don' want to lose the ability to record sd progressive.
Paul Pelalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2006, 10:29 PM   #2
Major Player

It is capable of recording in DV24P and DV24PA (different type of pulldown, same options as the DVX100). Perhaps Tim or Steve could explain exactly which mode and frame rates it's using in which setting, pretty please?
Old February 17th, 2006, 10:47 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Pelalas
I was reading the recording formats of the camera as I am about to purchase one, and according to the specs it does 480i 60 (23.98), but no 480 progressive like the the DVX ? http://pro.jvc.com/pro/attributes/HD...-hd100_faq.pdf
I hope that's not true as I still need to shoot in SD and don' want to lose the ability to record sd progressive.
unless i'm mistaking, and i could be, the dvx shoots 24p and 24pa over an interlaced signal. so if you notice that when you shoot 480/60 it is actually 480/60i, an interlaced signal. so somehow the 24p modes are shot as progressive over an interlaced signal. well low and behold the jvc shoots the same way. however, the jvc shoots 480/60p intertwined with hdv. don't ask me how they do this but they do. so what this means to me is that the jvc shoots the same as the dvx but with 16:9 chips and better glass. if i'm wrong somebody please correct me.
Maurice Jolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2006, 07:13 AM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice Jolly
unless i'm mistaking, and i could be, the dvx shoots 24p and 24pa over an interlaced signal. so if you notice that when you shoot 480/60 it is actually 480/60i, an interlaced signal. so somehow the 24p modes are shot as progressive over an interlaced signal. well low and behold the jvc shoots the same way. however, the jvc shoots 480/60p intertwined with hdv. don't ask me how they do this but they do. so what this means to me is that the jvc shoots the same as the dvx but with 16:9 chips and better glass. if i'm wrong somebody please correct me.
That pretty much sums it up. For all intents and purposes, the HD100 functions exactly like the DVX100 when in DV mode. Actually, it would be more accurate to compare it to the XL2, since it shoots true 16x9 instead of stretch.
Old February 18th, 2006, 12:04 PM   #5
Regular Crew

It's confusing because though it can can be seen as progressive being overlayed on interlace, it still is a progressive picture, not interlaced. I thought when progressive was recorded to tape, it applies a pulldown, and those pull down frames are also progressive frames, which can be removed to extract the original 24, so it's not interlaced.
On the HD 100, when you shoot 4x3 480i , is there wasted resolution because you are using less of the chip for a 4x3 crop . I mean compared to say a DVX or other sd cam, which would give you the best 4x3 and why?
Paul Pelalas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems