Snow Shooting/Polarize Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 18th, 2006, 05:05 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Snow Shooting/Polarize Question

Forgive me sires, for any previous provocation, I just was concerned to know if any quality work was being done, that's all. I hope someone could find it in their hearts to answer another question from a lowly and rather uneducated creton who rarely thinks before he types... here go:

I want to shoot a short in the snow, on a particularly vertiginous mountain peak covered in bright white neige. My question is when shooting in the snow, is a polarized lense necessary? Must one buy a polarized lense to shoot in snow? Does anyone have any experience shooting snow with the HD100? What is your take on it, is a polarized lense a must? Is there anyway to do without it? And if a polarizing lense is necessary, where can one purchase such an accesory for the HD100, how much does it cost, where is it available? Will there be any additional accesories needed for this endeavour? I humbly apologize to any whom I may have offended with my incisive and oft-provactive questionings.
Bruce Meyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2006, 05:43 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I shoot a lot of skiing and nature when it is snow.
Never used your camera, I use the Canon XM2.

I don't use polarize filters, and I believe I get a good result anyway.
But in some cases those filters will help. Snow give you a lot of reflections. Especially if you shoot against the sun. But at the same time, that is often when you get more details.
Shooting with the sun behind you will often give you a "flat" snow without any details.

So to answer your question:
You don't need a polarizer filter, but it might be useful.

A filter can be bought from B&H and other stores.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2006, 06:25 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I'm curious to know what specific polarized lens is supposed to be used with the HD100, what milimeter etc.?
Bruce Meyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2006, 06:48 PM   #4
Trustee

The camera manual should tell you the thread size you need to fit the filter to the lens. It's also typicallu marked on the front of the lense. In general a matte box is a better choice. Apart from holding universal filters they stop extraneous light hitting the lens, they do cost, especially the good ones however they'll outlast many cameras.

I'd also think about filters such as Black Mist from Schneider, again these filters usually only fit matte boxes and they COST.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2006, 10:47 PM   #5
New Boot

Tiffen HD Filter Package

Hi Bruce,

Tiffen can be considered a leading lens filter company for you to chose from. In fact, they offer an HD100 specific lens package that includes 6 filters.

The Polorizer in the package is an 82mm Circular Polarizer to help improve contrast.

Do a Google search for "Tiffen HD Filter Package HD100" and you should find it.

Poke around a bit more and you may be able to purchase the filter separately.

Second part to your question, shooting in snow, GO with the Polorizer. It helps move the color to a pretty blue-ish tint, and offers more snow detail through contrast. Otherwise you are forced to shoot with the ND filter.

(FYI - BHPhotoVideo.com B&H Part # JVHDFILTERPK)
Corey Boutilier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2006, 08:04 AM   #6
Regular Crew

JVC Filter Size

Hi Bruce

The Hd100 is an 82mm diameter

Tony
Tony Goodman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems