DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   New HD100 and small problem (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/61042-new-hd100-small-problem.html)

Tim Gray February 19th, 2006 09:13 AM

New HD100 and small problem

First of all, let me say this is a fantastic camera. Wow. The focus assist really lets you get reasonable focus from the EVF without an external screen. We agonized over camera choices for a while and are extremely happy with the choice we made.

Question - after about 10 mins of recording and 10 mins of capturing on the new camera, we got a "head cleaning" warning on the screen. It doesn't seem right to me that a new camera with 0 head and fan hours should pop up with a head cleaning warning after 20 mins of use of tape. We used a JVC pro dv tape (not the HD tapes which we have on order). You guys have any advice as to who we should contact about this? Thanks!

Chris Hurd February 19th, 2006 09:22 AM

I have always advised running a head cleaning cassette first thing in any new camera, before you put in that first DV tape. So in my experience, your situation is not at all uncommon. Try the head cleaner.

Tim Dashwood February 19th, 2006 09:27 AM

Tim,

I sent you an email with a direct number to someone at JVC who can advise you on this. This is the first I've heard of this on the HD100, but it sounds eerily similar to the firmware bug the DV500 had, causing the unit to report head clog errors when there weren't any. Of course, maybe you do have a clog, so try a head cleaning tape first. Also, check if you are actually able to record and playback.
Then call your dealer, let him know about the problem and see if you can swap units (since there are 0 hours on yours.) If that doesn't work, call the tech support person I emailed you about.

Stephen L. Noe February 19th, 2006 09:32 AM

Another thing it might be is if you had the camera cold and then put it in a warm place and immediately turned it on and started using the camera. I have seen this a couple months ago. Chris' advise is good. I used a head cleaner and never had the problem again. Also Tim's input is valid, but I'd give the head cleaner a try and run a couple of tapes through.

good luck..

Tim Gray February 19th, 2006 10:12 AM

Sounds good. We will try the head cleaner - sounds like it should do the trick.

John Vincent February 19th, 2006 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Gray
Sounds good. We will try the head cleaner - sounds like it should do the trick.

Let us know how it all works out...

John

Tom Chaney February 20th, 2006 05:17 AM

What head cleaner do you use?

I have not had any warnings on my camera, but I do occasionally see small glitches in the middle of a shot.

I would like to run a head cleaner through mine. Which type does everyone use?

I am always in and out of the cold.

Tom