Fujinon Lens Connection To Camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 21st, 2006, 11:49 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Fujinon Lens Connection To Camera

Does anyone know of a device I can add that would
connect inbetween the Fujinon Len connector and the
input in the camera. Looking for a device that would
allow starting and stopping recording of the camera
from about 20 feet away...?
Rob Stiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 12:09 AM   #2
Wrangler

There is a remote port on the bottom of the lens handle. This is where you would plug in a remote start/stop and/or zoom.
Old February 22nd, 2006, 12:18 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
There is a remote port on the bottom of the lens handle.
I'd imagine the pinout/circuitry would be fairly standard, so is there a resource for these details anywhere?

The team I work with used to all work in electronics manufacturing, so there may be interest in producing some add-ons if they're marketable.
Earl Thurston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 01:56 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

This is all pretty much standardized already, see our sponsor VariZoom:

http://www.varizoom.com/controlsindex.html#fujinon

All of the Fuji lens controllers listed on that page will have a rec start / rec pause button. VariZoom also sells a variety of extension cables as well, in ten, twenty and fifty foot lengths:

http://www.varizoom.com/accessoriesindex.html#cables

Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 02:52 PM   #5
Major Player

The JVC Fujinon controller is HZ-ZS13U - if you Google it, you'll find it for some $600-700.
Old February 22nd, 2006, 04:10 PM   #6
Regular Crew

HZ-ZS13U Looks Great,,,but one question...

So, The Lens that comes with the HD-100U Camera has some flexable options. JVC never made a big deal about that in advertising its features.

My Question: Can I get a splitter made and have one device control three cameras?
Rob Stiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 06:34 PM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Thurston
I'd imagine the pinout/circuitry would be fairly standard, so is there a resource for these details anywhere?

The team I work with used to all work in electronics manufacturing, so there may be interest in producing some add-ons if they're marketable.
Everyone already has the resource: the green Fujinon Lens manual that came with the camera. The last few pages have electronic schematics for all of the electronics in the lens. Fig 2 says that Pins "E" and "F" control VTR ON/OFF.

You could buy a long 8-pin Fujinon extension cable and then create a simple momentary push-button on one end for VTR start/stop. It would be simple.
Old February 22nd, 2006, 06:45 PM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Stiff
So, The Lens that comes with the HD-100U Camera has some flexable options. JVC never made a big deal about that in advertising its features.
The various accessories are always listed in the brochures, including the remote zoom controller. Then again, these are simply options I would expect from an ENG style lens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Stiff
My Question: Can I get a splitter made and have one device control three cameras?
Since there is a common pin that would carry a little current and a second pin to complete the circuit, I would create three cables for the three cameras that feed into a triple-pole triple throw (3P3T) momentary push switch mounted in a box. Such a thing might not exist, so you could try 3 SPST momentary push switches physically connected with a bar.)
Old February 22nd, 2006, 11:00 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Everyone already has the resource: the green Fujinon Lens manual that came with the camera.
Heh heh... Thanks, Tim. I realized what a goober I was on my way home tonight. I had seen the schematic before and never put 2 and 2 together until that point. (I remember at the time thinking, "What do I need this for? I'm not going to repair it myself," not realizing the potential for remote connection was right there under my nose.)

Thanks again -- looks really simple.
Earl Thurston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 03:40 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
(3P3T) momentary push switch mounted in a box. Such a thing might not exist, so you could try 3 SPST momentary push switches physically connected with a bar.)
Hi Tim,
From my experience from other projects, particular with these switches you get a lot of make-brake contacts during closing or opening, which would trigger or stop the recordings randomly between the camera's.

Also connecting the common ground pins together through the remote connection you are suggesting looks right indeed.
But adding video monitors to the component output will introduce ground loops between the grounding of the video/audio connections and the ground pin of the remote resulting in hum in the audio and scrolling bars on the video output in many cases.
Worsed case with a bad monitor or connecting/disconnecting video cables, it can also damage the camera as it will surge the current through the two ground connections of the camera.
At the moment (in my spare time) I'm making a device to avoid these issues and to trigger multiple camera's with a buffered and isolated trigger signal using inexpensive ethernetcables.
Marc Colemont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 05:25 AM   #11
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Colemont
Hi Tim,
From my experience from other projects, particular with these switches you get a lot of make-brake contacts during closing or opening, which would trigger or stop the recordings randomly between the camera's.
Unless the circuit includes a debouncer you may be correct.

Here is a circuit:

http://www.mitedu.freeserve.co.uk/Ci...g/debounce.htm
Old February 24th, 2006, 09:41 AM   #12
Wrangler

I just tested my trigger theory with a couple of leads plugged into the remote port and it works beautifully. I even tried make intermittent partial connections and the lens/camera seem to be smart enough to only require a simple momentary connection. The lens circuitry must have a debouncer built in.
I had my dealer looking into the Fuji 8-pin connector part and JVC Canada has a few in stock, but they are $51 a piece. I'm going to order a few and build a 3 camera remote. I need one myself (for live concert shoots,) but I will build one for Rob too if he wants.

I'm thinking of creating a simple Fuji 8-pin to ethernet adapter so that readily available lengths of ethernet cable can be used to connect the cameras to the control box. (as Marc suggested earlier.)
I've also decided to use three separate SPST push switches so that each camera can be controlled individually (if needed) and then create a simple hinged "button" that will depress all three switches simultaneously.

There are also pins for the RET button, so I may add an additional three buttons for RET functionality.

I'll take some photos when I get the thing built.
Old February 24th, 2006, 02:25 PM   #13
Major Player

Hi Tim,

Make sure if you use the Ethernet cable to use one of the twisted pairs.
Let me know how far you can go reliable with the cable with no active components.

Marc Colemont
Marc Colemont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2006, 10:18 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Someone please make a 3 camera VTR controler and sell me one

Someone please make a 3 camera VTR controler and sell me one.
Make it, test it, start selling it. It seems pretty easy to get
on JVC's approved 3rd party company links for this camera.
Rob Stiff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems