Nasty footage - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 28th, 2006, 06:15 PM   #16
Major Player

I think professionals disseminating factual information is always helpful.
Perhaps this reply that I'm copying from another post will clarify things. Your not the only one that got the camera in advance and did rigorous testing in studio and on location. We even did film to HD comparisons in several situations.
We're not doing local cable, we're doing national work for the most part.

<<Will do Jiri.
The people at JVC have been very helpful so far and I'm expecting a quick resolution to this based on our conversations today.
As I've said before, we did some very rigorous testing on our own soundstage before we ever used it.
In fact, I set it up on set after shooting a commercial on film and had the talent stay for a second quick version with the HD100 for comparisons.
Then we shot for two days of various tests before heading out for the first serious broadcast work.
As I said...even at night under natural lighting in the Olympic village we got no SSE.
What concerned me was that we did get it a week later in full daylight and it was dramatic over 5 or 6 scenes.
So that's why I'm just dealing with it...because it just occured for the first time.
I think that's worth other people being aware of.
It's alot better than blowing an irreplaceable shoot and finding out when you get back to the studio and the talent has all flown back to NYC.>>
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 06:16 PM   #17
Major Player

I am the one who can see the SSE on the camera's LCD. Interestingly, it's almost invisible on an SD monitor in my suite. I have to really strain my eyes to see it there. I don't currently have an HD production monitor and, therefore, I am concerned how much it's going to show on HD. Perhaps it's much less visible than I think. Once you have seen it, it's easy to see it again - but people who have never seen it don't usually notice anything.

And yes, I bought the camera from a reputable dealer, so it could be returned.
Old February 28th, 2006, 06:18 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Giberti
I think professionals disseminating factual information is always helpful.

I think that's worth other people being aware of.
It's alot better than blowing an irreplaceable shoot and finding out when you get back to the studio and the talent has all flown back to NYC.>>
I totally agree. I think we all hope that the issues you are experiencing get resolved quickly.
Tim Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 08:16 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Sorry Jim, I was replying to Jiri's post about SSE being visible in the LCD, I wasn't replying to your post at all. I should have quoted Jiri's post so it would be more clear.

Sorry for the confusion. Wasn't trying to be preachy, just trying to be helpful because it would seem like a major problem that needs servicing or replacement if the SSE can be seen even in the LCD, I was thinking it was maybe something else and not SSE.

Jim, that's interesting that you got no SSE in a low light situation but then got SSE in a normal lighting situation later, that is useful info.

Ben
Ben Buie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 08:48 PM   #20
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Buie
No offense, but I found it almost impossible to believe that you are seeing SSE on the LCD.
Why? It can show up on the LCD. I had a shot overlooking Hollywood, up by the Hollywood sign, and it was broad daylight and the SSE was clearly visible in the camera's LCD and viewfinder. 0db.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 11:34 PM   #21
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thomas
If anyone is seeing SSE at 0dB, they need to SEND their camera into JVC (as you mentioned).
Quoted because it's well worth repeating. This statement is the best thing to come out of this thread.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 03:46 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Buie
Sorry Jim, I was replying to Jiri's post about SSE being visible in the LCD, I wasn't replying to your post at all. I should have quoted Jiri's post so it would be more clear.

Sorry for the confusion. Wasn't trying to be preachy, just trying to be helpful because it would seem like a major problem that needs servicing or replacement if the SSE can be seen even in the LCD, I was thinking it was maybe something else and not SSE.

Jim, that's interesting that you got no SSE in a low light situation but then got SSE in a normal lighting situation later, that is useful info.

Ben

No problem Ben, because I've been very strong in endorsing the HD100 and making a point that It looked like the SSE issue was a non issue now, I felt it was that much more important to mention that it had occured under very normal circumstances.

I've been so pleased with the over all quality of the lens and image...things that seemed to get a bum rap for quite a while that I asked Barry if perhaps he had a bad, early version of the camera.
He responded that he was sure that he had and that it appeared that those issues had largely been QC issues at the time (I'm paraphrasing).

Anyway, I've had nothing but great support from JVC...I mean like no other tech company (and we've got audio, film/video and design studios so that's a lot of tech).
My initial contact with my regional people got me right to Ken Freed, (both of these connections actualy happening over the weekend via email).
By today I had a great talk with Dwayne Kersey from Perfect Experience that said that all that was important was that we were satisfied and that we were going to have what we needd for an important shoot this week.

Because there has been some discussion about this over all, I and because I said I'd share what I learned regarding this, I'm going to start a quick thread on it. I'm pretty comfortable that I've got the whole skinny, these people are very forthright and very responsible.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 03:58 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Quoted because it's well worth repeating. This statement is the best thing to come out of this thread.

Not to be contrary, but this is not necessarily as simple as that.
I believe, and JVC does as well that any HD100 CAN exhibit SSE at 0db.
"Can" being the operative word.
That's why I made the analogy that I did regarding the Mini35 and solid backgrounds and light skies.
I think it's more important that you know why, and whether it's repeatable and/or correctable.
JVC expects that if it happens it will be in "extreme" circumstances (not necessarily at 18db and low light)
Our big concern was seeing it against blue sky and snowy mountains, when we've got a big shoot coming up with lot's of open sky and snowy mountains

It may have been a fluke, it may have been not "warmed up" enough.
Obviously as a producer I don't want to see it at all, hence the dialogue but there was no SSE "out of the box" and no SSE in hours of other shooting including 6 hours in the studio today, and an all night shoot last night.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems