DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   7285 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/61894-7285.html)

Robert Jackson March 1st, 2006 11:41 PM

I've been trying out some lighting and generally just getting used to the camera tonight and I can't help thinking that this is a nice replacement for 16mm. It's got kind of an Ektachrome feel to it in a way with a sort of exaggerated color and limited latitude. I need to get comfortable with the setup options, but it seems like a very nice solution. It's just the right size, too. I can use a lighter weight tripod than I normally carry, but it's not teensy and it has all the necessary switches and dials so it works like a camera and not a cell phone.

I'm sorry. Just rambling a little.

Charles Papert March 2nd, 2006 12:57 AM

Mmm, I love that 85 stock. I shot a series of bumpers for HBO Latino about 4 years ago that still runs between nearly every program. With a punchy telecine, those colors were unbeatable.

Nate Weaver March 2nd, 2006 01:16 AM

Ahem. No beating of the colorists, please.

Just to nitpick, I sure hope the HD100 when tuned can pull more latitude than reversal stock? I thought the numbers on most reversal stock put it at about 3 stops top to bottom...

Robert Jackson March 2nd, 2006 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Papert
Mmm, I love that 85 stock. I shot a series of bumpers for HBO Latino about 4 years ago that still runs between nearly every program. With a punchy telecine, those colors were unbeatable.

Well, and of course this isn't mean to offend HD100 users in any way, but small chip HD isn't really quite up to replacing a magazine full of 7285, IMO. But within its limitations it seems to offer a pretty reasonable alternative at a fraction of the production outlay.

You know, on this same subject, I've been through a few years of keeping a pocket digicam in the console of my car. I used to always keep a little Olympus Stylus loaded with Tri-X in the car, but I switched over to a digi a few years ago because of the instant feedback. Last summer I switched to a new, smaller digi and it's even handier. I have a DSLR, though, and when I'm heading out to shoot something in a premeditated fashion (that sounds unpleasant) I'll grab the DSLR because the big sensor makes a huge difference.

I think that at some point before too long larger sensors won't be too expensive for small cameras like this and we'll start seeing results that make film seem like a lot more trouble than it's worth. As it is right now I have no intention of shooting any interiors on film for the rest of my current project. It will all end up being HD100 indoors and film outdoors and I feel like I'm going to be pretty happy with that.