7285 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old March 1st, 2006, 11:41 PM   #1
Inner Circle

I've been trying out some lighting and generally just getting used to the camera tonight and I can't help thinking that this is a nice replacement for 16mm. It's got kind of an Ektachrome feel to it in a way with a sort of exaggerated color and limited latitude. I need to get comfortable with the setup options, but it seems like a very nice solution. It's just the right size, too. I can use a lighter weight tripod than I normally carry, but it's not teensy and it has all the necessary switches and dials so it works like a camera and not a cell phone.

I'm sorry. Just rambling a little.
Robert Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 12:57 AM   #2
Wrangler

Mmm, I love that 85 stock. I shot a series of bumpers for HBO Latino about 4 years ago that still runs between nearly every program. With a punchy telecine, those colors were unbeatable.
Old March 2nd, 2006, 01:16 AM   #3
Wrangler

Ahem. No beating of the colorists, please.

Just to nitpick, I sure hope the HD100 when tuned can pull more latitude than reversal stock? I thought the numbers on most reversal stock put it at about 3 stops top to bottom...
Old March 2nd, 2006, 08:40 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert
Mmm, I love that 85 stock. I shot a series of bumpers for HBO Latino about 4 years ago that still runs between nearly every program. With a punchy telecine, those colors were unbeatable.
Well, and of course this isn't mean to offend HD100 users in any way, but small chip HD isn't really quite up to replacing a magazine full of 7285, IMO. But within its limitations it seems to offer a pretty reasonable alternative at a fraction of the production outlay.

You know, on this same subject, I've been through a few years of keeping a pocket digicam in the console of my car. I used to always keep a little Olympus Stylus loaded with Tri-X in the car, but I switched over to a digi a few years ago because of the instant feedback. Last summer I switched to a new, smaller digi and it's even handier. I have a DSLR, though, and when I'm heading out to shoot something in a premeditated fashion (that sounds unpleasant) I'll grab the DSLR because the big sensor makes a huge difference.

I think that at some point before too long larger sensors won't be too expensive for small cameras like this and we'll start seeing results that make film seem like a lot more trouble than it's worth. As it is right now I have no intention of shooting any interiors on film for the rest of my current project. It will all end up being HD100 indoors and film outdoors and I feel like I'm going to be pretty happy with that.
Robert Jackson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems