Tape for HD100 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old March 6th, 2006, 03:57 PM   #16
Major Player

Panasonic dry or not dry?

Anybody can turn back to the original question???
All Panasonic miniDV tapes are dry lubricant, or just a higher ends?

Laszlo
Laszlo Horvath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 04:18 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
Oddly, on Focus' Firestore Compatibility chart, the HD100 and 101 are listed as only working with the DR-HD100 and not the FS-4Pro HD. I thought they were essentially the same thing?

That's interesting to see. I am expecting a new unit tomorrow from Holdan the Uk reps for Focus after sending my first one back. They tested 1080i and said it worked find but my question to them was 'can it deal with 720p 24fps?' I'll get the new unit back tomorrow and will test it but I have a funny feeling the problem will be the same. I went for the fs4 as the dr hd100 was not available at the time of shooting the irony is it has not worked anyway. However, looking at that compatability chart maybe that is why. I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

Greg C
Greg Corke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 06:17 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo Horvath
Anybody can turn back to the original question???
All Panasonic miniDV tapes are dry lubricant, or just a higher ends?

Laszlo
I just spent this last hour searching on Google. I couldn't find any info on that.
Diogo Athouguia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 03:46 AM   #19
New Boot

About Sony Tapes

Hello people,
i've read on this post someone saying that has been using Sony Excellence tapes. Well, as a video camera repair technician at a JVC Oficial Technical Service, i recomend you not to use this tapes, i have information that this tapes are very abrasive, in fact, i had situations with cameras using this tape, whose drum was worn out after 200 hours (for the GY-DV500, JVC recomend replacing the drum at 2000 hours).
The Sony Premium "heats" the drum, and after 30 minutes the error rate increases, and block noise may appear. Let the camera cool down and i twill be ok.
The TDK have bad mechanical construction, problem on insert / eject, broken tape, etc...
JVC recomends using JVC, Fuji or Panasonic tapes. For best results use the ProHD63 tape.

i hope that this helps

Best regards
Bruno Vaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 04:03 AM   #20
Major Player

I'm using the Sony excellence tapes. If it is that bad, are the DVCAM-tapes any better? Every tape has it's own disadvantages - so hew bad is it really. I'm just a little reluctant to switch brands (not because it is SONY - not at all actually - but because of inconsistensy)....
Werner Wesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 04:44 AM   #21
New Boot

DV Tapes

Hello Werner,
i understand what you say, but i'm only sharing some info and not saying that they are in fact bad.

Regards
Old March 8th, 2006, 10:19 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Bruno,

Any opinion on the Sony Digital Master tapes? I began using them when the JVC tapes were not yet available; should I be thinking about cleaning the heads and changing to JVC tapes? Don't want to be wearing my heads out at 200 hrs!

Thanks,

Gary
Gary Morris McBeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 12:25 PM   #23
New Boot

Hi Gary,
i don't have information about the Digital Master, but i suppose that if they are intended to be used as masters they should be good. Now, about changing to JVC tapes (ProHD 63), i think is better, because this new tape was developed to be used with GY-HD100, so i think it's the better choice.

Regards

Bruno
Old March 8th, 2006, 06:21 PM   #24
Major Player

Olá Bruno

What about cheap JVC tapes? I'm using the M-DV60ME, Is it safe for the camera to use these tapes?

I can't find the ProHD tapes here in Portugal, when I shoot important stuff I use the Panasonic Master tapes but I'm trying to stick to one brand. My idea is to use the cheap JVC to weddings and long events where one or two drop-outs won't be such a concern. For documentarys and stuff for broadcasting with limited footage I'd use the ProHD tapes.

The last TDK I used was damaged, I missed the first 10 minutes of footage... never again.

Cumprimentos vizinhos

Diogo
Old March 8th, 2006, 06:48 PM   #25
Trustee

Diogo,

That's exactly the tape I use without issue.
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 07:06 PM   #26
Major Player

Stephen, I'm using these tapes for some reasons: they're cheap, they're from the camera's same brand and I read from your posts that you've been using them for a few years. But my question is, what makes the difference between cheap and expensive tapes? Is the life of the footage or is the life of the camera's drum? In most cases I don't need the footage for more than 5 years, I have tapes with more than 10 years and they're ok... but my old VX1000 and PD150 went to service a few times. I just don't want the same to happen with my loving HD100.
Old March 8th, 2006, 07:10 PM   #27
Trustee

According to JVC, there is a better coating that prevents dropouts much better with the ProHD tapes. I'm the same as you. I have choosen the JVC ME60 tapes years ago after alot of research and they were the best then and they still perform even in the HD-100 in exemplary fasion. That is the only tape I've used in my camera. I never mix tapes because I always get the JVC ME60's
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 05:05 AM   #28
New Boot

Hello again,
about the M-DV60ME, they are good, i have used them in technical services wiithout problem. The thing is like Stephen Noe says, ProHD have a better coating. If you people are satisfied with the M-DV60ME, keep using them. The ProHD are a little more expensive, around 7.70 € + 21% (VAT) here in Portugal, but i think it's worth paying the diference.

Regards
Bruno Vaz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems