Th13X3.5BRMU - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old March 17th, 2006, 12:03 PM   #31
Major Player

Wow, big monster thanks for those, Tim. Not only are they a good comparison between the two lenses, they're a great reference for the all different detail settings.

(I recommend anyone wondering about the detail settings, particularly the Horizontal and Vertical sub-settings, download these.)
Old March 17th, 2006, 12:35 PM   #32
Trustee

WOW! that looks much better to me. It would be interesting to now have people compare the HD100 with the 13x lens and the other fixed lens HD cameras to see the results in detail. If the HD100 "only" at 720p could hold it's own compared to 1080i cameras then now it would look even better with the better lens. Those with the fixed lens cameras are stuck with that lens with no hope of ever getting a better lens. I'm sure as time passes HD lens options will get even better but the fixed lens cameras will still be stuck with the same lens technology

As of right now the HD100 is the only HD camera in this price range that at least has an option for a high quality HD lens. The Canon right now only has it's main 20x lens.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 12:43 PM   #33
Trustee

Tim, very interesting stuff. Thank you.
Old March 17th, 2006, 01:54 PM   #34
Wrangler

Holy crap. That looks like the same amount of difference between the HD100 and the Varicam when I was in on the 4 cam/Adam wilt test.

I think close scrutiny of the charts would show that my above statement is hyperbole, but I think it takes the HD100 a place very close to the Varicam, based on just pure res.
Old March 17th, 2006, 05:58 PM   #35
New Boot

13x vs. 16x

We shot last weekend with 2 cameras - A cam was Tip's with 13x, I was running B cam with stock lens, mainly shooting close-up inserts etc. not matching shot. But there is an obvious difference in the 2. The 13x has an overall quality from edge to edge that is outstanding, while I would rate the 16x as being just adequate. Anyone doing high-end HD for delivery to channels like Discovery or PBS should invest in the 13x - it turns the HD100 into a true pro tool.

Thanks to Tip and Paolo for coming out and making it a fun shoot!

Lance
Lance Bachelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 06:34 PM   #36
Regular Crew

So is anyone in the USA selling this lens for the price he got in Jakarta?
Ian E. Pearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 03:32 AM   #37
Major Player

Thanks for the kind words...

Lance,

Thanks very much for the nice post. Much appreciated! Everyone was very professional and the shoot really was fun. I did enjoy working with you, Paolo, John and the rest of the crew very much.

And that ice cold pitcher of Bass afterwards was as good as it gets, next time I won't wimp out after one. Thanks Paolo!

Tip
Tip McPartland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 07:59 AM   #38
Regular Crew

thank you Tim

Thanks Tim for your great dedication. The job that you do is fantastic. I really wait to hear your detailed opinion about the 13X.
When do you plan to post your comments?
Panos Bournias
Panos Bournias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 08:19 AM   #39
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panos Bournias
Thanks Tim for your great dedication. The job that you do is fantastic. I really wait to hear your detailed opinion about the 13X.
When do you plan to post your comments?
Panos Bournias
Ditto and echo this....
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems