Th13X3.5BRMU at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old March 8th, 2006, 10:43 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Th13X3.5BRMU

Hi everyone. I just received this afternoon the Th13X3.5RMU.
Is midnight now and I just finished the back focus, no shooting today - tomorrow. Anyhow my first impressions are: It is 2X heavier than the 16X, 5 cm longer, CA, during the backfocus with the 16X I was always experiencing the magenta at the edges of the star, with this one nothing.
Detail off on the JVC and I feel that the sharpness is really better.
Breathing almost -0-.
I open this new thread as for sure more people will purchase or use the lens. Unfortunatelly I cannot post footage as I live in Bali and my internet connection is very slow.
I will try to share my experiences with the lens... with words.
With the idx battery pack no balancing trouble.
For the end: I bought it for 6.900 usd.
My distributor in Jakarta told me that is still overpriced and he can still make money out of this price. So this is it. I lock up and go to bed.
I think the wide point is ~18 - 20 , and the tele is ~ 180, I don't know exactly yet.
Panos B
Panos Bournias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 12:38 PM   #2
Wrangler

I too am a big fan of this lens.
I had an opportunity to test the 13x3.5 lens a couple weeks ago. It is a very well made lens and wider than you would expect. It has much less CA (although it is still present to some degree) but the lens hardly breathes at all.
I'm throwing together a review now, but here is a sneak peak at the breathing comparison. (I posted this last week in another thread.)

Click here to view Quicktime loop of Breathing comparison

Here is the wide end field of view comparison. I established these FOV through physically locking the camera, changing lenses and marking the corners of the frame on a white board. I was surprised that the 3.5mm measured so much wider than the 5.5mm with the Wide adapter on. The wide adapter is supposed to render and equivalent of 4.5mm, so I assumed it would be somewhere inbetween.
I superimosed an image I quickly shot in a car to show how wide the lens really is in "the real world."

http://homepage.mac.com/timdashwood/...3xvs16xFOV.jpg

I recommended to the production company I work with to buy the lens, and they have. I should have it in my hands later this week.
Old March 8th, 2006, 01:47 PM   #3
Trustee

Tim,

According to the angle chart it breaks down like this
16x -------------> 48 degrees
16x w/adapter ---> 58 degrees
13x -------------> 70 degrees

70 degrees is a HEAP of angle to have and I think ideal for nature documentary or tight interior. How is the CA out at 13x?
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 02:56 PM   #4
Regular Crew

angle? can someone please explain the "angle" of the lens

thanks
Old March 8th, 2006, 04:50 PM   #5
Trustee

Jon,

Click here for image.

Steve
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 05:29 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panos Bournias
Hi everyone. I just received this afternoon the Th13X3.5RMU.
Is midnight now and I just finished the back focus, no shooting today - tomorrow. Anyhow my first impressions are: It is 2X heavier than the 16X, 5 cm longer, CA, during the backfocus with the 16X I was always experiencing the magenta at the edges of the star, with this one nothing.
Detail off on the JVC and I feel that the sharpness is really better.
Breathing almost -0-.
I open this new thread as for sure more people will purchase or use the lens. Unfortunatelly I cannot post footage as I live in Bali and my internet connection is very slow.
I will try to share my experiences with the lens... with words.
With the idx battery pack no balancing trouble.
For the end: I bought it for 6.900 usd.
My distributor in Jakarta told me that is still overpriced and he can still make money out of this price. So this is it. I lock up and go to bed.
I think the wide point is ~18 - 20 , and the tele is ~ 180, I don't know exactly yet.
Panos B
panos,
can you give out the contact information on your distributor in jakarta.
Maurice Jolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 06:04 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice Jolly
panos,
can you give out the contact information on your distributor in jakarta.
No kiddin'. Even with shipping and customs it would be cheaper than the $9000.00 street price in the USA :)

--
Paolo
Paolo Ciccone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 06:44 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen L. Noe
Jon,

Click here for image.

Steve

thanks steve, appreciated
Old March 8th, 2006, 08:38 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Only 6900!?!?!?! thats awesome! Its on B&H for 8999 I may be able to buy it eventually.
Ian E. Pearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 09:46 PM   #10
Major Player

I use to drool over cars... now it's a damn lens.

Congrats Panos!
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 12:21 AM   #11
Regular Crew

price

The contact info in Jakarta is:
Alfatech
Wisma Kyoei Prince
Jl. Sudirman Kav.3
Jakarta 10220
Tl. +62-21-5723139
Fax. +62361 5724320
e-mail: info@alfatech-broadcast.com
Try to contact Mr Adie

Impressions: The lens is better overall.
CA still exists but it is more controlable and of a finer nature.
Occurs only at very high contrast situations, black against white and can be controlled with accurate exposure.
Color resolution better than the 16X, sharper and "sweeter" if I can say so. Very little breathing and more flexible use for shal. DOF as is usable at 1,4 appert. without problems at the end tele.
Sweet part between ~2,8. to ~8. at 11 still not serious negative characteristics.
The sizes compaired to 35mm are: ~24mm (wide) - ~300mm (Tele).
Still no time for serious testing. I am waiting for Tim's evaluation as I respect his oppinions very much. I tried the lens with his recipies and I found more attractive the Amelie (warm) one, but I used a knee at 85%.
Yes... very happy.
Panos B.
Panos Bournias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 01:25 AM   #12

What's the US price?

Last edited by Guest; March 9th, 2006 at 09:51 AM.
Old March 9th, 2006, 07:44 AM   #13
Major Player

you could fly to Jakarta pick up the lens. go shoot some awesome footage in a great country. fly home and still pay less than what b&h charges for the lens.

dan weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 09:56 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Weber
you could fly to Jakarta pick up the lens. go shoot some awesome footage in a great country. fly home and still pay less than what b&h charges for the lens.

dan weber
And write it off your taxes. Hmmm.... guess I'll have to Google Jakarta.
Joel Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 10:05 AM   #15
Major Player

Since this is what I do for work, (travel and shoot). I can give you a few tips on the cheapest way to travel.

I use www.sidestep.com as a tool to search for flight options at cheap prices. I find a flight option that works for me price wise and is on my airline of choice (United for me). I then write down the exact flight info and times and then go to the airlines direct website and use the multi-city search option. Insert all of the info that you wrote down and usually you will have a cheaper flight option than the one on on sidestep.

The best way to get through Jakarta is through Bangkok. You will arrive in Bangkok at 12:00 am and will need to get a hotel until you can catch your flight to Jakarta. The Miracle Grand is a 5 start hotel with the best breakfast you will ever find for around $55 a night. Google Asia Travel to make your reservation. They will also pick you up and take you back to the airport.

Dan Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems