DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   HD-100 w/Final Cut & avid xpress (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/62488-hd-100-w-final-cut-avid-xpress.html)

Scott Jaco March 9th, 2006 05:54 PM

HD-100 w/Final Cut & avid xpress

I own an HD-100. I checked the specs on apples website and it seems that FCP 5.0 supports HD at 720p at 30f. thru firewire.

Can anyone confirm this? I don't want to spend the money until I'm certain my camera will work with this software.

So far, I've been using Avid Xpress Pro HD 5.0 (for PC) and it will only do Standard def. with my camera. When I go to the settings, it will only accept 720p at 60frames. Is there somthing I'm missing? Does this version of Avid just not support the HD setting needed for my HD100?

Thanks,

Scott

Daniel Weber March 9th, 2006 06:27 PM

Final Cut seems to intergrate HDV better than Avid at this point.

Though FCP doesn't work with 24P footage... yet. Wait until NAB, I would think.

Would you be editing on a desktop or laptop?

Dan Weber

Nate Weaver March 9th, 2006 07:11 PM

Yes. FCP works with the JVC in 30P mode. It even works with stuff in 24P mode, but you have to go through extra steps and workarounds.

Scott Jaco March 9th, 2006 08:42 PM

Cool!

Glad to hear it. I will be doing my HD work in 30p so I'm not so worried about the 24p issue for now.

I will be purchasing the Intel Imac so I'm waiting for the Universal version before purchasing the computer. I'm having some upgrades also 2 GB RAM, 256MB video card, 500 GB hard disk.

I thought about the macbook pro but it's more expensive, smaller screen, no DL DVD burner, no 7200rpm hard disk.

Thanks,
Scott

Daniel Weber March 9th, 2006 09:17 PM

I would also get several external drives to keep your footage on. With HDV you really need a drive just for the video footage. Either FW or USB2 would be fine, though if you use a USB2 drive you will then have the FW bus for the camera/deck to input the video on. With HDV the last thing you want to do is share a bus between the deck and the hard drive you are recording to. It worked o.k. with DV, but not HDV.

Good luck,

Dan Weber

Nate Weaver March 9th, 2006 11:08 PM

By the time there's an Intel Powermac, and a version of Final Cut Pro to go with it, odds are FCP will be working in 720p24 HDV also.

Scott Jaco March 9th, 2006 11:29 PM

Thanks

Thanks for the advice on the external hard drive.

If I get an external hard disk, it would have to be USB since my camera will need the firewire. My next question, is a USB external harddrive fast enough for the job? It would seem that an internal SATA harddisk would have a much faster transfer rate. That is why I'm thinking about just getting the bigger internal harddisk to start with and if I need an external, I could buy it later on.

Thanks again.

Scott

Tim Dashwood March 10th, 2006 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Jaco
I will be purchasing the Intel Imac so I'm waiting for the Universal version before purchasing the computer.

The Universal version is already available, but you need to buy Final Cut Studio retail, then send in your install disks, proof of purchase, $49 and the downloaded form.
http://www.apple.com/universal/crossgrade/

Scott Jaco March 10th, 2006 07:45 AM

Are you sure the Universal version of FCP 5.0 is available? Why can't I buy it in the stores?

Tim Dashwood March 10th, 2006 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Jaco
Are you sure the Universal version of FCP 5.0 is available? Why can't I buy it in the stores?

Apple isn't bothering to flip all the retail boxes of FCStudio 5 to Universal and is instead just offering the crossgrade program.
FCP6 will obviously be Universal from the get-go, but it hasn't even officially been announced yet.

Scott Jaco March 11th, 2006 02:16 AM

I just contacted Apple directly. They said FCP Universal isn't out until the end of the month. I'm stuck waiting until then I guess. It sucks because the Avid Xpress I'm using w/ my PC will only accept Standerd Def via Firewire. Damn software isn't compatable with the JVC I guess. All I get is a green screen in the preview window!

scott

Ted Ramasola March 11th, 2006 12:45 PM

I think the New version of Avid Xpress Pro HD 5.2+ supports HDV and with avid film composer alows you to do 24P.

Im a premier and edius user, but I saw my dealer with the upgraded version.