GlobalmediaPro Battery Review at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old March 15th, 2006, 08:33 PM   #1
Regular Crew

GlobalmediaPro Battery Review

Hi All,

Finally caved in and bought the AB mount and needed to get some batteries. Trying to do this with minimal expense, I stumbled upon globalmediapro. (www.globalmediapro.com). They are a New Zealand company that requires you to pay with a wire transfer or money order. Which gave me some pause.

I decided to take the plunge and bought a 160Wh battery and a single charger. I ordered on Friday and I got it today Tuesday, from New Zealand. FAST.

I got the 160Wh because I wanted a battery that could last all day and a single charger. I purchased on friday and sent my wire transfer, and I got the battery FROM NEW ZEALAND TODAY! Total batt and charger ~$360.

The charger is basic, and with one issue, it has a EURO style plug on the end and they didnt include an adapter, so I have to pick one of those up. to plug it into the wall, but it does automatically switch to 120. The charger had a DC plug that plugs into the battery to charge.

The battery is about the same size as a Dionic 90, but weighs a bit more at around 2.5lbs. Thus far its been on for about 5 hours, and still goign strong. It's probaly a bit overkill, but I wanted to be able to go out and NOT have to carry a charger or other batteries. The battery mounts without issue on the mount, but does not show any runtime information in the viewfinder of the camera, only voltage and it shows 16 volts.

The camera with this battery is SERIOUSLY back heavy, but it is much better on the shoulder with this weight, before I could never find a really stable position with the JVC, now its awesome. A matte box and filters balances it better with the new weight in the back, but overall i like the added weight even without a matte box on the front.

Overall, I am pleased with the transaction thus far, and seems to be a nice option for use folks who didnt get in on the IDX deal, about $500 for a complete mount, battery, and charger.

Has anyone else use their batteries for a while? Do they last?

I'll post back with any issues...
Old March 16th, 2006, 06:37 AM   #2
New Boot

GlobalMediaPro Batts

Randall,
I'm from Oz and i have bought 2 of the GlobalMediaPro V-Lock 160Ah Batts and the Dual charger and i love them.....!
i have been shooting a one hour special for one of the networks here in Sydney for the last 3 weeks and these batts have been amazing.
I'm getting a full 8hr day, and around half of the next day on 1 batt......! thats obviously stop/start shooting, no continuos rolling, but i think thats pretty darn good for 1 batt.
the weight thing is no issue for me, i have a Chrosziel Matte box on the front and it all balances up nicely.
If you want more V-lock batts at an even better price i found a guy on Ebay.com.au thats selling some Chinese knock offs at a great price....! here's the link....
http://search.ebay.com.au//search/se...satitle=V-lock
cheers
Paul Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 09:02 AM   #3
Wrangler

There's a guy in florida operating as Batteries4broadcast.com selling the same products. Two 90wh and a dual place charger worked out to about $740 for me, about the same price as GlobalMediaPro with shipping.

Each 90wh lasts about 5-6 hours as expected and so far I've had no problems. Each 160wh battery would last about 8-9 hours, I'd think!
Old March 17th, 2006, 12:15 AM   #4
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Brown
Hi All,

The battery is about the same size as a Dionic 90, but weighs a bit more at around 2.5lbs. Thus far its been on for about 5 hours, and still goign strong. It's probaly a bit overkill, but I wanted to be able to go out and NOT have to carry a charger or other batteries. The battery mounts without issue on the mount, but does not show any runtime information in the viewfinder of the camera, only voltage and it shows 16 volts.

Has anyone else use their batteries for a while? Do they last?

I'll post back with any issues...
If your viewfinder is showing 16 volts, you may have an older version of the AB adapter - in which case they should swap it out for you. I have the AB adapter - originally mine showed 8V and then was swapped over for one which read 7.2Volts on the knocker. I did hear of someone else with one that showed 16 volts in the viewfinder - I never did find out if it was the AB or the firmware in the camera that was causing that.

I bought from GMP as well (but I'd bought from them a couple of times before) - 2 of the 95's and the double charger. Works great.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 12:19 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Called ANTON

Hey I just called Anton about the 16 volts reading, as others have said they say its the JVC software and that an update will be announced on 3/20 with all the details. But in the interim not to worry because the conversion (step down) is made in the mount itself. Lets hope this update is free...
Old March 18th, 2006, 12:14 PM   #6
New Boot

AB Mount

Hi

Quick question, where is the best place to buy the AB mount?

I have found the IDX mount, but for the life of me cannot find the AB mount anywhere.

Thanks
Glenn Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2006, 09:16 PM   #7
New Boot

AB from B&H

Here's the B&H link for the AB gold mount:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Hope this helps!
Sam Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2006, 08:11 AM   #8
Regular Crew

An Update

The battery ROCKS. A little heavy but its awesome. The only watchout is that the adapter/ charger is for 240 volts, so you need a step up converter. Luckily i had one sitting here. I at first used an adapter and plugged it in, came back the next morning, and still no improvement in charge. Now it works great. The back of the charger seems to imply it could use 120 V, but it cant.
Old April 8th, 2006, 08:34 AM   #9
New Boot

I read somewhere that the AB adaptor and batteries interfere with the shoulder pad adjustment whereas the IDX system doesn't.
Can anyone comment?
Robert Dolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2006, 10:50 AM   #10
Major Player

In France there is a company also selling batteries. Here's the link:
http://www.dvloc.com/batteries.php4
Marc Colemont is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems