DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Various ways to capture with HD100 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/62976-various-ways-capture-hd100.html)

Nima Taheri March 16th, 2006 04:22 AM

Various ways to capture with HD100

What are y'all way of capturing footage shot in HDV (pref PAL) with the HD100?

I've tried Avid 5.2, does not work in HDV
Edius, which leaves too grainy images
Avid Liquid 7, does not work in HDV
Ulead Mediastudio 8, gives best looking images

I just want to capture in full quality, not worrying about size of files. In what way do you guys capture to achieve full quality mpeg2s?

I would prefer to capture straight in Avid, so does anybody know if Avid 5.2.3 supports 720p with the HD100?

Also:
What device should the HD100 show up as on WinXP. Mine shows up as Imaging device - AVC Compliant DV Camcorder. I've read it should be JVC Tape unit, but I can't get windows to find the JVC drivers, is there somewhere I can download them?

Also, why is the Canopus HQ Avi so grainy when capturing master footage? I also tried the Uncompressed(UYVY) and (YUY2) codecs, but I'm not sure if these are suitable for PAL?

Stephen L. Noe March 16th, 2006 07:35 AM

Liquid 7 will work. You MUST tell the program in the I/O devices and "Player Settings" control panel that you have a JVC device connected. Now connect the BR50 deck or the camera to your computer and have Windows recognize the connection. Then you MUST go to the "System Settings" control panel I/O tab and select "video input" 1394. Now double click the selection in the tree an make sure it reads "microsoft AV/C subnit device". Now go down to the "video output" 1394 in the tree on the left and select 1394. In the right tree, double click MPEG output format and a box will drop down that contains the JVC device types (ie D-VHS 25, D-VHS 30, ProHD30, ProHD25, HD1 50, HD1 60). Select either DVHS 25 or ProHD25. Once the setup is done you'll be set. It does work but you must set it up correctly because Liquid will reject the device type if it does not match in the control panel for MPEG.

As a side note, once the control panel is configured properly for capture and dump to tape, Liquid will capture ALL formats off the camera correctly.

Laszlo Horvath March 16th, 2006 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nima Taheri
What are y'all way of capturing footage shot in HDV (pref PAL) with the HD100?

Edius, which leaves too grainy images

I just want to capture in full quality, not worrying about size of files. In what way do you guys capture to achieve full quality mpeg2s?

Also, why is the Canopus HQ Avi so grainy when capturing master footage? I also tried the Uncompressed(UYVY) and (YUY2) codecs, but I'm not sure if these are suitable for PAL?

With Canopus you need a deacent computer, least dualcore Intel or AMD. Specially if you want capture uncompressed. May your computer is not fast enough, that's why the grainy captured footage.
BTW: Canopus's HQ codec is FANTASTIC, you don't need capture uncompressed at all. With HQ, you don't loose ANY quality, just a captured file will be bigger.

Laszlo

Nima Taheri March 16th, 2006 09:03 AM

Stephen: Thank you, I will try that.

Laszlo: don't lose ANY quality with Canopus HQ? you sure? I have a single P4 3.06ghz processor, you think that is the reason why Canopus HQ capturing results in some grainy capture?

Nima Taheri March 16th, 2006 11:14 AM

Stephen

I tried the settings, and might work, but Liquid keeps crashing whenever I try to start the EZ Capture tool. It does not crash when I start the EZ Capture in dv mode. Any ideas?

I tried the ingest capture and digitized in the .m2v format which is native, which worked. But what is the difference between the Capture and Ingest tool?

Laszlo Horvath March 16th, 2006 11:20 AM

Quote:

Laszlo: don't lose ANY quality with Canopus HQ? you sure? I have a single P4 3.06ghz processor, you think that is the reason why Canopus HQ capturing results in some grainy capture?

I'm possitive on both.
I tried, lot's of other Edius user tried too. I started with the P4 3.4 computer, but after 10-12 mins the capturing process stoped. And the digitized footage was grainy.
Now, I use dual dual core AMD and everything OK. You don't need to go to this expensive processors, single dual core do the trick.
Again, HQ is GREAT, you don't loose any quality.

Laszlo

Stephen L. Noe March 16th, 2006 05:40 PM

Quote:

Stephen

I tried the settings, and might work, but Liquid keeps crashing whenever I try to start the EZ Capture tool. It does not crash when I start the EZ Capture in dv mode. Any ideas?

I tried the ingest capture and digitized in the .m2v format which is native, which worked. But what is the difference between the Capture and Ingest tool?

I don't believe you can use the "ingest" tool with m2v unless you are in 'Live" mode. You need to use the capture tool found on the F6 key whenever you capture and you'll have no further problems....

Nima Taheri March 17th, 2006 08:02 AM

Stephen!

Thanks for the tip, I tried the Logging Tool, and it works great.

But is there a way of choosing another format than .2mv for capture?

Ted Ramasola March 17th, 2006 10:03 AM

Nima

I use edius Pro 3.6. You use the mpeg capture utility after You choose generic ohci device.

Then you will be able to capture the M2T transport stream file to your computer. Though I have storm2 card on board, this has nothing to do with its performance. I only hav a P4 with 3.8 ghz at 2gig ram. Capture to a barracuda drive. It works even if the drive is not a striped drive.

after you captured the m2t file, you can now edit it in prem pro2 or avid.

If you want to edit in edius pro 3.6, I can say it is fast as a cuts and dissolves editor. basic to slightly advanced color correction is possible.

Edius pro 3.6 handles 24P and 30P VERY well.

I also used premier pro. This has superb color correction and image resizing and cropping capability compared to edius which degrades the image the moment to try resizing, cropping zooming, etc.

Titling in edius is done in title motion by inscriber, a great titler IMHO, the one in premier pro is also made inscriber.

Hope this helps

Ted

Stephen L. Noe March 17th, 2006 05:29 PM

Quote:

Stephen!

Thanks for the tip, I tried the Logging Tool, and it works great.

But is there a way of choosing another format than .2mv for capture?

Capturing merely transfers the file from the tape to Liquid's media management. It comes out is m2v because Liquid demuxes (splits) the video from the audio and the result is m2v (video program stream) and wav (audio program stream). Now that it's on the system you need to create a sequence and at that time you need to select your render/fuse codec. For the best possible quality select "Uncompressed 2VUY" and you'll get 422 uncompressed frames or select "MPEG2 MP@HL (M2V)" and you'll get HDV render. Here's the trick Nima, set the timeline up for "MPEG2 MP@HL (M2V)" initially and do your editing. This will give you at least 4 RT HDV streams on any capable P4 3.2 HT while your editing. Once your sequence is complete and you are happy with your cut, switch the timeline over to "Uncompressed 2VUY" and let any FX render. Now choose your deliver format and export as needed. The point is: 1 Work in HDV (for speed) and deliver in uncompressed (for quality).

With Liquid it does not matter that you've worked in MPEG2 because anything needing to be rendered will always be derrived from the original content. That's gold.