Exposure on the HD100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old March 16th, 2006, 05:34 AM   #1
Major Player

Exposure on the HD100

I've read a few times that people are setting AE level to -3. I find this results in slightly too much underexposure. I am using -2 now, but may start using -1.

This camera handles quite differently to what I am used to with video because the wide latitude gives you a bit of "play."

So anyway, I was just wondering how people are choosing their exposure when they DON'T have a monitor. Are you setting zebra over 95% or 100% and then exposing to keep the highlights just below that? Obviously you sometimes have to let the highlights clip - eg the Sun shining off of chrome.

The other thing I have found is that the colour rendition is greatly effected by exposure. The colours are really punchy when well exposured and far more pastel when underexposed.

Any comments and ideas would be great, thanks!
Mike Marriage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 09:05 AM   #2
Major Player

I haven't done any exterior shooting, but when I shoot interviews indoors, I set my zebras at 70-80% and leave a small piece of the zebras on the hottest spot. This is with no white in the scene. I try not to let my subjects wear white - it just makes my life easier.

Here's a thread from Cinematography.net that addresses zebras - in the DV world. I don't know if HDV should be any different. It's the same principle.

http://www.cinematography.net/Pages%...TheDVX-100.htm
Bill Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 10:51 AM   #3
Major Player

I also have AE set to -3, but that is personal taste. You could set the custom buttons to AE + and AE - and then adjust depending on what you think you need
Werner Wesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 11:04 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werner Wesp
I also have AE set to -3, but that is personal taste.
I think it also depends on the settings. Which black stretch on 3 you can afford to underexpose further. Some of my recipes use Black compress though which looses a fair bit of that information.
Mike Marriage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 11:51 AM   #5
Major Player

indeed, but I have black set to normal...
Werner Wesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 12:08 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Marriage
I was just wondering how people are choosing their exposure when they DON'T have a monitor.
I generally use zebras at 100% and set exposure manually by turning the iris until I see the zebras in the brightest large areas, then turning it back slightly so I only have zebras in the smallest highlights (lightbulbs, reflections, etc.) This way I know I'm just under the overexposure threshold for the majority of the scene.
Earl Thurston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 03:34 AM   #7
Major Player

I like to do it this way: set the zebra's at 70 and make sure faces are in zebra. or put the zebra at 80+ (i believe it is 85-95 then in the HD100) and make sure there is no zebra-pattern on the faces...
Werner Wesp is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems