Does Anyone Have Any HD100 Slo-Mo Footage That Can Be Posted? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old March 16th, 2006, 12:15 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Does Anyone Have Any HD100 Slo-Mo Footage That Can Be Posted?

I know that there was a thread posted recently on Slo-Mo, but I was wondering if anyone had any footage they could either post or show a link to view some footage. Thanks.
Rogelio Salinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 10:30 PM   #2
New Boot

Rogelio,

Here's a small file from some tests I did over the weekend (mind it still turned out to be 56MB):
http://www.jvelez.com/media/water_slo_mo.m2t

The first portion is at regular speed. The second at 25%.

The methodology:
1. Set the HD100 to HDV-SD 60P (shutter @ 100/detail @ +2/true color scene 2 from Paolo Ciccone)
2. Capture AVI through Connect HD (rate change set to "No Change")
3. Drop on Vegas timeline (preview 720x480x32 59.940p)
4. Duplicate file on timeline and slow to .25
5. Render to m2t 720x480x32 @ 24P

I have no experience with other NLEs, so the steps may have to be translated accordingly. I slowed down only to .25 because after that it starts getting jittery. One more thing: The media was captured at 720x480 HDV-SD, so this will not show HDV in all its glory. Still great quality IMHO for 720x480 output. I haven't tested HDV-SD50P, but I'm confident the resolution will look even better. Hope this helps give you an idea of the slo-mo capabilities of the HD100.

-JV

PS - Please forgive the cheap bowl from my wife's kitchen.
Javier Velez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 10:42 PM   #3
Trustee

Dang that looks good considering it's SD.
The slo-mo looks good.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 03:26 AM   #4
Wrangler

http://homepage.mac.com/timdashwood/...60Pto24fps.m2t

It was a little underexposed, but you'll get the idea.

The clip was shot in "HDV-SD60P" mode. I captured this on a Mac with HDVxDV.
I then used Mpeg Streamclip to upconvert and uprez to 1280x720 FCP Uncompressed 4:2:2 codec at 60P.
Then I "Conformed" the uncompressed 1280x720 clip to 23.98fps using Cinema Tools.
I then used Lumiere HD to encode back to m2t so you could look at it.
Old March 18th, 2006, 10:21 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks guys. I am at work today, but I will take a look at the clips later today. I am trying to decide between the HD100 and the HVX200. I was orginally considering the XLH1, but I figured I could get an HD100 and a new CPU with for less than the price of the XLH1. The reason I was looking for slo-mo HD100 clips was to compare them to the slo-mo clips from the HVX200. I love the look of the HVX clips, but the resolution is just slightly above SD quality. The HD100 brings it to a whole new level. Next year I am going to be shooting a feature, but I am doing some r&d on which 1/3" HD camera to invest in. So far for resolution on normal shots, it's the HD100, but the slo-mo on the HVX200 would look incredible for some of the scenes I have planned. I know the Good Lord will provide an answer when the time is right.
Rogelio Salinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 10:34 AM   #6
CTO, CineForm Inc.

This clip at this link http://indiefilmlive.blogspot.com/20...explained.html use an HD100 but bypassed the MPEG/tape for 720p60 capture.
Old March 18th, 2006, 01:33 PM   #7
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogelio Salinas
I love the look of the HVX clips, but the resolution is just slightly above SD quality.
If that's what you're basing your decision on, you've been quite misinformed. All the HD cameras provide roughly comparable resolution, and the HVX is far above SD quality! Here's an extraction of resolution charts so you can see how the Sony, JVC and HVX compare.
http://www.fiftv.com/HVX200/3-Cams-Charts.JPG
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 02:30 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Green
If that's what you're basing your decision on, you've been quite misinformed. All the HD cameras provide roughly comparable resolution, and the HVX is far above SD quality! Here's an extraction of resolution charts so you can see how the Sony, JVC and HVX compare.
http://www.fiftv.com/HVX200/3-Cams-Charts.JPG
Barry,

Those still resolution charts just don't cut it. You MUST put the camera in motion in order to reveal the true resolution. Rogelio is correct, the HVX200 is just above SD. Sitting still on a tripod Panansonic's math kicks in but with camera in motion the rez drops to just above SD. As much as I wish it was not true, it is.
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 03:28 PM   #9
Barry Wan Kenobi

You'll forgive me if I don't agree. Your assertion simply doesn't hold with real-world experience. I've shot plenty of motion with the HVX and it's high-def all the way, all the time.

Here's a simple example:
http://www.salatar.com/hvx200/720-DVCPRO-ball.Xmov
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 05:43 PM   #10
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Green
I know this conversation is veering away from the original question of slo-mo samples, but I find it interesting.

Barry, that was a great clip, and very telling of how Panasonic is handling the pixel shift.

It is interesting to watch the clock during the clip. Assuming the clock cycles at 60Hz, it gives us an indication of how fast the pixel shifting samples each pass. Since this was a 24P clip, it looks like the HVX200 is sampling at either 48Hz (2-passes per frame) or 96Hz (4-passes per frame) and then using some smart algorithm to predict motion blur. The only problem here was that it couldn't figure out the clock because it flickered at 60Hz, and we ended up getting double images on some frames.
This reminds me of the effect of a butterfly shutter (aka bowtie shutter) on a CP16.

http://homepage.mac.com/timdashwood/...200-motion.jpg

Now back to the slo-mo question: I'm curious to see a 720P60 captured clip from the HVX200. I would guess it would have to sample at 120Hz in order to interpolate the full 720 lines. I'm curious how accurate that info would be.
I really should spend more time in the HVX forum! I could see the HVX200 making an ideal crash-cam for overcranking on stunts, pyro. etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Does Anyone Have Any HD100 Slo-Mo Footage That Can Be Posted?-hvx200-motion.jpg  

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems