Hd100 & Gr-hd1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old March 19th, 2006, 01:48 PM   #1
Major Player

Hd100 & Gr-hd1

I'm considering the possibility of using the HD1 as a second camera in interviews w/ the HD100 - only for a wide shot if I have more than one subject. How noticeable do you think that would be if I edit from a close-up (HD100) to a 2-shot (HD1)? I wouldn't linger on the 2-shot for long. It's still HDV, yes? The specs on B&H say the HD1 is 720p, but it doesn't say HDV - if it's MPEG 2, it has to be HDV, right?

I like this arrangement because it's cheaper and my clients wouldn't have to have two huge cameras staring at them. This is not for broadcast - mostly projected and burned to DVD.

Thanks.
Bill Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2006, 04:04 PM   #2
Major Player

Typically, the better camera should be the WS and the lesser camera would do a pretty good job with close ups. However, I don't know enough about the HD1 to comment on compatibility. As far as I remember the HD1 is a single chip and as such it may be diffcult to match colours.
Old March 19th, 2006, 04:16 PM   #3
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Bakala
Typically, the better camera should be the WS and the lesser camera would do a pretty good job with close ups. However, I don't know enough about the HD1 to comment on compatibility. As far as I remember the HD1 is a single chip and as such it may be diffcult to match colours.
The real key for both is adequate light. By lightlng for the much less sensitive HD1 -- you don't want any noise in the video -- you cover that.

Now just tune the HD100 to match color saturation and add edge sharpness because the HD1 has more edge enhancement than the HD10 or HD100.

The HD1 is naturally warm -- great pure yellows and greens (good browns) -- so you may need to build an HD100 preset to match

And, yes the lower rez -- but not by that much -- HD1 should be your CU camera. You might want to keep it on a tripod. Steadier will look sharper.

Turn OFF the HD100's Motion Filter so it shoots 720p30 just like the HD1.

Let us know how it works.
Old March 19th, 2006, 04:33 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for the responses. I thought about using the H1 for close-ups, but I love the image I get from the HD100 in interviews (I've only used it w/ one subject so far, so only close-ups) and it's hard to imagine getting as good an image w/ a single-chip camera. The close-up is far and away the most important shot, but if the HD works as well, then that's what I'll do. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old March 19th, 2006, 05:28 PM   #5
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Parker
It's still HDV, yes? The specs on B&H say the HD1 is 720p, but it doesn't say HDV - if it's MPEG 2, it has to be HDV, right?
The HD1 is fully HDV compliant. It actually came out before HDV was announced, but in the official HDV announcement it was "grandfathered in". So HD100 30P and HD1 30p are fully compatible and tapes are interchangeable. The HD1 doesn't shoot 24p or 25p, nor can it play back HD100 24p or 25p footage, but it can transport the footage via firewire.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 07:52 AM   #6
Major Player

Would the Beachtek adapter that I've used with my VX2000 be compatible w/ the HD1? From what I can see, there is only the miniplug audio in for the HD1. The HD10U has something called a Pro Pad w/ XLR inputs, but is not that much less than the HD100 and it's still single-chip. Is this the same image as the HD1? It seems like a lot of money for a similar product.
Old March 20th, 2006, 09:45 AM   #7
Barry Wan Kenobi

The HD1 and HD10 use the same imaging hardware, but there's a whole lot of edge enhancement in the HD1 image that was toned down in the HD10.

The XLR inputs on the HD10 are indeed an external block that just plugs into the same 1/8" input jack. Whether your VX2000 Beachtek would work is something I don't know the answer to; I know that at one point Beachtek made a different version for some cameras, I think it had to do with a grounding issue, but IINM that was really only for the VX1000, not the VX2000...

As far as "not that much less" than the HD100, well, that depends on where you get it. Someone posted a link either here or on the other forum for new HD10's being clearanced at $599, I think it was at overstock.com but I'm not sure.
Old March 20th, 2006, 10:07 AM   #8
Major Player

Sorry. I got the pricing wrong. I thought I saw it somewhere for $4000. Obviously not. Thanks.
Old March 20th, 2006, 03:42 PM   #9
Barry Wan Kenobi

When it was first offered for new it was $3999, but it's discontinued now.
Old March 20th, 2006, 09:39 PM   #10
New Boot

HD1 or HD10?

Steve/Barry,

This may belong in the HD1/HD10 post but since it's part of the subject at hand I have a couple of questions you may help me with.

I'm looking for a backup camera for my HD100. Is there a noticeable difference between the HD1 and HD10? Should one camera be chosen over the other, or will they both give similar results/performance? The camera will be used for event video and there may be instances of moderately low light.

Barry - you mentioned that the camera has been discontinued, but I still see that B&H is offering both of them as stocked items (I assume they ceased production). Does any of you know if JVC will still support it, and for how long? Thanks to both of you for your continued help to the group.

JV
www.jvelez.com
Javier Velez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 02:20 AM   #11
Barry Wan Kenobi

The HD10 used to be listed as "discontinued" on pro.jvc.com. Now it's not even listed at all.

I'm sure B&H and other stores still have unsold new stock though, that's probably what you're seeing. I am certain that JVC will offer support for any new product purchased through an authorized dealer for at least the duration of the warranty period...
Barry Green is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems