DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   "Blue-ish" Footage? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/63243-blue-ish-footage.html)

Heath Vinyard March 19th, 2006 03:09 PM

"Blue-ish" Footage?

Hey all.
I'm finally doing my tests with my HD100 and the footage is all blue. I'm using these settings on the camera:

Master Black - -2
Black - Normal
Detail - Off
White Clip - 108%
Knee 80%
Level - 100%
Cinelike - Off
Gamma - Std
Gamma Level - -4
Color Gain - Normal
R Gain - 3
R Rotation - 4
G Gain - 2
G Rotation - Normal
B Gain - 3
B Rotation - -3
Black stretch - 3

I will post a clip of the footage when I get it rendered.

Any help would be really great.
Thanks.

Jimmy McKenzie March 19th, 2006 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heath Vinyard
I'm suing these settings on the camera:

I'd sue also if all my footage were blue!!

But seriousy folks, why change your rgb values? If you need a special look out of the colour gain on specific channels, try that in post instead.

Also, and I have to presume here, you must white balance with the old white card using the light in play with correct iris and focus.

Heath Vinyard March 19th, 2006 03:15 PM

Sorry. I'd actually NOT want the footage to be blue. Normal would work just fine. This isn't Traffic, the low bug version. :)

Heath Vinyard March 19th, 2006 03:39 PM

Auto white balance?

Now back to our regular programming.... :)

Cole McDonald March 19th, 2006 06:24 PM

Sounds like a white balance to me...do you have frames you could post to be able to see what the blue looks like? The sun is blue, interior lights are reddish. You probably have the WB balanced for interior lights, then moved outside and forgot to change the settings. I have orange/red footage that is the same thing, but other way around. Rewhite it in post...just push the color corrector away from blue (on the color wheel). I use Final Cut, so I could describe it there, not in other editors.

Tim Dashwood March 19th, 2006 07:30 PM

Sounds like you were using tungsten white balance (3200K) in daylight (5600K)

Heath Vinyard March 19th, 2006 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
Sounds like you were using tungsten white balance (3200K) in daylight (5600K)

Wow. That was it. I plan on reading up on white balance, and am way glad my project in May will have a DP. :)

John Mitchell March 22nd, 2006 01:21 AM

Quote:

Wow. That was it. I plan on reading up on white balance, and am way glad my project in May will have a DP. :)

Heath - it may be possible to correct fo white balance using colour correction in post. It won't be ideal but you should get a reasonable result.

Constantin Marin March 22nd, 2006 05:14 AM

Quote:

Hey all.
I'm finally doing my tests with my HD100 and the footage is all blue.

Do you have a tape with this blue footage or you have seen the blue image live on your monitor.. because I think you have change the component conectors.. and this why you get blue image on your monitor!

Am I wrong?

Cole McDonald March 23rd, 2006 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Constantin Marin
Do you have a tape with this blue footage or you have seen the blue image live on your monitor.. because I think you have change the component conectors.. and this why you get blue image on your monitor!

Am I wrong?

It was a white balance problem. He had the camera balanced for indoor light (tungsten) which made sunlight look very blue. Happens all the time. The opposite happens as well leaving one with very yellow footage...I have some as I forgot to white balance when coming indoors on a recent shoot, DOH!

Constantin Marin March 23rd, 2006 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cole McDonald
It was a white balance problem. He had the camera balanced for indoor light (tungsten) which made sunlight look very blue. Happens all the time. The opposite happens as well leaving one with very yellow footage...I have some as I forgot to white balance when coming indoors on a recent shoot, DOH!

Bad boy!!!

Next time be sure that you have done all the settings correctly...becuase otherwise you can create negative rumors! :D

Thanks for reply...

Tim Dashwood March 23rd, 2006 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Constantin Marin
Next time be sure that you have done all the settings correctly...becuase otherwise you can create negative rumors! :D

Good point Constantine. I'm sure some of us browsing the thread titles assume this refers to the "blue screen" and mode changing bug some have experienced.
I have changed the title of the thread from "Blue Footage" to "'Blue-ish' Footage."

Heath Vinyard March 23rd, 2006 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
Good point Constantine. I'm sure some of us browsing the thread titles assume this refers to the "blue screen" and mode changing bug some have experienced.
I have changed the title of the thread from "Blue Footage" to "'Blue-ish' Footage."

Thanks Tim.
And thank you everyone for pointing out white balance to me. I've read up extensively on this and now have a better understanding of it.

Thank you all.

Cole McDonald March 24th, 2006 01:47 AM

We're there for you! 3 years ago, I was there with you! Keep asking questions (both of yourself and others), it's the only way to learn more about new things. Experience is the best teacher.

Constantin Marin March 24th, 2006 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cole McDonald
We're there for you! 3 years ago, I was there with you! Keep asking questions (both of yourself and others), it's the only way to learn more about new things. Experience is the best teacher.

My first boss has a very good word:
Learning by doing... but I think you american guys know better!