FREE upgrade for U.S. owners to "A" Version - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old March 20th, 2006, 04:57 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info! I had to go to the dentist and get a tooth pulled today, but I'll have my camera shipped out tomorrow, let's hope this goes fast for everybody!
Timothy McLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 05:40 PM   #17
Major Player

Just dropped mine off in Cypress. We'll see what happens. I was a little nervous because the person that took it marked the camera in "Fair" condition (no hours on the tape drive and 2 hours on the fan) and asked me "What upgrade?" Oh boy...
Old March 20th, 2006, 05:54 PM   #18
Major Player

Just wondering how long will it take to get your camera back...
Gary McClurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 05:55 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McClurg
Just wondering how long will it take to get your camera back...
They're pushing for 72 hour turnaround, but they won't let you wait for the camera if you take it up there. I had to leave mine.
Old March 20th, 2006, 07:04 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Hate to be the stick in the mud for this. But then again I'm not from the U.S. They are identifying these with stickers. stickers? Are you kidding? There should be better verification that owners are receiving a "new" camera, not a refurbished unit. There were hundreds and hundreds of units returned and, many of those I expect will be replacement units for the 100's. I don't even live in the US but I feel customers will be mislead. Hopefully not. But the sticker is not a good sign. Owners, please leave an identifiable mark etched on the bottom of your camera so we can tell if the returns going back to the factory are being eventually returned to the streets.
Albert Henson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 07:53 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Henson
Hate to be the stick in the mud for this. But then again I'm not from the U.S. They are identifying these with stickers. stickers? Are you kidding? There should be better verification that owners are receiving a "new" camera, not a refurbished unit. There were hundreds and hundreds of units returned and, many of those I expect will be replacement units for the 100's. I don't even live in the US but I feel customers will be mislead. Hopefully not. But the sticker is not a good sign. Owners, please leave an identifiable mark etched on the bottom of your camera so we can tell if the returns going back to the factory are being eventually returned to the streets.
Every camera has a serial number, just write it down and you'll be fine. No need to etch anything on the camera...:-)
Old March 20th, 2006, 10:11 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Actually - it's too hard to track numbers amongst one another globally. It would be best if there was something to indicate that the camera was indeed used. canada's cameras will find their way into the states, and vice versa. There is no way for us to verify cameras by serial numbers, unless someone owned dozens and returned them. Also the drum hours can be reset by jvc, I'm simply getting at finding ways to ensure that owners are getting a fair exchange. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me, fool me three times and jvc will be facing numerous hd100 owners who will finally see the way they have been treated as consumers.

Make sure the camera has a subtle blemish to help ensure we are treated fairly.
Albert Henson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 10:48 PM   #23
Major Player

Albert, surely you jest! You keep implying a massive JVC conspiracy that no one is buying into.

Mark me in the column of people who believe JVC is putting forth a great effort and isn't seeking to defraud its customer base.
Warren Shultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 02:39 AM   #24
Major Player

Albert, you are just guessing yourself, that's not fair.
By the way, you can even see a copy of the serial number on the original box.
So why are you so sure they will not give back your camera?
And what's the big deal anyway? It's a free upgrade to solve the issues some of us have. You should be happy, no?
My HD100E goes into service today.
Marc Colemont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 05:25 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Hd 100e

Good news for you in the states!

What about the Pal-version of the camera, anybody ho nows?
Mikael Widerberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 06:38 AM   #26
Major Player

Marc, where are you sending your camera to? Is JVC upgrading the firmware here in Europe?
Diogo Athouguia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 08:51 AM   #27
Major Player

Albert, I think that you don't understand this upgrade; they don't exchange the cameras, they upgrade them - meaning the owners get their very cameras back with upgraded software and whatever else is changed but it is the same camera that comes back, hence the S/N is all you need to check.
Old March 21st, 2006, 09:07 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efrain Gomez
what does "improved NLE performance" entail?

So, if i bought my camera last month, should I do this upgrade?

:: efrain ::
I hope it fixes this: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=62465
Kaspar Stromme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 09:15 AM   #29
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Henson
There should be better verification that owners are receiving a "new" camera, not a refurbished unit.
Albert, it's important that you understand: HD100 owners receive NEITHER a new camera NOR a refurbished unit. Instead, they receive their own camera... the exact same camera they sent in.

Jiri is absolutely right, of course -- all you need to do is to note your serial number and make sure you get the same camera back that you sent in. Once again, there is no "camera exchange" involved here. It's a modification to the camera you own. Sure hope we're making this very clear here.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 11:06 AM   #30

these GY-HD100 (A) firmware updates should be a similar exercise to firmware updates created for the BR-DV3000U (B) and BR-DV6000 (B) DV VCRs. The boxes and machines were stickered to note the firmware update.

We've been able to forward old vcr's in for free updates to JVC service with out issue.

This should be a positive experience for GY-HD100U owners.
Terry Nixon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems