FREE upgrade for U.S. owners to "A" Version - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old March 21st, 2006, 11:53 AM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Nixon
these GY-HD100 (A) firmware updates should be a similar exercise to firmware updates created for the BR-DV3000U (B) and BR-DV6000 (B) DV VCRs. The boxes and machines were stickered to note the firmware update.

We've been able to forward old vcr's in for free updates to JVC service with out issue.

This should be a positive experience for GY-HD100U owners.
Of course it's a positive experience. Read the JVC release, almost all the upgrade issues are with 3rd party integration. I'm really pleased with the fix for the broken clip issue that we experienced with a lot of our first footage in FCP. Obviously the fact that they say it will now work with the new Firestore is very good news for all of us who saw the HD100 as a "best of both worlds" tapeless system with a tape back-up.

Come to the light o' frightened and confused ones...it's all good.

When we decided to get a pair of these, knowing that the Firestore was still in development and there was no native 24p in FCP, and then having broken clips, I remember saying that it was February and the word around HD100 land was that these things would be addressed by March/April, so I had a little faith.

So here we are, the first day of spring and for the most part the only thing missing from the equation is native 24p, and that's an Apple issue that I'm also confident will be resolved soon. So I feel pretty good about the HD transition.

How many more people will ask "how long will it take" when JVC states clearly and precisely how long it will take and how it needs to be shipped and how they will return it?

C'mon guys...it's your camera, do your job and do your homework...everything you need to know JVC told you yesterday. You'll never be a great film maker if you can't read the freakin instructions <g>.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 12:00 PM   #32
Trustee

NO PAL on GY-HD100UA

Yes, it's right. Now PAL on the HD-100UA. Seems there is a gray market the other way (from the states to EU) because the 100U (non A) is a "world" camera capable of every frame rate known to broadcasting with digital IO. In EU that's a NO NO (so I hear).

Further notes:

Also I hear the HD-100 will be setup at NAB in "studio configuration" with HD-SDI. No word on Len's but we'll see what's up at NAB. Also maybe the GY-HD7000 will make it's appearance with ProHDXE. We'll see....
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 12:16 PM   #33
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen L. Noe
Also I hear the HD-100 will be setup at NAB in "studio configuration" with HD-SDI.
It was set up at NAB last year with the tape drive replaced by a cable fed to a live truck. It was my impression however that the camera had to be ordered in this configuration and that you couldn't swap out the tape mech with the SDI unit yourself.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 12:50 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Hd-sdi

I also got the information from the local JVC dealer. It will have a HD-SDI conf. that will be available as an extra attachment. He did not know about the price issue, but he said that it will be relatively cheap. Wait and see.
Panos B
Panos Bournias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 02:35 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Okay, so I had my camera shipped out. I've never had the experience of shipping something this expensive before, is it typical for you to be treated like you're trying to commit postal fraud?

I don't have a UPS or Fed-Ex nearby so I went to the postal office, if they could insure the camera up to at least $5000 (I paid $5200 for it) I would use them. When I asked how much they could insure a package for they said $5000, "That's what I need."

Well, they went through the typical motions asking me questions about it, which I answered, but they were asked in a very inquisitive, "you're lying" tone. I then added on hoping to calm the situation, "It's a professional video camera." and got the "Yeah, right." look.

They told me they couldn't insure it unless it was packaged a certain way and I agreed and they asked if I had the receipt, "Yeah.", "Well, you're going to have to prove how much it cost if you want to get anything for it."

Nice. Anyway, I think I was treated this way more for my age than anything. I'm 22 now, but look younger. I was management at my last job by 20, and a GM at 21 and have had to deal with people who claimed I wasn't the manager. It's frustrating having to deal with people who doubt your sincerity due to your age or how you look, especially when it's been for a couple of years. Sorry to kvetch, I know this was off-topic for the thread.
Timothy McLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 03:40 PM   #36
Major Player

Embrace your youth my friend. At least they didn't look at you like you were a crazy old man. <g>.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 03:47 PM   #37
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogo Athouguia
Marc, where are you sending your camera to? Is JVC upgrading the firmware here in Europe?
I brought my camera in today.
They told me they will upgrade the camera to the same firmware/hardware as the current production units produced. It looks like I will get the same update as described on the official US statement yes.

The update will include the stuff Tim described before:
- Latest firmware for the firewire compatibility.
- A fix for the mode changing problem. I saw the kit. They will make a modification on the electronic circuit with two SMD resistors and two little wires to improve the circuit which introduces the mode changing problem on some units like mine. The technician said it was not related to a specific range of serial numbers. That's why it took some time before JVC discovered what was going on. Turns out until now, I'm the only one in Belgium who reported JVC the mode changing problem. Lucky me...
- For the minor SSE that pops-up now and then, he will re-calibrate my camera after the firmware update. He promised me to double check it.

More news when I pickup the camera Friday.
Marc Colemont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 03:51 PM   #38
Wrangler

Wow Marc.

That's great news for the E models. Hopefully JVC Europe will start an official update program soon as well.
Old March 21st, 2006, 03:53 PM   #39
Wrangler

Quote:
Yes, it's right. Now PAL on the HD-100UA. Seems there is a gray market the other way (from the states to EU) because the 100U (non A) is a "world" camera capable of every frame rate known to broadcasting with digital IO. In EU that's a NO NO (so I hear).
Stephen, maybe you misread the FAQ. It says no PAL on the "U" models, just as before. Nothing has changed. Likewise the "E" models do not have NTSC.

576P60 is available on all models worldwide, but is not considered PAL. The same goes for 480P60, which is not NTSC.
Old March 21st, 2006, 04:08 PM   #40
Major Player

Note for Albert:
They did write down my serial number without asking, and gave me a printed copy of the Service Report sheet including the serial number, which I need to bring with me again when I pick up the camera.
So they do make sure that me, myself and I will get my OWN camera back.
Marc Colemont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 04:31 PM   #41
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
Stephen, maybe you misread the FAQ. It says no PAL on the "U" models, just as before. Nothing has changed. Likewise the "E" models do not have NTSC.

576P60 is available on all models worldwide, but is not considered PAL. The same goes for 480P60, which is not NTSC.
On your camera you do not have 25P modes? I do. Or am I mixing things up? Now I'll have to call and find out if they mean in DV mode or HDV. They must be talking about the interlace modes..
Old March 21st, 2006, 04:37 PM   #42
Regular Crew

Hd 101

Hi everyone,

I have just recieved my HD101 back from JVC, here in New Zealand, with the firmware update. The process took a little over a week. I have not tested the camera yet but will keep you posted when I do.

Regards
Sam
Sam Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 04:48 PM   #43
Wrangler

Quote:
On your camera you do not have 25P modes? I do. Or am I mixing things up? Now I'll have to call and find out if they mean in DV mode or HDV. They must be talking about the interlace modes..
All the cameras have 720P25, but that isn't PAL, it's just HD at 25P. All cameras also have 720P24 and 720P30. Once again, just HD.

The DV modes are where things are different. The E models can record DV PAL at 50i (true PAL) or DV 25P (Progressive scan recorded to standard PAL on DV tape in DV mode.)
The U models can record DV NTSC at 60i (true NTSC) or DV24P (2:3 or 2:3:3:2) NTSC 30P is not available on any HD100/101.
Old March 21st, 2006, 05:08 PM   #44
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
All the cameras have 720P25, but that isn't PAL, it's just HD at 25P. All cameras also have 720P24 and 720P30. Once again, just HD.

The DV modes are where things are different. The E models can record DV PAL at 50i (true PAL) or DV 25P (Progressive scan recorded to standard PAL on DV tape in DV mode.)
The U models can record DV NTSC at 60i (true NTSC) or DV24P (2:3 or 2:3:3:2) NTSC 30P is not available on any HD100/101.
Yes, yes, I see that now. Why they would point that out specifically, I'd like to know.
Old March 21st, 2006, 05:15 PM   #45
Major Player

They are just trying to anticipate questions from guys like you...:-)

I have my own FAQ:
-is it going to shoot 1080i?
-is it going to record DVCOPRO HD and HDCAM?
-is it going to cook my breakfast and wash the dishes?

Just kidding... as long as they improve SSE, 'mode changing' and some of the other issues and bugs, I am one happy camper.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems