DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   FREE upgrade for U.S. owners to "A" Version (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/63294-free-upgrade-u-s-owners-version.html)

Tim Dashwood March 21st, 2006 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jiri Bakala
as long as they improve SSE, 'mode changing' and some of the other issues and bugs, I am one happy camper.

Mode Changing - YES.
SSE - that's a calibration issue, and who knows, maybe they QC it for you while it is there?

I'm interested in "undocumented" improvements in the update. For example, I would love if they added something that has been on the top of my wishlist for months: TC output to external out (component and/or composite.)
I would also love an option for VF and LCD on at the same time. I don't care if it draws more juice... It would just be nice in many situations.
A viewfinder "flop" feature would also be great for those using homebuilt micro35 adapters.

Jiri Bakala March 21st, 2006 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
...For example, something that has been on the top of my wishlist for months is TC output to external out (component and/or composite)...

I hope they read our wishlist here...:-)

Marc Colemont March 21st, 2006 06:34 PM

Look at camera's before the HD-100 was made. It's not the only camera which received an update after beeing in production for a while. If all the issues are solved nobody will talk about it in year from now.

It's my first experience with JVC. And I must say it is far better from what I have experienced with Sony. I don't want to start bitching at Sony, but they made me pay 300 Euro a few years ago just to look at a possible problem on a camera. Without even repairing it. That I found rediculus. So I bought the service manual, instead of buying an extra estimated 800 dollar repair bill for a PCB replacement. Apparently during usage of a walky-talky (during a production close to the camera) caused the LANC input circuit to be damaged by the strong RF signal. The LANC cable must have worked as an antenna for the RF signal. I replaced the damaged FET of 1.28 dollar and added an extra protection circuit inside the camera.
Sony didn't provide a free 'A' update...

Diogo Athouguia March 21st, 2006 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
Wow Marc.

That's great news for the E models. Hopefully JVC Europe will start an official update program soon as well.

I hope so. I sent an e-mail to JVC Europe asking them about it, however I couldn't find the technical support contact and sent it to the sales department.

Marc Colemont March 21st, 2006 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diogo Athouguia
I hope so. I sent an e-mail to JVC Europe asking them about it, however I couldn't find the technical support contact and sent it to the sales department.

On the proHD site you can find the info for your country.
http://www.jvcpro.co.uk/global.html

Cheers

Diogo Athouguia March 22nd, 2006 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc Colemont
On the proHD site you can find the info for your country.
http://www.jvcpro.co.uk/global.html

Cheers

Thanks Marc, the JVC service for Portugal is located in Spain and it doesn't have an email adress. I received today a reply from JVC UK. They say that there is and there will be no such thing in Europe as an A model, however if I need an upgrade for the info of the A/B batteries or for the DR-HD100 I can send the camera to my dealer to perform the upgrade. So, for European costumers, just contact your dealers.

Albert Henson March 22nd, 2006 02:53 PM

While most of us will be approaching JVC for upgrades to our current hd100's. We should press the question of when or if a lens upgrade will me made available. One JVC tech told my dealer that a lens with better light handling capabilities would reduce and perhaps elimate the SSE, though the problem is still inherantly a hardware issue. Given this, I think it is a good time for JVC to hear us out regarding our wish lists, and have them actually hear us loud and clear what can be done to improve their product. If we speak up and nothing is done, no suprises, however if we speak up and they exhange our crappy stock lens then you'll be thanking me later for encouraging you to speak up. Throughout the whole ordeal of the hd100's setbacks, many have been in my opinion overly dosile, and has allowed JVC to walk all over the consumer. They have made efforts to appease complaints, but too little too late in my opinon. I knew a recall like this was inevitable, and for you naysayers who justified the disregard for us as professionals, I hate to say it but....nah forget it, I'm above making juvenile comments like "I told you so." Or maybe not.

Diogo Athouguia March 22nd, 2006 03:04 PM

The lens is what you pay for, low quality for low price. Better lens, batteries, mic and VF would make this camera more expensive, out of the price range where JVC whants to keep it. I'd also like it to have better lens and mic, but at least I was able to afford it.

Nate Weaver March 22nd, 2006 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Albert Henson
One JVC tech told my dealer that a lens with better light handling capabilities

Albert, the lens is as fast as practical. Lenses faster than 1.4 are rare, expensive, and very heavy as they have a lot of large elements in them.

Making it faster than 1.4 would make it more expensive on a exponential scale.

Jim Giberti March 22nd, 2006 03:52 PM

Quote:

Throughout the whole ordeal of the hd100's setbacks, many have been in my opinion overly dosile, and has allowed JVC to walk all over the consumer. They have made efforts to appease complaints, but too little too late in my opinon. I knew a recall like this was inevitable, and for you naysayers who justified the disregard for us as professionals, I hate to say it but....nah forget it, I'm above making juvenile comments like "I told you so." Or maybe not.

Albert, while you may see using the HD100 as an "ordeal", I think most of the professionals here see it much differently. Terms like "naysayers" and "docile" and frankly your entire post make no sense. There's been a very active and constructive dialogue here since the camera was introduced. The level of professionalism and the quality of input has been exemplary which is also a credit to the way Chris manages the site.

Finger pointing and self-congratulations are unnecessary and rumours about upgraded lenses might eliminate SSE don't add to the debate either. If you're truly interested in JVC listening to your concerns, you might try toning down your rhetoric. You've certainy lost my interest because of it.

Chris Hurd March 22nd, 2006 07:43 PM

Quote:

I knew a recall like this was inevitable.

Geez... that does it. There has been no recall. There is a tremendous difference between a product recall and a product upgrade. I'm not sure whether your problem is that you simply can't comprehend what that difference is, or whether you're just axe grinding like there's no tomorrow. Either way, I've had it with your rhetoric. Post that garbage somewhere else... I'm really tired of that kind of tone. It's entirely inappropriate here. As far as the lens goes, Nate and Diogo said it best.

Kudos to Jim for keeping cooler than I could. Thanks guys,

John Mitchell March 22nd, 2006 11:51 PM

I have received an official response from JVC_Hagemeyer the Australian distributors.

To paraphrase (because it was quite long and specific), they won't be doing the upgrade due to "handling logistics and man hours" - in essence they will only fix if it's broke. But they are not going to time restrict it.

So if you are experiencing the mode changing problem (which incidentally isn't mentioned in the upgrade notice) they will fix that. If you bought an DR-HD100 or and Anton BAuer battery mount from an authorised Australian or NZ dealer they will upgrade your firmware.

What do others think of this - I think it's a reasonable compromise, if not as good as the US experience. Or should the pressure be put on them to match the US upgrade offer?

Chris Hurd March 23rd, 2006 12:04 AM

I think "handling logistics" says it best. You can drive a delivery truck over most of North America, but not over most of Oceania. You need a big, fast boat for that. Much more expensive than a truck.

John Mitchell March 23rd, 2006 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
I think "handling logistics" says it best. You can drive a delivery truck over most of North America, but not over most of Oceania. You need a big, fast boat for that. Much more expensive than a truck.

This is Australia and New Zealand only - separate dealer offices in each country. Perhaps you were referring to Tasmania?

Enzo Giobbé March 23rd, 2006 12:59 PM

No "recall", just JVC's normal firmware updates.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Geez... that does it. There has been no recall. There is a tremendous difference between a product recall and a product upgrade.

Hi Chris, long time no post. Too many irons in the fire, sorry :)

You are 100% correct. To call the current firmware update to the HD-100 a "recall" is to not understand the basic differences in the design philosophy of JVC versus other camera manufactures.

JVC pro series cameras are all firmware (software) driven (a good thing), as the camera can be easily updated and most issues resolved by simply updating the OS on the camera.

It was the same approach they adopted for the GY-DV500/5000 series, so it's just "business as usual" for JVC and the way they normally operate (the DV-500 had several firmware updates over it's lifetime).

This JVC design philosophy is what endures their cameras to the broadcast industry, and will (hopefully) eventually be followed by all the other major camera manufactures as well.

As I free up some time, I will post our experiences with deciding on a new "B" cam for broadcast purposes. We did about 50 hours each of actual "in the field" testing with the new generation small cams (Panasonic AG-HVX200, Canon XL H1, JVC GY-HD100, and Sony HVR-Z1). All the cameras were great, and for the price, give really solid performance. but for our use, the HD-100 was a little bit "greater" than the others.

We used about a half a dozen HD-100 cameras at the AMPAS (Oscar) awards early this month as "floaters" (quick run backups to our red carpet DigiBeta units). Two of the HD-100 cams were mounted on Steadicam "Flyer" rigs. The Steadicam rigs worked great and were a fast working/handling combo. Lack of a good follow focus was the only problem, but one we will eventually solve.

This is the rig we have tentatively standardized on: http://www.tv-wire.com/hd100.html

More to follow...