FREE upgrade for U.S. owners to "A" Version - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old March 23rd, 2006, 02:46 PM   #61
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen L. Noe
Started the process on a camera today. It's Monday. Let's see how quickly this thing gets done...
Progress report.

Camera was recieved by JVC today and it's now in the system. I sent the camera out on Monday from the Chicago area (USPS Priority w/insurance) and they've input it into the system today. I also ordered the confirmation on when the camera was recieved from the USPS, however I have not received the confirmation yet.

BTW: When they recieve your camera they link you to an "accessory" page which offers a $2200 lens option. Is that the stock lens??? Click here The lens part number is LW30610-001B.

PS I haven't got a clue how the site sometimes double post messages. Administratively, is there any way to delete your own post?
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 04:03 PM   #62
Major Player

Another progress update:

Took my camera in this Monday and was able to pick it up today. It has the "A" sticker under the serial number. I have the core sitting at work, so I haven't been able to check out anything with it, but I'll run through it tonight.
Old March 23rd, 2006, 04:14 PM   #63
Major Player

Quote:
Progress report.

BTW: When they recieve your camera they link you to an "accessory" page which offers a $2200 lens option. Is that the stock lens??? Click here The lens part number is LW30610-001B.

Well if it's the 13x wide angle they're gonna sell a ton of them <g>.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 04:35 PM   #64
Major Player

Hmm. They've had my camera since last Friday. It still just says "received". What's up with that?
Warren Shultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 06:28 PM   #65
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Giberti
Well if it's the 13x wide angle they're gonna sell a ton of them.
No specs...how do you tell what lens it is?
Old March 23rd, 2006, 10:30 PM   #66
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo Giobbé
This is the rig we have tentatively standardized on: http://www.tv-wire.com/hd100.html
Enzo, how did you attach the Sennheiser receiver to the bracket? Any chance that you could upload a detailed photo? I have the IDX system and Sennheiser ew100, which is not the same but the IDX bracket also has threaded holes that could work for attaching the wireless receiver.

Overall it looks great! Really nicely equipped unit. What rain covers are you using? Thanks.
Old March 24th, 2006, 12:24 AM   #67
Major Player

Jiri, the AB battery adapter plate has room on the inside unlike the IDX adapter. I noticed it after using the AB configuration on our previous HD100 and then just yesterday receiving our IDX kit for this new camera. I like that extra space on the AB... but you can't argue with the price of the IDX/JVC promotion either. ;)

If you figure out a good solution for the EW100 let me know, we have a few Senneiser kits as well. If nothing is out there my brother can CnC a few custom adapter plates for this, but it would take a few orders for him to bother with it.

Oh... and I like how he used the plastic piece that you remove to install the adapter plate, ours is sitting on my desk just begging to be lost forever. Enzo has the right idea, put that little bugger to work.
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 09:03 AM   #68
Trustee

Any word from of the "A" owners on whether any of our "wishlist" items are in the revision? Things like more scene files available on the SD card and LCD/Viewfinder displaying at the same time?
Old March 25th, 2006, 10:36 AM   #69
Major Player

Quote:
Any word from of the "A" owners on whether any of our "wishlist" items are in the revision? Things like more scene files available on the SD card and LCD/Viewfinder displaying at the same time?
Sorry Stephen. I think it's a no on both. Just checked my camera for the simultaneous vf/LCD and it's a no on that. When I checked my scene files on Friday, I didn't notice anymore than before. The only thing that seems different is the audio level meters on the vf/lcd. Don't remember seeing that before.
Old March 25th, 2006, 10:46 AM   #70
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath Vinyard
The only thing that seems different is the audio level meters on the vf/lcd. Don't remember seeing that before.
They were always available...it's one of the options in the LCD/VF menu.
Old March 25th, 2006, 12:28 PM   #71
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Bakala
Enzo, how did you attach the Sennheiser receiver to the bracket? Any chance that you could upload a detailed photo? I have the IDX system and Sennheiser ew100, which is not the same but the IDX bracket also has threaded holes that could work for attaching the wireless receiver.

Overall it looks great! Really nicely equipped unit. What rain covers are you using? Thanks.
Jiri, will do as soon as I get back from Vancouver (I am wearing my film DP hat right now).

We also have some Sennheiser EW500s (same form factor as the EW100), they work equally as well in the spot Anton so thoughtfully provided. I also have a early production unit of the ABWMK-HD100 clip on bracket, but it's really made for the DR-HD100/Firestore drives. Adds too much bulk for just a wireless receiver. The only IDX equipped unit we have is in Atlanta so I can't advise you on that combo.

Anybody thinking of doing this with a non-metal body receiver should be aware that there is a RF leak from the components plug section of the HD-100 that may interfere with your receiver. We only use metal bodied Senns so it's not a problem, but I did kill the leak by applying heavy plastic covered aluminum tape (as used by body shops) cut to fit to the inside of the plastic covers as an added precaution. Every ENG cam I have ever had has some RF leakage, and some of the prosumer models have enough to come under FCC control, so let's not mention recall :)

We are using the PortaBrace QS-ME/soft lens cap raincover combo modified with a few extra Velcro'd cutouts, as well as an added piece to the rear section to accommodate the Anton HyTRON 50/Dionic 90 form factor -- with a soft neoprene gasket for the antenna. Works with both the stock lens or the 13x3.5mm up.

I'm trying to talk PortaBrace into making a run of HD-100/Anton equipped "Shoulder Case" cam covers for us (with the built in rain cover). No luck so far. They are advising us that the cam is too small: "Shoulder cases for these tiny cameras begin to look like Swiss cheese once you allow for all the switches, etc."
Old March 25th, 2006, 12:43 PM   #72
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Bakala

Completely OT:

I have the same combo with the ew100 and use the hot shoe mount for the wireless reciever, however, mounting to the IDX bracket would be better so that a camera light could take it's place on the hot shoe. BTW, I ended up getting Cool-Lux L3000's because the light pattern is perfect for HD. It is D-tap and AC (EU and USA). The only other solution (I've figured) for mounting the ew100 and keeping the hot shoe free is velcro to the endura 7s itself.

Any other ideas
Old March 25th, 2006, 01:21 PM   #73
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Patton
Jiri, the AB battery adapter plate has room on the inside unlike the IDX adapter. I noticed it after using the AB configuration on our previous HD100 and then just yesterday receiving our IDX kit for this new camera. I like that extra space on the AB... but you can't argue with the price of the IDX/JVC promotion either. ;)

If you figure out a good solution for the EW100 let me know, we have a few Senneiser kits as well. If nothing is out there my brother can CnC a few custom adapter plates for this, but it would take a few orders for him to bother with it.

Oh... and I like how he used the plastic piece that you remove to install the adapter plate, ours is sitting on my desk just begging to be lost forever. Enzo has the right idea, put that little bugger to work.
Daniel, you have a VERY sharp eye :)

The Senn receivers fit ALMOST perfect in the spot not occupied by the Anton HyTRON 50/Dionic 90 form factor batteries (any other Anton unit makes the camera too back heavy -- the camera will balance perfectly on your shoulder with the stock lens/Dionic 90 or the 13x3.5/HyTRON 50 combo).

The receivers are mounted securely to the bracket (not the battery!) with Velcro (on the back side only), but there is just a tiny bit of side to side play, so in looking for a slightly angled bracket in my spare parts bin, I came across a bunch of HD-100 stock battery top side brackets, hmmmmm... So I just added a vinyl bumper pad to it, screwed it into the (thoughtfully) provided bottom screw tap, and ended up with a very snug and 100% secure fit.

Necessity is always the mother of invention in this business, and as any working DP can attest to, leads to some great shots (and cam mods).

Mounting the Ultralight 2 so it would never, ever swivel was (as usual) not such an easy fix. Every broadcast outlet I know has had to apply their own fix to this continuing problem, no matter what ENG cam they are using. Nothing like pulling up the cam for a quick red carpet interview only to have the light facing the operator instead of the talent. On that subject, it would be really nice (but I don't think it's doable without adding extra cost to the camera) for the HD-100 to have a camera run circuit tied into the Anton battery tap. It's pretty much an industry standard.

Last edited by Enzo Giobbé; March 25th, 2006 at 03:50 PM.
Enzo Giobbé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 01:45 PM   #74
Regular Crew

attaching wireless receivers

Note: This is in response to Stephen Noe's last post on this thread, though it really probably should be it's own thread since there's little relation to the "upgrade" title of the thread.

I do documentary shooting, usually without a soundman. What I do is have two Lectrosonics UCR 100s mounted to the hotshoe - The first velcroed (Sp?) to a Sennheiser adapter plate, and the second velcroed on top of the first. Both run to the back of the camera into an XLRBP3 Studio 1 passive mixer which is velcroed to the back of my Dionic 90. The mixer runs into one audio channel of the JVC, and the camera mike Sennheiser K6 goes to the other audio channel. Although I don't usually use a camera light, I do have an adapter from Markertek ("Hot shoe Extension" RYC-037303 - $25) that allows both the camera light and the Sennheiser adapter to fit on the JVC shoe.
Tom Valens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 03:39 PM   #75
Regular Crew

Feature upgrade as "recall", huh? (long)

OK, to get back on topic, I did a Google this morning on the HD-100 and was amazed to see how much buzz there is on the HD-100 "recall". I am sure that JVC is pretty distressed at having a positive feature of their cameras (a simple upgrade path designed in via firmware patches) named a recall instead of the feature upgrade it is.

I'm not a great overall fan of JVC (my past experiences have been truly 1st class professional cams with no better than bottom rung prosumer support), and no, we don't get free or reduced price cameras from them, but I have to say that from an engineering standpoint, the HD-100 is indeed a standout. This was confirmed by Canon Optical in Japan when I was inquiring about any possible 1/3" HD lenses they had in the works. The head design engineer there said he was pretty sure that JVC was not making much if any profit on the camera, and that they (Canon) probably couldn't produce it at that end user price. Hahaha, he was definitely an admirer.

Sure it has some problems, but I don't know of any video cam that doesn't, and that includes our $50K (without lens or accessories) Sony DVW-790WS units.

Yes the lens breathes a bit on focus rack, but so do almost all under $20K ENG lenses. The more expensive ($20 - $40K) lenses have a cammed floater optical block that adjusts for (moves with) the movement of the focus block group to keep the image size constant. Easy to design and relativily cheap to add to a built in non-removable lens, too expensive and weight adding to design into a lower price interchangeable lens designed for a light-in-weight cam. Also, no HD lenses we use (including our 2/3" & 1/2" units) are without some degree of CA. Seems to be the nature of the beast at the current stage of HD lens development. The stock HD-100 lens is about average in this regard.

SSE seems to be another big buzz word. Out of the dozen or so HD-100 units we have, only one has a slight case of SSE (being calibrated at JVC right now -- and when I dropped it off, the tech there was very courteous, friendly, and well informed, so I may have to reassess my future opinion of their tech support philosophy). None of our other units have the problem at all.

JVC had to go all out to design a camera with full native resolution chips, and the heat a full on one piece CCD block would have generated was a problem they overcame by splitting the block. I think it's a pretty amazing design feat, not a defect. The SSE phenomenon (in non well calibrated cameras) is just a trade-off to the excellent image/price point you get. They could have designed a built in fix for it by adding a continuing self adjusting balancing circuit, but not at the price point the camera is selling at. Nine of our cams are out on loan right now to CNN and Fox News crews, and no one I have talked to has complained about any SSE problems or zoom shift to me.

In the future, I hope that JVC makes the upgrade path a self-install end user feature. It's very easy to do via the SD card and the top level service menu, but I can also see why they wouldn't want to. The engineering time that goes into issuing an upgrade is worth something. It's unreasonable to expect JVC or any other camera manufacturer to keep adding features to an already purchased product without some financial compensation or incentive to do so.

Anyway, when I get our first camera back I will note the pre vs. post upgrade differences here. All our HD-100s will eventually go in for the "A" upgrade but it's mainly for the addition of the Anton Bauer "real time" display in the VF we are used to (which, as far as I can determine, no camera without the upgrade was able to do). There are also some hidden menu tweaks to the Anton real time display settings that Anton tech shared with me. I will ask Anton if it is OK to post them public.

And, OT again for a sec, has anybody else noticed that most of the high end 1080i capable HDTV (plasma and LCD) set instructions recommend running their displays in 720p mode?

Last edited by Enzo Giobbé; March 25th, 2006 at 06:51 PM.
Enzo Giobbé is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems