DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   FREE upgrade for U.S. owners to "A" Version (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/63294-free-upgrade-u-s-owners-version.html)

Steven Thomas March 31st, 2006 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen L. Noe
end of story....

Well, the story is not over yet Stephen :)
Let us know how it works.

Scott Jaco April 1st, 2006 12:57 PM

I just got the upgrade.

I'm very lucky to live in Los Angeles. Just went to JVC in Cypress and they had my camera back to me in 48hrs with the "A" upgrade. I'd be interested in knowing what exactly the upgrade does for me.

Manny Rodriguez April 3rd, 2006 06:34 PM

JUST TOOK IN MY CAMERA THIS MORNING, THEY ARE ALSO ACCEPTING THE BR-HD50 for the upgrade aswell... I'LL KEEP YOU GUYS POSTED

Jiri Bakala April 3rd, 2006 06:59 PM

Anything official regarding the 'upgrade' of the deck? Or just a rumor? What issues are allegedly improved/upgraded?

Manny Rodriguez April 4th, 2006 12:37 PM

Hey That Was Fast, Just Got A Call To Pick Up My Hd100, That's Fast Service...

Tim Baker April 4th, 2006 07:24 PM

Possibly a stupid question...

Am I screwed if I don't have my original box? I have very limited space and actually have my office in my garage to let you know how little space I have so keeping boxes around is not much of an option.

Can just package it really well to send it in?

Hopefully yours,

Tim

Jiri Bakala April 4th, 2006 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Baker
Can just package it really well to send it in?

Yes, we did that and it came back in the same buble plastic but a bigger box with styrofoam bits.

Tim Baker April 4th, 2006 09:12 PM

Sheeeewwww

Thank goodness...I was hoping that was the case.

By the by...why was I not sent a direct email by JVC? I have a registered HD100 and actually had one of the first ones sold in Florida.

I have had incredible luck with it and have seen none of the usual problems reported by others, but I would question JVC's attempt at customer service by not directly notifying us about this.

I just happened to have some time on my hands today and figured I would check out the forum since I had not been on in months and just happened to find this thread.

Anyone else find this unusual that they did not promote this to us registered purchasers?

Carl Hicks April 4th, 2006 10:41 PM

Hi Tim,

With over 12,000 units sold, a personal notification attempt would be a daunting task.

We posted full information on our website a couple of weeks ago:

http://pro.jvc.com/pro/special/HD100...00upgrade.html

We also asked our resellers to inform their customers.

With those efforts, and with the word spreading through great forums like DVInfo.net, we hope to get the word out to every owner.

Regards, Carl

Chris Hurd April 4th, 2006 10:45 PM

Thanks, Carl -- and I agree wholeheartedly. It's the dealers who should be taking the time and effort to notify their customers. In an ideal situation, there should be a continuous relationship between the video camera customer and the dealer. The customer benefits from notifications and upgrades, etc. such as this one, and the dealer benefits from repeat business with that customer.

Tim Dashwood April 4th, 2006 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl Hicks
With over 12,000 units sold, a personal notification attempt would be a daunting task.

Wow Carl. That's an amazing number. U.S. only or worldwide?
Either way, I would call that an overwhelming success for a professional division camera.

Stephen L. Noe April 4th, 2006 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
Wow Carl. That's an amazing number. U.S. only or worldwide?
Either way, I would call that an overwhelming success for a professional division camera.

Let's see, 12,000 x $5000 = $60,000,000 G.P.

I'd say ProHD(XE) is here to stay with those kind of numbers....

Joel Aaron April 5th, 2006 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen L. Noe
Let's see, 12,000 x $5000 = $60,000,000 G.P.

I'd say ProHD(XE) is here to stay with those kind of numbers....

And Final Cut doesn't support ProHD 24p yet?

I wonder how many HVX-200's, XL-H1's, Sony ZR1's have been sold.

Daniel Weber April 5th, 2006 02:04 PM

I have heard that Sony has sold over 40,000 Z1's. That doesn't include the FX1 which they did well with also.

Dan Weber

Enzo Giobbé April 11th, 2006 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enzo Giobbé
Jiri, will do as soon as I get back from Vancouver (I am wearing my film DP hat right now).

Sorry for the delay (I have my video DP hat back on - historical note, at one time my union had a "DPE" designation for "Director of Photography Electronic" as they were bringing IATSE TV lighting directors into the DP category. DPEs were not on the Producers Roster for film work - how times have changed!).

Here is a link to the detailed photos of how to install a wireless mic onto the Anton Bauer QR-JVC 7/14 HDV mount (and maybe the IDX as well): http://enzogiobbe.com/hd100_mic.html

There is also a screen shot of the "Real Time" display now available on the updated "A" model units.

So far, the "A" upgrade has worked for us, the only down side is that when the operator switches on the camera light (AB UL2 / 20W bulb) the viewfinder goes black for a second. This did not happen before the cameras were upgraded. I though it might be an issue with the light cord running by the VF cord/plug (and we have a core filter installed at the plug end), but powering it from a non mounted light (cord nowhere near the VF cord/plug) does the same thing.

I will give a more detailed report on our experiences in choosing a new "B" cam in a new thread, including my recent trip to Japan and some of the new goodies I got to play with.