DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   FREE upgrade for U.S. owners to "A" Version (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/63294-free-upgrade-u-s-owners-version.html)

Mel Namnama May 11th, 2006 08:43 PM

Hey Tom,
I received word from Anton Bauer that the voltage reading is directly from the battery, before the step down conversion to 7.2 volts and that it is normal to show 14-16 volts.

Carl Martin May 22nd, 2006 05:55 PM

"A" Update

Any info on the "A" upgrade? For those of you who have had it done, are you pleased with the results?

Thanks

Tom Chaney May 22nd, 2006 06:40 PM

Hi Carl,

I had the update done, no problems at all.

I even had a small crack in the viewfinder and they replaced it.

I was also shocked at how quickly I had it back.

They turned it around the same day.

Tom Chaney

Carl Martin May 23rd, 2006 06:04 AM

Hi Tom,
Thanks. DId you inform them of the crack, or did they just fix it?

Carl

Carl Martin May 24th, 2006 06:13 PM

I am sending my camera in for the upgrade tomorrow. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Carl Martin May 31st, 2006 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl Martin
I am sending my camera in for the upgrade tomorrow. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Well, yesterday my camera was dispached and is now on it's way. I was just wondering what JVC considers to be expedited shipping?? That is what it states on the update page, and according to the UPS ground TR# it will not reach me until 6/5. Also when I shipped it to them, the insurance I got $6000.00 worth, the shipper said they cannot ship it ground for this amount of insurance, because it gets bounced around to much with ground shipping, I know this to be true because I onced worked for UPS, and packages were for sure thrown around quite a bit. This leads me to believe that JVC did not insure the camera for what it is worth, because it will only ship ground with the insurance being under $5000.00.

Anyway, any thoughts?

Lee Zurligen June 2nd, 2006 06:44 PM

Problems after upgrade

We have two HD100s that we purchased 3 months ago. We sent one away for the upgrade about a month ago. We got it back about a week ago. The shipping was only 3 days each way by UPS, so they had the camera for about 2 weeks. It was "Waiting Parts" for most of that time. They had to replace the main circuit board. When I got the first camera back, I sent the other one.

Today was the first chance I had to really test the upgraded camera. So far, I've found the following problems:

1. There is no 48v phantom power at all, no matter where you put the switches.
2. When you do a white balance, it gets stuck in Auto White Operation and cycles between being balanced and the previous setting. You have to turn the camera off to make it stop. (Full Auto White works OK.)
3. The camera does not shut off immediately when you turn off the power (even when it's not stuck in Auto White). It says POFF in the viewfinder and the indicator lights on the side stay on for about 15 seconds.

I'm going to send it back, but not until I get the second one back. Has anyone heard of anything like this?

Also, does anyone know what the range of serial numbers is so far? One of ours is 1305xxxx (the one that has been upgraded) and the other is 1503xxxx. That seems odd to me. Also, the warranty card that came with the 1305 says "2 Years," but the other one says "One Year." We got them both from a local dealer, but the 1305's box looked like it had been opened and resealed by JVC.

Carl Hicks June 4th, 2006 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee Zurligen
We have two HD100s that we purchased 3 months ago. We sent one away for the upgrade about a month ago. We got it back about a week ago. The shipping was only 3 days each way by UPS, so they had the camera for about 2 weeks. It was "Waiting Parts" for most of that time. They had to replace the main circuit board. When I got the first camera back, I sent the other one.

Today was the first chance I had to really test the upgraded camera. So far, I've found the following problems:

2. When you do a white balance, it gets stuck in Auto White Operation and cycles between being balanced and the previous setting. You have to turn the camera off to make it stop. (Full Auto White works OK.)
3. The camera does not shut off immediately when you turn off the power (even when it's not stuck in Auto White). It says POFF in the viewfinder and the indicator lights on the side stay on for about 15 seconds.

I'm going to send it back, but not until I get the second one back. Has anyone heard of anything like this?

Also, does anyone know what the range of serial numbers is so far? One of ours is 1305xxxx (the one that has been upgraded) and the other is 1503xxxx. That seems odd to me. Also, the warranty card that came with the 1305 says "2 Years," but the other one says "One Year." We got them both from a local dealer, but the 1305's box looked like it had been opened and resealed by JVC.

Lee, were sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing. Please call our Customer Care Center to arrange for repair when you are ready. 1-800-582-5825, M-F, 9AM to 5PM EST.

Regarding the serial # question: The first three digits are a code that defines the date of manufacture. Because of this, the serial numbers do not always fall in consecutive order as the units are built.

Gary Williams June 5th, 2006 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee Zurligen

Lee why did JVC send the camera back to you with all those problems, didnt the tech even bother to test the camera before sending it back. Let see it cost you what 50-60$ every time you send it back to them not to mention the money it cost you when you dont have it to use. This is what my worry is, JVC sending things back with existing problems. My camera is with them right now I hope to god I dont get it back with the same problems it had when I sent it in.

Gary Williams June 5th, 2006 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl Hicks
Lee, were sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing. Please call our Customer Care Center to arrange for repair when you are ready. 1-800-582-5825, M-F, 9AM to 5PM EST.

Regarding the serial # question: The first three digits are a code that defines the date of manufacture. Because of this, the serial numbers do not always fall in consecutive order as the units are built.

Carl Hicks please make sure the tech working on my camera really checks it out before sending it back to me, I would love nothing better than to report back to this board that my camera is now functioning fine after sending it in to JVC my reciept # is L046714 Thanks I really hope they get it fixed or send me a new one that functions correctly.

Carl Hicks June 5th, 2006 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Williams
Carl Hicks please make sure the tech working on my camera really checks it out before sending it back to me, I would love nothing better than to report back to this board that my camera is now functioning fine after sending it in to JVC my reciept # is L046714 Thanks I really hope they get it fixed or send me a new one that functions correctly.

Hi Gary,

As I have nothing to do with the repairs, I will pass your message on to the appropriate persons.

Regards, Carl

Enzo Giobbé June 5th, 2006 01:08 PM

Workaround

Quote:

Enso, thant for the detailed report. I have forwarded your report to product managers, and I will let you know when I hear something.

Regards, Carl

Ciao Carl,

I have a workaround fix for the VF blackout/Ultralight 2 on situation. Users have to set the "low voltage warning" setting to 12.1 or 12.2V (12.1 works fine for me). This will also allow the use of the JVC AA-P250U AC adapter (which has a pretty constant 12.4V output) with the HD100 and a Anton Bauer SO-XLR plate.

It appears that the low voltage alarm can also trigger the camera shut-off down voltage circuit too early.

Ideally, allowing the user to set the dead camera setting lower than 12V (about 11.5V or so) would be ideal.

On the HD100 Anton Bauer enabled beta test units, you could press user 2 and 3 buttons at same time, scroll to "VTR2, Anton Shut Down", and change the setting to 11.5 volts. At the 11.5V (12V warning) setting, the Anton Bauer battery real time display on the battery almost exactly matched the real time VF display. Maybe they can change it back to those choices in a future firmware update?

Gary Williams June 5th, 2006 07:30 PM

Quote:

Hi Gary,

As I have nothing to do with the repairs, I will pass your message on to the appropriate persons.

Regards, Carl

Thanks Carl much appriciated.

Lee Zurligen June 6th, 2006 03:43 PM

Quote:

I called the number and after waiting on hold (dead silence) for about 10 minutes, a man answered who had seen my previous post. He said that the board was replaced in our first camera because we had sent a note about an audio problem! When I told him that we did not send a note, only the upgrade form, he had no explanation for why they had chosen to replace the board, or why they hadn't discovered the problems before returning the camera. But he is arranging for us to FedEx it to their repair facility in Aurora, Illinois at JVC's expense.

Enzo Giobbé June 8th, 2006 01:24 PM

Fat head

BTW Carl,

I just received a call this morning from a producer over at the local ABC affiliate who is using the HD100 (testing actually) on a reality show. She says that in a two shot, the person on the left side of the frame is distorted (in profile, the person's head is "wider", or at least looks wider, than the person on the right side of the frame).

She asked if this is possible. And I am thinking, possible yes, probable, no. I guess it could be a problem with one of the blocks going awry, Ever hear of anything like that?

They are using the 13x3.5 lens up, but I have the same lens and even with a .8 CO wide adapter in front, I don't notice it "pulling the edges out". May be just an optical illusion.

I will check it out for them tomorrow. Since I recommend the camera, she feels I am obligated to furnish tech support :)

Great promotion on the HD100 / AB-DIONIC battery system package! Is it retroactive? ;))