DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   FREE upgrade for U.S. owners to "A" Version (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/63294-free-upgrade-u-s-owners-version.html)

Stephen L. Noe March 20th, 2006 09:07 AM

FREE upgrade for U.S. owners to "A" Version

Here is the "Official" instructions on the "A" upgrade.

Click here

Have fun and all the best...

PS I'll get more info from the user group meeting tonight (straight from the horses mouth).

Joe Russ March 20th, 2006 09:31 AM

in the faq it says "will i bea ble to record in pal after the upgrade" with an answer of NO. does this mean that 576 50p hdv will be gone or just that they aren't adding other pal hd support?

Steven Thomas March 20th, 2006 09:38 AM

Yes,
I saw this too.
What the heck does this mean?
I can only hope that JVC would not disable
features that were advertised for this camera
in their brochure and manual.

Hopefully, we are reading this wrong.

Barry Green March 20th, 2006 09:48 AM

576/50P is *not* PAL. PAL is an interlaced television signal, and no US version of the HD100 records in PAL.

PAL means 576/50i or 576/25p carried within 50i. It's what the HD100E shoots in. The US version has NTSC but not PAL, the European version has PAL but not NTSC.

The 576/50P is considered an HDV mode, and will almost unquestionably still be present in any HD100A. Both the US and European versions offer both 576/50P and 480/60P, and presumably that will continue to be the case.

Steven Thomas March 20th, 2006 09:54 AM

True, my bad.
Man, I knew I should of drank another cup of coffee

Tim Dashwood March 20th, 2006 10:11 AM

Thanks Stephen.

I changed the title to specify that this upgrade is for "U.S. Owners" at this time, and made it sticky. Let's keep our eyes open for other regions.

Here's the basics of the the upgrade:

- Improved NLE performance (fixes problems with scene breaks in "some" NLEs - I assume they mean FCP)
- Improved Reliability (I assume this means the "Mode changing" and "blue screen" issues in some versions of firmware)
- Run-Time information with Anton Bauer Battery systems (IDX not affected)
- Compatibility with the DR-HD100U Hard drive

If you read the fine print on the form you will see that you only send the body, but you have to pay for shipping/insurance to JVC yourself. JVC pays to send it back to you. You will receive your own camera back - they are simply flashing your firmware.

Turnaround time is 72 Hours.

If you are local in California, JVC recommends you bring your camera in person and wait while it is upgraded. Call 1-800-582-5825 in advance.

Efrain Gomez March 20th, 2006 11:07 AM

what does "improved NLE performance" entail?

So, if i bought my camera last month, should I do this upgrade?

:: efrain ::

Steven Thomas March 20th, 2006 11:19 AM

Well, one important feature for me is the:
- Compatibility with the DR-HD100U Hard drive

Warren Shultz March 20th, 2006 12:10 PM

It just happens my camera arrived there last Friday. I sent it in to check calibration since I had an early model with occasional SSE. I see their form already shows my camera in the system so I'll know shortly how fast it turns around.

Amazing how I kept wanting to reach for the camera this weekend. I miss it terribly!

Stephen L. Noe March 20th, 2006 12:37 PM

Started the process on a camera today. It's Monday. Let's see how quickly this thing gets done...

Jeremey Shelton March 20th, 2006 01:03 PM

How long are you typically without your camera whenever you send it in for firmware upgrades or to recalibrate for SSE?

Warren Shultz March 20th, 2006 01:41 PM

They're claiming 72 hour turn around. I have sent previous JVC DV cameras in
for mods (my 5000) and they had it back to me in a week.

Diogo Athouguia March 20th, 2006 03:10 PM

Does anyone knows if JVC Europe will do the upgrade?

Joe Carney March 20th, 2006 03:11 PM

I'm assuming if I order 2 days from now, the model I receive will be the new "A" version?

Eric Brown March 20th, 2006 04:15 PM

This is bringing me one step closer to buying this camera. JVC is listening to problems and addressing issues.

Timothy McLin March 20th, 2006 04:57 PM

Thanks for the info! I had to go to the dentist and get a tooth pulled today, but I'll have my camera shipped out tomorrow, let's hope this goes fast for everybody!

Heath Vinyard March 20th, 2006 05:40 PM

Just dropped mine off in Cypress. We'll see what happens. I was a little nervous because the person that took it marked the camera in "Fair" condition (no hours on the tape drive and 2 hours on the fan) and asked me "What upgrade?" Oh boy...

Gary McClurg March 20th, 2006 05:54 PM

Just wondering how long will it take to get your camera back...

Heath Vinyard March 20th, 2006 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary McClurg
Just wondering how long will it take to get your camera back...

They're pushing for 72 hour turnaround, but they won't let you wait for the camera if you take it up there. I had to leave mine.

Albert Henson March 20th, 2006 07:04 PM

Hate to be the stick in the mud for this. But then again I'm not from the U.S. They are identifying these with stickers. stickers? Are you kidding? There should be better verification that owners are receiving a "new" camera, not a refurbished unit. There were hundreds and hundreds of units returned and, many of those I expect will be replacement units for the 100's. I don't even live in the US but I feel customers will be mislead. Hopefully not. But the sticker is not a good sign. Owners, please leave an identifiable mark etched on the bottom of your camera so we can tell if the returns going back to the factory are being eventually returned to the streets.

Jiri Bakala March 20th, 2006 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Albert Henson
Hate to be the stick in the mud for this. But then again I'm not from the U.S. They are identifying these with stickers. stickers? Are you kidding? There should be better verification that owners are receiving a "new" camera, not a refurbished unit. There were hundreds and hundreds of units returned and, many of those I expect will be replacement units for the 100's. I don't even live in the US but I feel customers will be mislead. Hopefully not. But the sticker is not a good sign. Owners, please leave an identifiable mark etched on the bottom of your camera so we can tell if the returns going back to the factory are being eventually returned to the streets.

Every camera has a serial number, just write it down and you'll be fine. No need to etch anything on the camera...:-)

Albert Henson March 20th, 2006 10:11 PM

Actually - it's too hard to track numbers amongst one another globally. It would be best if there was something to indicate that the camera was indeed used. canada's cameras will find their way into the states, and vice versa. There is no way for us to verify cameras by serial numbers, unless someone owned dozens and returned them. Also the drum hours can be reset by jvc, I'm simply getting at finding ways to ensure that owners are getting a fair exchange. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me, fool me three times and jvc will be facing numerous hd100 owners who will finally see the way they have been treated as consumers.

Make sure the camera has a subtle blemish to help ensure we are treated fairly.

Warren Shultz March 20th, 2006 10:48 PM

Albert, surely you jest! You keep implying a massive JVC conspiracy that no one is buying into.

Mark me in the column of people who believe JVC is putting forth a great effort and isn't seeking to defraud its customer base.

Marc Colemont March 21st, 2006 02:39 AM

Albert, you are just guessing yourself, that's not fair.
By the way, you can even see a copy of the serial number on the original box.
So why are you so sure they will not give back your camera?
And what's the big deal anyway? It's a free upgrade to solve the issues some of us have. You should be happy, no?
My HD100E goes into service today.

Mikael Widerberg March 21st, 2006 05:25 AM

Hd 100e

Good news for you in the states!

What about the Pal-version of the camera, anybody ho nows?

Diogo Athouguia March 21st, 2006 06:38 AM

Marc, where are you sending your camera to? Is JVC upgrading the firmware here in Europe?

Jiri Bakala March 21st, 2006 08:51 AM

Albert, I think that you don't understand this upgrade; they don't exchange the cameras, they upgrade them - meaning the owners get their very cameras back with upgraded software and whatever else is changed but it is the same camera that comes back, hence the S/N is all you need to check.

Kaspar Stromme March 21st, 2006 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Efrain Gomez
what does "improved NLE performance" entail?

So, if i bought my camera last month, should I do this upgrade?

:: efrain ::

I hope it fixes this: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=62465

Chris Hurd March 21st, 2006 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Albert Henson
There should be better verification that owners are receiving a "new" camera, not a refurbished unit.

Albert, it's important that you understand: HD100 owners receive NEITHER a new camera NOR a refurbished unit. Instead, they receive their own camera... the exact same camera they sent in.

Jiri is absolutely right, of course -- all you need to do is to note your serial number and make sure you get the same camera back that you sent in. Once again, there is no "camera exchange" involved here. It's a modification to the camera you own. Sure hope we're making this very clear here.

Terry Nixon March 21st, 2006 11:06 AM

these GY-HD100 (A) firmware updates should be a similar exercise to firmware updates created for the BR-DV3000U (B) and BR-DV6000 (B) DV VCRs. The boxes and machines were stickered to note the firmware update.

We've been able to forward old vcr's in for free updates to JVC service with out issue.

This should be a positive experience for GY-HD100U owners.

Jim Giberti March 21st, 2006 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Nixon
these GY-HD100 (A) firmware updates should be a similar exercise to firmware updates created for the BR-DV3000U (B) and BR-DV6000 (B) DV VCRs. The boxes and machines were stickered to note the firmware update.

We've been able to forward old vcr's in for free updates to JVC service with out issue.

This should be a positive experience for GY-HD100U owners.

Of course it's a positive experience. Read the JVC release, almost all the upgrade issues are with 3rd party integration. I'm really pleased with the fix for the broken clip issue that we experienced with a lot of our first footage in FCP. Obviously the fact that they say it will now work with the new Firestore is very good news for all of us who saw the HD100 as a "best of both worlds" tapeless system with a tape back-up.

Come to the light o' frightened and confused ones...it's all good.

When we decided to get a pair of these, knowing that the Firestore was still in development and there was no native 24p in FCP, and then having broken clips, I remember saying that it was February and the word around HD100 land was that these things would be addressed by March/April, so I had a little faith.

So here we are, the first day of spring and for the most part the only thing missing from the equation is native 24p, and that's an Apple issue that I'm also confident will be resolved soon. So I feel pretty good about the HD transition.

How many more people will ask "how long will it take" when JVC states clearly and precisely how long it will take and how it needs to be shipped and how they will return it?

C'mon guys...it's your camera, do your job and do your homework...everything you need to know JVC told you yesterday. You'll never be a great film maker if you can't read the freakin instructions <g>.

Stephen L. Noe March 21st, 2006 12:00 PM

NO PAL on GY-HD100UA

Yes, it's right. Now PAL on the HD-100UA. Seems there is a gray market the other way (from the states to EU) because the 100U (non A) is a "world" camera capable of every frame rate known to broadcasting with digital IO. In EU that's a NO NO (so I hear).

Further notes:

Also I hear the HD-100 will be setup at NAB in "studio configuration" with HD-SDI. No word on Len's but we'll see what's up at NAB. Also maybe the GY-HD7000 will make it's appearance with ProHDXE. We'll see....

Greg Boston March 21st, 2006 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen L. Noe
Also I hear the HD-100 will be setup at NAB in "studio configuration" with HD-SDI.

It was set up at NAB last year with the tape drive replaced by a cable fed to a live truck. It was my impression however that the camera had to be ordered in this configuration and that you couldn't swap out the tape mech with the SDI unit yourself.

-gb-

Panos Bournias March 21st, 2006 12:50 PM

Hd-sdi

I also got the information from the local JVC dealer. It will have a HD-SDI conf. that will be available as an extra attachment. He did not know about the price issue, but he said that it will be relatively cheap. Wait and see.
Panos B

Timothy McLin March 21st, 2006 02:35 PM

Okay, so I had my camera shipped out. I've never had the experience of shipping something this expensive before, is it typical for you to be treated like you're trying to commit postal fraud?

I don't have a UPS or Fed-Ex nearby so I went to the postal office, if they could insure the camera up to at least $5000 (I paid $5200 for it) I would use them. When I asked how much they could insure a package for they said $5000, "That's what I need."

Well, they went through the typical motions asking me questions about it, which I answered, but they were asked in a very inquisitive, "you're lying" tone. I then added on hoping to calm the situation, "It's a professional video camera." and got the "Yeah, right." look.

They told me they couldn't insure it unless it was packaged a certain way and I agreed and they asked if I had the receipt, "Yeah.", "Well, you're going to have to prove how much it cost if you want to get anything for it."

Nice. Anyway, I think I was treated this way more for my age than anything. I'm 22 now, but look younger. I was management at my last job by 20, and a GM at 21 and have had to deal with people who claimed I wasn't the manager. It's frustrating having to deal with people who doubt your sincerity due to your age or how you look, especially when it's been for a couple of years. Sorry to kvetch, I know this was off-topic for the thread.

Jim Giberti March 21st, 2006 03:40 PM

Embrace your youth my friend. At least they didn't look at you like you were a crazy old man. <g>.

Marc Colemont March 21st, 2006 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diogo Athouguia
Marc, where are you sending your camera to? Is JVC upgrading the firmware here in Europe?

I brought my camera in today.
They told me they will upgrade the camera to the same firmware/hardware as the current production units produced. It looks like I will get the same update as described on the official US statement yes.

The update will include the stuff Tim described before:
- Latest firmware for the firewire compatibility.
- A fix for the mode changing problem. I saw the kit. They will make a modification on the electronic circuit with two SMD resistors and two little wires to improve the circuit which introduces the mode changing problem on some units like mine. The technician said it was not related to a specific range of serial numbers. That's why it took some time before JVC discovered what was going on. Turns out until now, I'm the only one in Belgium who reported JVC the mode changing problem. Lucky me...
- For the minor SSE that pops-up now and then, he will re-calibrate my camera after the firmware update. He promised me to double check it.

More news when I pickup the camera Friday.

Tim Dashwood March 21st, 2006 03:51 PM

Wow Marc.

That's great news for the E models. Hopefully JVC Europe will start an official update program soon as well.

Tim Dashwood March 21st, 2006 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen L. Noe
Yes, it's right. Now PAL on the HD-100UA. Seems there is a gray market the other way (from the states to EU) because the 100U (non A) is a "world" camera capable of every frame rate known to broadcasting with digital IO. In EU that's a NO NO (so I hear).

Stephen, maybe you misread the FAQ. It says no PAL on the "U" models, just as before. Nothing has changed. Likewise the "E" models do not have NTSC.

576P60 is available on all models worldwide, but is not considered PAL. The same goes for 480P60, which is not NTSC.

Marc Colemont March 21st, 2006 04:08 PM

Note for Albert:
They did write down my serial number without asking, and gave me a printed copy of the Service Report sheet including the serial number, which I need to bring with me again when I pick up the camera.
So they do make sure that me, myself and I will get my OWN camera back.