Audio - Channel 1 - and Cinema Mode, Audio Levels at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old March 22nd, 2006, 03:33 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Audio - Channel 1 - and Cinema Mode, Audio Levels

Hi everyone:

I just received my HD100 and love it. I'm having trouble with the audio though. I've tested my mics and XLR adapters but I've been unable to have Channel 1 detect any audio (I'm basing that on the bars that appear on the screen to indicate audio level). Perhaps I've set it up wrong?

I know how to adjust Channel 2 to either microphone and that seems to work, but no matter which input I use for Channel 2 - nothing appears on Channel 1? Thoughts?

Two other random questions -

Also, if anyone has any thoughts to this - I'm going for the classic "film look" though I will only be outputting to HD - not film. I'm going to shoot in 24p with a 48fps. Should I go tinto the "Advanced Process" and use "CINEMA MODE"? I wasn't sure if that was something anyone has experience with?

Lastly, as far as audio settings, is it correct that in the menus it lists INPUT 1 & 2 at -50db - I thought I should be able to drop that to -20db.

Thanks so much,
Tommy

Last edited by Tommy Davis; March 22nd, 2006 at 03:35 AM. Reason: Two more questions
Tommy Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2006, 03:55 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Tommy,

With regard to audio channel make sure you have the correct setting with regard to input i.e. mic, line or 48v phantom. I had to try various configs for my radio mics. They work on mic not line even though the mic is not going directly into the unit. This is probably common sense for a sound buff but for me it took a little playing around. Additionaly, make sure if you are using phantom power 48v that the mic is not powered by anything else as I was told this may cause problems however I have not had a chance to test that.

With regard to your classic film look check out Paolo Ciccone 'true colour' settings and Tim Dashwood's 'wide latitude' settings both of these guys have done some extensive work on the subject amongst others.

Regards Greg C
Greg Corke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2006, 06:10 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks

Thanks Greg. I did try messing around with the Phantom Power option but still no luck. I'm at a real loss here, I hate to have to send the camerea back to JVC - might take it to a dealer and see if they can spot a glitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Corke
Hi Tommy,

With regard to audio channel make sure you have the correct setting with regard to input i.e. mic, line or 48v phantom. I had to try various configs for my radio mics. They work on mic not line even though the mic is not going directly into the unit. This is probably common sense for a sound buff but for me it took a little playing around. Additionaly, make sure if you are using phantom power 48v that the mic is not powered by anything else as I was told this may cause problems however I have not had a chance to test that.

With regard to your classic film look check out Paolo Ciccone 'true colour' settings and Tim Dashwood's 'wide latitude' settings both of these guys have done some extensive work on the subject amongst others.

Regards Greg C
Old March 22nd, 2006, 08:56 AM   #4
Major Player

For the microphone that comes with the camera the setting has to be "MIC+48V". Try this on both channels with the same microphone. If you have another microphone, try it as well. If both channels are configured identically and only one works, it could be a problem with the camera. Check also your menu settings and make sure they are identical for both channels. Good luck!
Old March 22nd, 2006, 08:26 PM   #5
Regular Crew

ok

I tried "MIC + 48V" and still nothing. Now I'm starting to wonder. I don't have the JVC Mic with me, I'm travling for a documentary shoot and I have a Sennheiser ME66 Mic attached instead. Do you think I need to have the original JVC microphone attached?

I tried out 3 different microphones (all Senheiser, both wireless and shotgun) and they all work, in both XLR inputs, but only one at a time, I'm not able to get two channels picked up at once.
Old March 22nd, 2006, 08:49 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Davis
Do you think I need to have the original JVC microphone attached?
No, you don't have to use the original mike. What you are describing is weird. Do you have a field mixer (or your soundman, if you ar working with one)? You could try to feed the camera XLRs with line level from the mixer (make sure you switch to LINE level first before you plug anything in). That way you could check if it's only the MIKE level that's a problem.
Old March 22nd, 2006, 08:52 PM   #7
Regular Crew

test

Jiri: I don't have a mixer available. I think I'm going to take the camera to an autorized dealer tomorrow and see if they have any hints (otherwise I guess I'll mail it back to B&H). Could there be anything in the menu settings that I'm missing?

Thanks for the help!
Tommy Davis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems