hd100 footage and VLC player at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old March 22nd, 2006, 03:41 AM   #1
Major Player

hd100 footage and VLC player

Hi Guys,

I may be posting this in the wrong place but I know there are a few here with a fair bit of experience with this. Basically when I view HDV through the VLC player it doesn't run that smoothly. I'm just wondering if anyone else has this problem Audio is fine it's just the visuals stutter a bit. I'm wondering if it may be my comp spec? I'm currently using a toshiba p20 laptop 3.2ghz pen 4 with 512mb ram. feeding from an 80 gig 5700 hard drive should this be able to handle the process or should I double my ram? I have also had the effect when viewing other peoples footage so that leads me to think it is the player or the computer rather than the footage.

Thanks in advance, Greg C.
Greg Corke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2006, 03:49 AM   #2
Major Player

vlc stutter with m2t's

yes Greg, I found the same thing running on a P4 2.8Ghz, with 1Gb Ram and a 256mb Radeon 9800 Pro, and Raid 0 array. I thought maybe my computer just wasn't upto the task with HD stuff, but maybe it's the player itself?
Adam Letch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2006, 04:01 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Adam thats nice to know. Maybe there is some way of setting the thing up to run more smoothly? You seem to have a better spec but the same problem. However, maybe this is as good as it gets? we shall see.

Regards, Greg C

P.S. I have relations over in Perth, great city.
Greg Corke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2006, 07:12 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Corke
Hi Guys,

I may be posting this in the wrong place but I know there are a few here with a fair bit of experience with this. Basically when I view HDV through the VLC player it doesn't run that smoothly. I'm just wondering if anyone else has this problem Audio is fine it's just the visuals stutter a bit. I'm wondering if it may be my comp spec? I'm currently using a toshiba p20 laptop 3.2ghz pen 4 with 512mb ram. feeding from an 80 gig 5700 hard drive should this be able to handle the process or should I double my ram? I have also had the effect when viewing other peoples footage so that leads me to think it is the player or the computer rather than the footage.

Greg,

You machine should be ample to view m2t. Instead of VLC, try Windows Media Player 10. You'll need the codec plugin which can be found Here. Click the link and do the install and it will load the codec and player control so you can view m2t high def and standard def in WMP10. Infinately better than VLC.
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2006, 10:01 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Corke
Hi Guys,

Try this player
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/dload.html
It works very nice!
Constantin Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2006, 12:16 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks guys , I think I'll try the WMP route first as I have a lesser version already on my comp. Thanks for the help, much obliged.

Regards, Greg C.
Greg Corke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems