ProHD DVD Player - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old March 23rd, 2006, 10:59 AM   #16
Major Player

Goinng back to a discussion we've ben having in a couple of other threads, I'm assuming the best way to burn FCP projects to DVD-R for this player would be as native files. Tim and Daniel...how did you export the FCP timelines to DVD?
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 11:16 AM   #17
Inner Circle

This player is basically the same unit as the IO-Data LinkPlayer2. The LinkPlayer2 can be purchased for about $250.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 11:34 AM   #18
Trustee

Everyone,

The player looks very good with the m2t files.

It is very quirky, like Steve mentioned about having
to stop playing the file and going back to the menu to select another m2t.

Also, playing some regular movie DVDs, the player just freezes at times.
I've owned it for about six weeks. I'd love to praise this player, but believe me it's very buggy. IODATA is coming out with another firmware update. If you question this, just visit their forum I posted above.
The good thing is we can update it via its network connection.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 12:16 PM   #19
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Giberti
Goinng back to a discussion we've ben having in a couple of other threads, I'm assuming the best way to burn FCP projects to DVD-R for this player would be as native files. Tim and Daniel...how did you export the FCP timelines to DVD?
I just used Lumiere HD to encode my exported timeline (AIC codec) into an m2t at 720P24. The player played it fine.
I also threw some raw m2t captures straight from tape onto the DVD-ROM.
I burned the DVD straight from Tiger: stick a blank in, drag the files to it, click burn.
Old March 23rd, 2006, 01:58 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Hicks
The SR-DVD100U is a wonderful tool for the distribution and playback of .m2t and Windows Media files. It can play back files that are on a disk, on a USB flash drive, on a USB hard drive, or through a ethernet connection to a PC or network.

It has both component and DVI outputs for video, and 2 channel analog audio out. I like to think of it as a "real-time data-to-video/audio converter"

I use it all the time at trade shows and seminars. I used it for 3 hours today at a seminar, in fact! Outputting to a HD LCD monitor or HD projector, I can't tell any difference between the SR-DVD100U footage and HDV directly from tape. It can upconvert and downconvert, so you can use it with any display - SD or HD.

And, it's by far the most economical way to distribute HD material.
Carl, have they worked out the issues with playing back HD WMV files? To me, thats just as important as playing back m2ts'.
Old March 23rd, 2006, 02:29 PM   #21
Inner Circle

you probably better to go with the KISS DP-600.
it plays every video format (including DivXHD and wmv9-HD) from a regular DVD-R, so you get the best of both DVD and HD-DVD world (cheap and hires).
it can play from a harddisk (optional) , from network (ethernet plug) or from DVD, DVD-R.
It all new, so we can expect some bug too, but KISS has a solid reputation of making very good players.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 02:54 PM   #22
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thomas
Steve, I'm not sure if I understand what you saying here..

BR and HD-DVD offer over five times the data capacity over DVD.
You only need enough space for a 2 hour movie. The amount of space is dependent on the codec. Use MPEG-2 and you need BR and HD DVD.

Use MPEG-2 AVC or VC1 and you don't. HD encode at 8-9Mbps.

Same quality.
Old March 23rd, 2006, 02:59 PM   #23
Inner Circle

interesting secret about the KISS DP-600.
http://www.mpeg-playcenter.com/kiss_...heres_more.htm
Old March 23rd, 2006, 03:03 PM   #24
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroud Francois
interesting secret about the KISS DP-600.
http://www.mpeg-playcenter.com/kiss_...heres_more.htm
It was shown at last year's NAB. A year later and it's not shipping in the USA.
Old March 23rd, 2006, 03:05 PM   #25
Inner Circle

the explanation from the website is the delay was probably due to the first 16 000 items sent directly to the MPAA.... but anyway , it is shiping now.
My preffered shop has it in price list, but delivery time is not yet indicated, so probably they have no stock yet.

ooops , correction, it is available now , but on special order.
But if you need just a storage place or a player you can transport easily, there are many standalone harddisk player that can output HD 1080i or 720p.
unfortunately, most of them are just playing SD video to 1080i, so there is no improvement to expect here.
And if you need a cheap storage +portability, using a new small SONY hdv is even better.

And last ressource, you can do as every TV shop is doing now, plug the huge HD ready demo plasma screen on a mini barebone PC running one of the HD microsoft demo.

Last edited by Giroud Francois; March 23rd, 2006 at 03:41 PM.
Old March 23rd, 2006, 03:40 PM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Giberti
Jim,

I probably do it the long way, but I edit native HDV in FCP and then print back to HDV tape. I then recapture the video with DVHSCap as a .m2t file. I then burn this to a DVD-R.

I tried exporting via compressor as an HDMPEG2 file where you can select a transport stream, but I didn't like the compression artifacts that I saw. Much cleaner off tape.

Dan Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 03:04 PM   #27
Major Player

Daniel:

I agree with Daniel about FCP back to Tape and then DVHScap m2t files, burn as UDF and the Linkplayer will play them just fine.

Compressor does a pretty bad job at encoding MPEG2's.

And the answer to your question about HDTS = G4 vs G5.
Tomas Chinchilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 10:35 PM   #28
JVC America

HD WMV files

Hi Joe,

I have downloaded HD WMV files from Microsoft's website, burned them to a DVD data disc, and played the disk with no problem. So, I'm not aware of the problem you are referring to.

Regards, Carl
Carl Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2006, 06:17 AM   #29
Major Player

Wmv Hd

Be careful with that, a few of those files you pulled from Microsoft are not DRM'ed

If you buy the actual WMVHD DVD from let's say Amazon, those will be encrypted using DRM and the Link player will not be able to play them. Unless you have a PC and you go thru the pain staking process (Workaround) of playing them from the Windows machine itself.
Tomas Chinchilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2006, 09:05 AM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Chinchilla

And the answer to your question about HDTS = G4 vs G5.
Tomas,

Thanks!! I should have figured that one out!!!

Dan Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems