Black Balance and something odd..? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old March 27th, 2006, 05:33 AM   #1
Major Player

Black Balance and something odd..?

Couldn't find this is the manual or on a search, so just to check, you can't adjust black balance manually on the HD101/100 can you?

Also, has anyone else noticed that the camera's colour behaves slightly strangely when underexposing. Underexposed areas of the picture seem to desaturate, more so than I have seen with other cameras. Maybe it's my settings but I have seen it on other footage on the web. Anyone else noticed this? Is it a result of black stretching?
Mike Marriage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 06:18 AM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Marriage
Couldn't find this is the manual or on a search, so just to check, you can't adjust black balance manually on the HD101/100 can you?

Also, has anyone else noticed that the camera's colour behaves slightly strangely when underexposing. Underexposed areas of the picture seem to desaturate, more so than I have seen with other cameras. Maybe it's my settings but I have seen it on other footage on the web. Anyone else noticed this? Is it a result of black stretching?
Yes it does, it's called Black Level.

All digital cameras desaturate in low light. This doesn't seem any differnent than all of the other cameras I've owned and tried.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 09:26 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thomas
Yes it does, it's called Black Level.
That's not the same thing Mike is asking. "Black Balance" is the opposite of white balance. Some cameras have this as a separate adjustment, whereas others do it automatically. The HD100 is likely one that does it automatically. (There is no manual setting for this.)
Old March 27th, 2006, 04:01 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thomas
All digital cameras desaturate in low light. This doesn't seem any differnent than all of the other cameras I've owned and tried.
Thanks for the replies guys.

Steven, I just mean that I have found the HD100 desaturates MORE than other cameras. I think it may be when I have black stretch on 3. This is why I now tend to use black stretch of 1 or 2 for my normal settings.

Earl is correct about the black balance. I still can't find a way of doing it. Anyone know for sure?
Mike Marriage is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems