Live Switching w/HD100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old April 3rd, 2006, 01:23 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Live Switching w/HD100

Has anyone tried to switch the HD100 live in HDV? I'm looking into the Edirol switcher that does HD. I will try it for a week next week, just wanted to know if anyone else has tried. Hoping to use it for a couple of tv shows shot live to tape, then a little post later.

Other option would be FCP, has anyone ever tried using Multicam feature with HDV. I know I could post everything but if I can save some time, it'll save a lot of money.

BTW, I'm not on a MAC system yet, just need to know what will work best for my circumstances first.

Thank-you for any of your feedback.
Brian Chow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 01:31 PM   #2
Wrangler

Brian,

You should call my dealer in Hamilton. Peter Bauce, 905-522-1200. He can advise you on live switching of HD100. He recently installed a bunch of HD100s at CTS and did some sort of live switching setup. I think he was able to do with firewire, but I'm not sure. He's the expert when it comes to live stuff.

As for FCP and multicam: It works great, but on my system (dual G4 1.2Ghz) I don't have the horsepower to do even 3 streams of HD material multicam, so I had to convert to offlineRT to offline.
Old April 3rd, 2006, 01:40 PM   #3
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Chow
Other option would be FCP, has anyone ever tried using Multicam feature with HDV. I know I could post everything but if I can save some time, it'll save a lot of money.
I've done a lot of multicam editing with FCP5, and a little with the HD100 specifically. I can get 8 streams of 720p24 AIC HDV playing in real time on my dual 2ghz. I can do about 4-5 of native HDV before things start to get so slow that I'd rather offline RT the media.
Old April 3rd, 2006, 01:42 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks Tim,
I will call him. I have heard though that firewire would not be an option since there will be a delay. Do you think the new MAC book pro could handle 3-4 streams of HDV?
BTW, I always view this forum and I have to say how nice it is to see people like yourself constantly helping the production community. I'm sure I'm speaking on behalf of many people. Thank-you.
Old April 3rd, 2006, 02:13 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Chow
Has anyone tried to switch the HD100 live in HDV? I'm looking into the Edirol switcher that does HD. I will try it for a week next week, just wanted to know if anyone else has tried. Hoping to use it for a couple of tv shows shot live to tape, then a little post later.

BTW, I'm not on a MAC system yet, just need to know what will work best for my circumstances first.

Thank-you for any of your feedback.
If you are talking about the V-440HD it is a VERY nice piece. I saw a demo on it in the winter and for the money, in a live scenario that switcher is a great solution.
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 04:44 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thats the one Stephen,

You're the one that told me about it. Roland will loan us one for the week to try. The switcher is the least expensive thing. Still have to worry about monitors, cameras, sticks, clear coms etc.. Starting to be big $$$. Should be able to make some money off it though since there is no one else offering a middle of the road live switching package.

Thanks for the help again
Old April 3rd, 2006, 05:14 PM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

And thank you, Brian. You've just made the 10,000th post on this forum. That's a significant milestone. This is the single largest and most popular HD100 community on the web, thanks entirely to folks like you. Much appreciated. And by the way, just to help keep things on topic, I have a brochure here on that Edirol mixer and it looks very interesting. I'm hearing it has quite an affordable price, too. If anyone knows what it retails for, please say so.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 06:31 PM   #8
Regular Crew

the price is going for $12,000
Old April 3rd, 2006, 07:01 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
And thank you, Brian. You've just made the 10,000th post on this forum. That's a significant milestone.
Hey Chris, what's he getting as a prize? You know like when you are the 10,000th shopper at Walmart?
...:-)
Old April 3rd, 2006, 07:36 PM   #10
Obstreperous Rex

He wins access to our coveted Private Classifieds forum! Oh wait, he already has that.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2006, 04:05 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Lost now

Ok, so I have the edirol V440 HD now, 3 hd100's, an HD Cam deck, a br50 deck and a whole bunch of monitors. Everything is on loan other that a couple of HD100's. The goal is to set up a live switching system for a couple of tv shows. These are switched live but there is some post as well.

Here is the question of the day.The edirol V440HD switches without a hitch but just outputs to analog BNC Component, it's great to watch on a plasma but how does one get it into the JVC deck? SD is no problem of course. Just trying to put this system together without going bankrupt.

Even if I get an analog to HD-SDI converter, it won't help. I already have a firewire - HD-SDI converter (on loan as well) that does me no good. I'm sure with the talent out here in these forums that someone might have a suggestion.

Thanks
Brian
Old April 10th, 2006, 06:20 PM   #12
Trustee

Seems like you're missing a piece. The out's on the Edirol should feed the in's on the BR50 or is that your goal? What exactly are you feeding? An encoder for uplink or are you trying to master to a tape format?
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2006, 08:00 PM   #13
Major Player

The old in and out...

If the Edirol only has analog component outs, how can its outputS connect to the inputS on the BR-HD50? AFAIK those components RCA's are output only. There are SD Y/C and composite ins, but that doesn't seem to be what's being discussed on this thread.

What am I missing here... I'd be stoked to find out that I'm wrong and those component outs will become ins when you push the record button and accept an incoming analog component HD signal and then encode it to HDV and put it on tape!!!!!!!! But I don't think so.

Options besides HDV firewire to get into that deck HD are tough. Firewire to SDI converters are easy to find, because there seems to be a market for going from HDV to SDI for broadcast, etc. But I spent quite a bit of time trying to find something that did the opposite without luck.

I was even referred to a supposed "bi-directional" device by an esteemed DVInfo maven, but when I tried the link he provided, it turned out not to go SDI HD to HDV firewire after all. Of course there are SD devices that go SDI to DV firewire, but again, that isn't what's being discussed here.

Right now, it seems tough to go into that deck at HD quality from a source that outputs anything other than native HDV firewire. I know that you can do it with a full-on Cineform Prospect system or their Wafian device, but I'm talking about a real-time, stand-alone converter.

Well, with NAB coming up maybe somebody will have recognized that there is a market for converting HD SDI down to HDV firewire and will release a stand-alone product, or maybe somebody here knows of something on the market now that I wasn't able to find. I'd love to hear some good news here.

Tip
Tip McPartland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2006, 09:37 AM   #14
Contributor

Yes it seems nothing converts to HDV (plenty of [expensive] devices which go the other way). I'm guessing because it's technically an inferior format to the source (HD-component or HD-SDI) engineers think no one wants to degrade the signal or something like that.

I would suggest your cheapest solution would be to build your own HD Component recorder, using Aja's Xena card, a dual Opteron and Cineform's HD capture codec and plenty of fast hard drive space.

http://www.aja.com/products_xena.html
http://www.cineform.com/products/ProspectHD.htm

Either that or the Kona card with analogue in and a Mac with plent of storage and you can go straight to DVCProHD (built in hardware codec in the Kona).

http://www.aja.com/products_kona.html#lh

Either that or hire a Wafien, or even an HD-Cam deck with component input - I noticed the mixer you're using has dual componet and RGBHV outputs. Or take an Avid Adrenaline with the DNXcel board on location.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2006, 09:54 AM   #15
Major Player

John, how much space we need on harddrive for 720/60p recording ?
And what kined of file the Xena record? .m2t?

Laszlo

Last edited by Laszlo Horvath; April 12th, 2006 at 07:03 AM.
Laszlo Horvath is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems