Jvc Gy-hd250 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old April 7th, 2006, 12:03 AM   #1
HDV Cinema

Jvc Gy-hd250

In the current issue of TV Technology (page 62), JVC's Craig Yanagi is quoted as saying their new GY-HD250 camcorder supports "... 60p capture and recording." The new camcorder features HD-SDI output, timecode sync., a studio CCU option, and a composite video input.

While there is no reason to not expect a 60p ProHD camcorder at NAB 2006 -- this would not be the first time a staff writer didn't get the story 100% correct in the frantic time before NAB. On the other hand, the quote clearly mentions both "capture and RECORDING." But so is "Smooth Motion."

What's interesting is that it seems clear this is another version of the HD100 since it described as such. In fact, at NAB 2005, CCU and HD-SDI versions of the HD100 were shown.

No prices or ship dates were given in the story. Nor is there any mention of PCM audio.
Old April 7th, 2006, 12:38 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

And this would be their forthcoming 2/3rd-inch shoulder mount HDV camcorder, mockup on display last year and earlier. Has it been referred to as the GY-HD250 before, or is the model number new info? I can't recall it.

I think I said this back in November, but JVC was very smart to snag Craig Yanagi after he became available last year. Formerly of Sony, he really knows his stuff. Kudos to JVC for reeling him in.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2006, 01:49 AM   #3
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
And this would be their forthcoming 2/3rd-inch shoulder mount HDV camcorder, mockup on display last year and earlier.
According to the story it seems not. That was the "7000" if I remember right. This is decribed as "... building on the compact shoulder form factor ...".

They also note 12,000 HD100s have been sold in 9 months.
Old April 7th, 2006, 08:27 AM   #4
Trustee

very interesting! Thanks Steve.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2006, 09:55 AM   #5
Major Player

I had heard something similar from our JVC regional rep--he just referred to it as a studio version of the HD100 to be shown at NAB.
Warren Shultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2006, 10:31 AM   #6
Major Player

I thought I read it here... unless it was when I rented the camera...

That there was a rumor that a upgraded HD100 would have the things talked about above...
Gary McClurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2006, 12:09 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Given their history, it would seem to make sense they are coming out with a studio version, probably at a much higher price point too.
Old April 12th, 2006, 04:28 AM   #8
Regular Crew

JVC rep at CABSAT Dubai said they would definitely have a studio camera at NAB. At least, that's what he said, I rarely know when to believe a rep.
Conor Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2006, 08:08 PM   #9
Major Player

Here's another article that talks about the GY-HD250. It also mentions "60p encoding" and a "compact shoulder form factor" and some studio capabilities. Also, as expected, "several" new lenses are to be introduced.

http://videosystems.primediabusiness...eo_nab_update/
Tim Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2006, 08:52 PM   #10
Trustee

The question is whether it's 60p to tape or DTE. If to tape then I think they'd have to speed up the tape transport (wouldn't they?). I think Tim D. said he was able to get HDV720/60p out to tape somehow and thought it was a fluke. I'd love to have known the datarate for Tims experiment.
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2006, 08:58 PM   #11
Wrangler

You can do 720p60 to 19mbs, which means you wouldn't have to speed up the transport.

The question is, is the encoding good enough for twice the images at the same data rate?

Or, think of it this way: 1080i60 HDV already squeezes in the same amount of pixels in the same timeframe as 720p60...and some would say the overall quality is lower.
Old April 12th, 2006, 09:06 PM   #12
Trustee

Right Nate, however, the math for 15GOP is much more efficient than 6GOP. I would think at 6GOP and double the fps then the datarate would double (minus the audio which would remain the same). This is, of course, keeping the same compression scheme as the current encoder in place.

We'll see....
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2006, 09:37 PM   #13
Regular Crew

I'd like to see a better ccd block. 1/2", better sensitivity, maybe the same ccds as the Sony XDCam?
Chris Basmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2006, 10:42 PM   #14
Major Player

Maybe the new camera will be based on the ProHD XE format, which would free it from the confines of the HDV specs?

I wouldn't count on a change in sensor size for the HD100 form factor. With new lenses coming, that camera, at that price point, is clearly going to stay 1/3", IMO.

However, you could always go for broke and get the $28K, 2/3" GY-HD7000 :)
Tim Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2006, 12:54 AM   #15
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim N Le
Maybe the new camera will be based on the ProHD XE format, which would free it from the confines of the HDV specs?
The HD100 is already ProHD so it is "free" of the HDV format.

According to Chris, Canon got the HDV group to expand its definition of HDV. So, JVC likely had/has the same option. But from a marketing, view they may have felt "ProHD" sounded better than just "HDV." Canon likely wanted "HDV" so they could introduce lower-cost units. Likewise, Sony is fine with HDV since it's "pro" version is XDCAM HD.

I'm curious if a 1 or 2 channel PCM capability will be introduced at NAB.

Anyone check their A versions to see if the single PCM channel is now providing clean audio?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems