DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Anyone using this camera for weddings/receptions? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/64563-anyone-using-camera-weddings-receptions.html)

Craig Terott April 7th, 2006 07:12 AM

Anyone using this camera for weddings/receptions?

I seriously considering this camera for weddings. Actually I'm seriously considering the 720p30 format. The camera I choose will see a lot of motion at receptions (dancing) and I guess (rightly or wrongly) I'm not sold on the performance of the 1080i 15 frame GOP which seems to not be so hot handling motion. There are some other factors involved also but thos are the primary ones.

Anyone currently using this camera for weddings?

Marc Colemont April 8th, 2006 02:50 AM

Hi Craig,

I use it for all sorts of events. From corporate, concert to wedding.

Chris Basmas April 8th, 2006 04:13 AM

Just make sure you lite up well. No dark candid shots with this cam. Let'em know in advance that you need big lights for HD. It's like shooting with the good old one piece cams of the early 90's. Only better.

Mike Marriage April 8th, 2006 04:35 AM

I've used it for one wedding and it was great. One IDX lasting ALL day. Nice weight too.

I shot some VERY low light stuff with it, part of it only lit by UV lights and I think it coped quite well. Personally I prefer to use gain and boosted gamma rather than turn the lights up. I also prefer a dark, intimate look for the first dance. It also allows me to lurk in the shadows unnoticed :-)

I did however discover the SSE on 2 shots. I still used them anyway but I think one was only at +6dB of gain. I think that by using black stretch and boosting the gamma also has an effect on SSE. Isn't black stretch just applying gain to the black areas anyway?

Jemore Santos April 8th, 2006 08:03 AM

great cam for weddings, really is, but a couple of things you should consider no AutoExposure, if there is a spotlight on the couple the lens is full manual there so you will have to adjust, the lens also breathes so be careful with that. 30p is very hard to over crank, it is too edgy. besides that the images produced by this camera is beautiful.

goodluck!

Laszlo Horvath April 8th, 2006 09:22 AM

I use two of them strictly for weddings with great success.

Laszlo

Mike Marriage April 8th, 2006 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jemore Santos
great cam for weddings, really is, but a couple of things you should consider no AutoExposure...

Mine's got AE...? Maybe the UK model is different...

Tim Dashwood April 8th, 2006 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Marriage
Mine's got AE...? Maybe the UK model is different...

They all have Auto Exposure. Just flip the switch on the lens from "M" to "A" to turn auto-iris on... just like any ENG style lens.

John Mitchell April 11th, 2006 09:46 AM

Yeah I think Jemore meant no autofocus, maybe?