Using the JVC deck or not? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old April 11th, 2006, 09:53 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Forman
The Firestores certainly do sound like they are a simple workflow, faster and easier than a deck. BUT- it is a hard drive, and hard drives will fail at one point or another... usually when you need it the most, and have nothing backed up. Damn you Murphy!

Anyways, just having a tape in your cam as a backup, can save the day. And, if you need to capture that tape's footage, you either need a deck, or your cam. So, I can't see any reason to not have a deck, aside from not being able to afford one.

For budget minded shooters, this is the big plus with the new Firestores. In my experience, while always a concern on any project, hard drive failure has, thankfully never cost us a minute of work over the years.
Now obviously a field operated hard drive is a thing unto itself, but I'm assuming that by its nature it has been designed robustly.

So, of course, you drop a $5 mini dv tape into your drive while capturing to hard drive and in that hopefully rare instance that you have a drive failure you can use your HD100 as capture device for your backup without the cost of a deck.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2006, 10:37 AM   #17
Regular Crew

yeah Jim that's kind'a what i was thinking also, that record your footage to your firestore and have a tape in there recording at the same time (your back up to the hard drive) i think you HAVE to have a tape in there anyway? is that correct? could be wrong

when you finish a project in FC can you take the saved file/footage and back it up on tape? that can be done with the deck? yes the BR-HD50 Deck.
Old April 11th, 2006, 10:44 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Is there a way to control it with a serial cable maybe with a usb connector...could that be a problem. I'm under the impression time code is a little "funny" with hdv. Most of my footage is 30p so I'm not dealing with the 24 issue.
Jeff Morrissette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2006, 10:46 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Although I'm surprised I cannot even pull up a picture on the computer.

External monitor looks good....man I live hdv. It may not be real HD but for the price and size it looks fine to me.

I also have some dv footage which still won't show up when run throught he deck. My dsr 11 looks fine.
Old April 11th, 2006, 10:47 AM   #20
Regular Crew

I know the upgrade to the jvc prohd camera has something to do with editing. Could the deck need upgrading too? Are they offering it?

I bouth the stuff back in dec.
Old April 11th, 2006, 11:41 AM   #21
Major Player

Does the deck play the mini-Dv and full DV casettes OK? No drop outs on DV on Sony tapes?
I wanna know in case I replace my current Sony DV deck
Marc Colemont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2006, 11:50 AM   #22
Regular Crew

So far as the deck by itself, not including the nle issues. I love it. It's a real deck, component out, serial out, fire out etc. The only thing missing is a jog shuttle. Dv is fine.

But like i said so far, it is still new to me. I really like the fact it plays full cassettes too.
Old April 11th, 2006, 01:08 PM   #23
New Boot

I have the deck and edit to Premiere 2.0. It works great with dv and dvcam.
But I still cannot get Adobe to see it while it is in HDV Mode. After I totally uninstalled and re instlled the program and after 1 hour on the phone with Adobe I am still unable to see it. Adobe told me that JVC is not on the list of "tested" equipment. But the deck is great with standard DV.
David Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2006, 02:21 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Humm, I can't see it in dv mode either. Maybe it is the cable. It's usually the last thing you think of right.
Old April 11th, 2006, 02:25 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Ok got DV picture but still not deck control.
Old April 11th, 2006, 03:07 PM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Glen
i'm curious how many of you JVCHD100 users picked up the JVC deck as well for playback/capture...or are you just using the camera to play back and capture in to your NLE?

I also have the deck, but if I had a choice between a DTE disk system or the deck (it was not an option for me at the time) I would go with the DTE disk. More so if you do not need to deliver finished on the mini DV tape format. I look at all the time I spend shooting AND digitizing... ACK! 4 hours of shoot time followed by 3-4 hours of EDL / digitizing. DTE disk here I come.
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2006, 04:21 PM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Morrissette
Ok got DV picture but still not deck control.

Jeff... have you got the Remote/Local switch set correctly?... just a thought...

Stu...
www.studioscotland.co.uk
Stewart Menelaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2006, 04:28 PM   #28
Regular Crew

yep. cable is fine too.

grunt.
Old April 11th, 2006, 04:33 PM   #29
Regular Crew

I may have to suck it up and get a pc for now.

ugh the thought.
at least I don't mind avid.

Thanks everyone.

Hopefully the intel g5's come out by the end of the week.
I hate to spend the money twice.

I'll give tech support one last call.
Old April 11th, 2006, 05:06 PM   #30
Wrangler

Jeff,

I tried the deck out for a day with Final Cut Pro and it worked beautifully. I even worked out an offline/online workflow for 720P24 using TC via the RS-422 and Decklink with automated pulldown removal.

I was also able to make the deck work as expected in full firewire HDV mode as well as DV mode. I just had to switch the remote switch to the right setting. The REM SEL HDV/DV just needs to be turned ON in the REMOTE menu.

However, for the best pre-roll accuracy when using RS-422, I had to set the CONTROLLER SEL in REMOTE menu to TYPE7. You may want to try the same thing.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems